sports and bad economic times

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
This is an odd question that I doubt anyone would know, but what the hell.
Anyone know a correlation on how sports and sports revenue reacts to harsh economics? I ask because I work in sports field. I have 2 jobs at the moment, but have put resumes out due to one of them not "feeling" very secure due to the nature of the job and the economy. I had a few job offers come in and almost pretty much match my ESPN job numbers wise, but I'm wondering what might be more secure. I more or less have a good feeling on how these other fields might react to the economy, but am clueless about ESPN. Don't know if they would go unscathed by the upcoming shitstorm, or take a hit.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I know it affects ticket sales, with the Detroit Red Wings being the best example of that. Elite team, but not selling out this season because of Michigan's shit economy. I don't think it affects things other than sales revenue for teams though.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Well I don't know about "sports" sports but in recreational sports sales jump when the economy slows down because more people stay close to home and play games.

They also take closer trips and vacations usually in-state instead of going places like Florida and the like.

I don't know about game ticket sales though. They'd turn a higher profit if they'd lower tickets and get more asses in the seats though. They just aren't worth going to when it ends up costing $100 to watch a fucking game thats not in the playoffs.

Fuck em. When people can't afford to go to games then they just watch them on TV so viewership will go up. I think the economy would help out there at ESPN instead of hurting it since more people will go to a sports bar or stay at home to watch games.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Pretty sound reasoning, and makes me feel okay about things I'm hearing. Not like I'm getting smoke blown up my ass. Thanks all.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Another thing, ESPN isn't tied to one particular sport which probably provides even more "insulation" from the carnage that is going to take place elsewhere in the sports industry.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Even with ticket prices at all time highs sports like baseball set attendance records every year. ESPN itself is owned by Disney/ABC/Whatever else they own. I don't see ESPN struggliong much in the coming years.

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
I'd imagine a bad economy affects everything , including sports. It makes those unaffordable tickets even more unaffordable.....but then again its huge companies buying tons of tickets so what the fuck do they care?

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I'd assume the sport itself will affect ticket sales more than the economy. Like with the Pats going 18-0.... holy fuck, pretty exciting shit. The NFL is going to be pretty popular next year, I guarantee you.... the Patriots roped lots of people in.

That whole "Yankee/Red Sox" rivalry finally fizzled out... I'd assume tickets will be mediocre next year. Just nothing exciting going on.

Hockey? There's always Canada... and that's why that sport will forever be popular.

Basketball? Don't follow it, but never hear anything about it. Nothing very exciting. I guess the Rockets 22 game winning streak was pretty huge, but the rest is bleh.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I'd assume the sport itself will affect ticket sales more than the economy. Like with the Pats going 18-0.... holy fuck, pretty exciting shit. The NFL is going to be pretty popular next year, I guarantee you.... the Patriots roped lots of people in.

That whole "Yankee/Red Sox" rivalry finally fizzled out... I'd assume tickets will be mediocre next year. Just nothing exciting going on.

Hockey? There's always Canada... and that's why that sport will forever be popular.

Basketball? Don't follow it, but never hear anything about it. Nothing very exciting. I guess the Rockets 22 game winning streak was pretty huge, but the rest is bleh.
Yankees/Red Sox rivalry has fizzled out? Are you kidding me? That rivalry is always going to be there. Besides the Mets/Yankees interleague games, the Red Sox series sell out the fastest. That rivalry will be there long after your children's children's children are in the ground.

Basketball - ever hear of the NCAA?? March Madness? As for the pros, try living in an area where there are three pro teams and tell me you don't hear about it, even if the Knicks suck as they do. And if you watch TV on a Sunday, there's usually an NBA and/or college game on. I think there's a college game usually on Saturdays as well.

As for ESPN, like everyone else said, Sobi, they're diversified in their coverage to where I don't think you have to worry. Don't forget, they covered the Scripps National Spelling Bee last year as well as how many eating contests?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'd assume the sport itself will affect ticket sales more than the economy. Like with the Pats going 18-1.... holy fuck, pretty exciting shit. The NFL is going to be pretty popular next year, I guarantee you.... the Patriots roped lots of people in.
Fixed it for ya. :action-sm

Apr 14, 2003
Eastern MD
ESPN/ABC has NASCAR cup later this season, and if the ratings follow the same trend that they have on Fox (up about 5% for each race, with about 11-12 million watching), that's another sport that will keep your job there secure.