Splitting Up MP3's

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Dec 9, 2004
Upper West Side, NY
Anyone know of a free program that can split MP3's up into smaller files? I've wanted to chop up some files from the show that I have, but I have no idea how the hell to do it.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Anyone know of a free program that can split MP3's up into smaller files? I've wanted to chop up some files from the show that I have, but I have no idea how the hell to do it.
I use goldwave, though there are many other sound editors out there.
www.goldwave.com

The trial version never expires, but is limited to a hundred or so mouse clicks per session. Plenty if you aren't doing anything fancy.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
For quick editing I use Adobe Audition. You can download a 30-day trial from Adobe's web site https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?loc=en_us&product=audition. You just have to try to learn how to actually use the program within that time period :p

It's pretty straight forward though. If you have problems with it or if it looks too difficult for you to use then you can also find some consumer programs like Apple Garage Band or Sony's basic level of Acid (Acid Pro is it's professional version). I think you can pick up both of those last two programs for between $75-100.

Sony's Acid may be a lot easier for you to use dude because it has non-destructive editing to where you can cut the clips but then pull them back out again by click+drag if you fucked up. It's a basic program that's pretty good for people new to audio editing. You can also download a trial of that from http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?pid=443

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
Dec 9, 2004
Upper West Side, NY
thanks for all the advice fellas. im gonna give all these a go sometime today and see what works best for me. much obliged.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Sorry to post on topic, but try Audacity - free and easy to use.

Does a lot more, recording from any input - even streams, multi-tracking, etc., but works perfectly well for your purposes.

Non-destructive as well. As long as you don't overwrite the orginal mp3 files, you can save your edits, etc.

You can now resume your off-topic wonderment of life in Israel and gorgeous Israeli women. Dated one briefly - hot and smart.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Sorry to post on topic, but try Audacity - free and easy to use.
Seconded for Audacity. I love it. Small enough to throw on my thumb drive... and I use it at work to isolate audio of our anchors flubbing lines... Gonna make a soundboard of them... (Like my own joke-bombing sound effect Instant Replay machine.)

Only thing I don't like about Audacity is that the waveform is like a tenth of a second behind the actual audio when you play something. But for what it does and the price (free!) I can totally deal with it. It's not a problem at all.