OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Splinter Cell… MGS Ripoff or legit game?

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by stellarcomics, Aug 21, 2013.

1. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

I see a new Splinter Cell is about to come out; anyone ever play any of those games?
    I rented the last one, hated it after an hour and sent it back to Gamefly.
    Is this game worth a shit or is it what I thought it was; a lame-ass Metal Gear ripoff?

2. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

Played through most of the first one. It's...meh.

3. hardhead

hardhead Registered User

You cannot judge the series by Conviction. The only two levels like the other games was the NSA headquarters, and the Whitehouse. The gameplay of the series is more like
    Rainbow Six then Metal Gear (IMO). I have not played Blacklist yet, but from the trailers it look like they want back to some thing closer to Double Agent with more freedom of choice and repercussions.

SOS likes this.
  4. DR. Jimcy M.E.

No micheal ironside = no playing

The charm of the game was this was a grizzled supposed to be retired vet spy. Now they made him young or whatever, fuck them.

WadsOfShit likes this.
  5. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

The first three were excellent. If you played SC like Rainbow Six, you were doing it wrong. It's a stealth game like MGS, but with a lot less weapons, camo, etc. and with tighter environments.

6. DR. Jimcy M.E.

It's based far more in reality then MGS, Metal Gear seems more like a stealth anime game. I played the first couple metal gear games, tried the third for ps3 but got kinda bored with the non-stop cutscenes.

Splinter Cell is an American Espionage game. No magic powers, no big boss coming to life or whatever.

I personally prefer SC until they got rid of Micheal Ironside, he was the heart and soul of Sam Fisher.

7. WhiteHonkyDevil

WhiteHonkyDevil El hombre de los moleculos!

LOVED the MGS games. Thought the first Splinter Cell game was going to be awful until a friend talked me into getting it. Since then, been a die hard fan. The new game? I just put on subtitles, as the two new voices suck cock

Overall, though? I prefer SC to MGS

8. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

IMO, SC has gone downhill since Chaos Theory. Easily the best of the series. Never liked MG.

9. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

I've played some Splinter Cell and enjoyed it. But I also enjoyed some of the Hitman games so what do I know?

Admittedly, I am not versed in modern gaming at all. But admit to liking the SC/Hitman style games.

10. Evil Star

Evil Star Snow Crash

Hitman: Blood Money is one of the best games ever made. The last one Hitman: Absolution was shit though.

11. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Splinter Cell has always been better than MG. MG is waaaay overhyped.

That being said, I don't really enjoy either.

12. DR. Jimcy M.E.

This new game is very very good, but the sam fisher voice always hinders my fun. I get past a whole level, get a ghost medal for no kills and then I have to hear that awful new generic voice.

13. bill333

bill333 Go Screw!

Really liked the SC games but my new puter power supply shit the bed and needed a new system. I looked over what the new SC requirements were, I said fuck it. I'm not going to try and keep up with the Jones' anymore. I don't really game anymore anyway. By the time you get done getting a good graphics card and all, you've spent a boatload of money and I'm tired of going to the computer shows and building a machine

BTW, the new PC came with Windows 8...I fuckin' hate this shit

14. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I've been using the same machine for like 4 or 5 years. Just replaced the video card about a year ago for less than 200 bucks. So unless you're buying 500 dollar cards you're doing something wrong.

15. bill333

bill333 Go Screw!

Mine is at least 8 yrs old. From what I read, minimum graphics requirement is a Geforce gtx 660, at $200.and a psu of at least 450w , but like I said, wouldn't be worth it for me to chase the gaming requirements, for the amount of time I'd be playing it. Everything on mine is barely making the bottom line 2G RAM, 2.3 CPU 300w psu ( lucky to be 250) About the only thing worth a damn is the OS and HD, so you know as soon as you get this shit together, new tech. comes out and you're left behind.

16. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

I was playing Hitman: Absolution for awhile and just got annoyed having to reset to keep doing all those side goals. You're off by a split second...

17. DR. Jimcy M.E.

If you do upgrade get a higher power supply for sure. I use an 800watt PSU, I blew out way to many 350w power supplies before I learned my lesson. Ever since I got the 800 I never have any problems.

18. bill333

bill333 Go Screw!

Years ago I would have upgraded easily but looking at getting a new vehicle

19. Foggy

Foggy I'm wasting my life here
    Donator

The difference between MGS and SC is that MGS is stealth and action and has a storyline that would rival any film, whereas SC is just a stealth game with a fairly generic story.

Playing Splinter Cell was about as engaging as Minesweeper.

20. DR. Jimcy M.E.

"Liar whore, liar whore, and you know it."

21. Foggy

Foggy I'm wasting my life here
    Donator

Ever since you dropped the Colin Quinn avatar, I don't even know who you are any more, man.

22. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

I'm a Metal gear fan, but that storyline was ridiculously convoluted. Too many twists and turns in the characters: bad guys turning into other bad guys, then retcon-ing it later. Then all of the good and bad guys were working together all along (Except Snake). Shit!

DR. Jimcy M.E. likes this.
  23. rockpup

rockpup Sick Puppy

I liked this splinter cell. The way you could select missions and what order you do stuff kept me interested as I could break up the storyline and unlock better gear with side jobs.