Spot the SS agents: Malia Obama at One Direction concert

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005

I'm calling Cheech Marin on the far left and the lady in the awful african-american full-head mask on the top right.

Several media outlets have again pulled or edited already-published articles about the activities of President Barack Obama’s daughter, even though the stories appeared to pose no active security risk to the first family.

On Thursday, 14-year-old Malia Obama attended a concert by the British boy band One Direction at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va., flanked by Secret Service agents who attempted unsuccessfully to blend in with the crowd of mostly pre-teen girls.

At one point during the concert, the boy bands’ teen heartthrobs sang, “You’re insecure, Dunno what for, You’re turning heads when you walk through the door” — words that managed to take on some meaning for Malia, who looked less than enthused by the presence of multiple middle-aged federal agents at her side.

On Friday, the story was picked up by the liberal website The Huffington Post, which ran the headline, “Malia Obama, One Direction Fan: First Daughter Attends Boy Band Concert with Secret Service in Tow.”

Within hours, the entire post was scrubbed from the site without explanation, and the post’s URL was hastily changed to direct users to the site’s celebrity section.

The next day, news aggregation website Buzzfeed ran a story on the event, accompanied by a picture of Malia in attendance at the concert. The headline was “Malia Obama Goes to the One Direction Concert with the Secret Service,” and the story’s picture showed Malia standing awkwardly in front of a scowling male Secret Service agent, with what appear to be two additional female Secret Service agents standing to her right.

By Sunday, the headline had changed to “Secret Service Agent Does Not Appear To Enjoy One Direction Concert,” and Buzzfeed had cropped the photo to remove Malia entirely, leaving only a narrow shot of the unhappy Secret Service agent. Again, the author of the post, Hillary Reinsberg, left no explanation for scrubbing Malia from the story and the picture, nor did she provide any indication to readers that it had occurred.
Media hastily erase articles about Malia Obama’s appearance at One Direction Concert

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
How many warships accompanied her to the concert this time?
If this is such a non-story, why did the scrub brigade have to get HuffPo and Buzzfeed to dump it? I guess Dear Leader needs an especially good image right now.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I feel sorry for those agents for having to listen to two hours of British boy band music. Even though they're not military, they should get Purple Hearts for sitting through that shit.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Off topic but why can't people ever put their camera phones down and just watch whatever they're watching? I can see taking a couple pictures but you see some people watch the whole event on their little video screen. How is that fun?

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
1.) Non-story: President's daughter goes to a concert, is unhappy about the level of Secret Service protection.

I mean, really. She's a young girl. Yes, her dad's the POTUS and some of us may not like him, but it's part of the bargain when you become POTUS that your family gets protection but they're still allowed to be people. The girl wanted to go to a concert. Nothing wrong with that. She got Secret Service protection. Yeah, that's expensive for the taxpayer, but that's part of the deal when you elect someone POTUS. She doesn't like that she has Secret Service protection. Well, boo fucking hoo. That's also part of the deal when your dad gets elected POTUS. Yes, it's fiction, but the Zoey Bartlet kidnapping angle from the West Wing TV show is why there's this level of security. A President's family is prime kidnapping material, let alone assassination targets.

Is it really newsworthy? For the celebrity gossip level of newsworthiness, I guess. But it's not a big deal.

2.) Is the face that it got pulled newsworthy? Quite a bit more, IMO. It's not like there's a real security issue. The Secret Service personnel are rotated pretty frequently and even Malia's principle agent (if pictured) is just a single agent. If the woman to Malia's immediate right is her principle agent, it's not like you couldn't figure that out in 30 minutes of casual observation if you were an evil person with bad intent.

The only reason to pull the story that I can figure (and I invite any of you to supply a better reason) is to cover for President Obama. Which is fine. But then, that's a fucking story. A media outlet pulling a semi-legit story to cover for the President. That's a real story. It falls into the "coverup is bigger than the original non-crime" category.

Malia Obama going to a concert: not a big deal, or any kind of a thing at all.
Story of Malia Obama going to a concert getting pulled: kind of a thing.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Don't forget the two directly to her right
The young lad sitting behind her seems to be enjoying the music too.

If this is such a non-story, why did the scrub brigade have to get HuffPo and Buzzfeed to dump it? I guess Dear Leader needs an especially good image right now.
Thare's really nothing embarrasing about an adolescent quadra-casian going to a boy-band concert. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they just don't want their daughter's movements publicized

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I'm just preparing for the onslaught of fauxrage coming for spending $250,000 of taxpayer dollars for the First Daughter to go to a concert. :icon_cool

On a related note, can't the US Government do better about getting some decent SS agents that blend in? Train some of those girls from Barely Legal to be anti-assassin ninjas or some shit so that they can accompany teen girls doing teen things. Nothing ruins the mood more than a 45 year old grump in the middle of a bunch of tweens.

On another related note, couldn't they get the First Daughter a spot in the luxury suite instead of the mosh pit?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Thare's really nothing embarrasing about an adolescent quadra-casian going to a boy-band concert. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they just don't want their daughter's movements publicized
Except that that's not true. They have used her in the media, they just want to control the circumstances. And that's fine too.

The issue is that supposedly independent journalists are complying with their wish. That's an important pattern that needs to be pointed out.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
It's not a non-story, it's a fluff story. No harm was done. The real story here is how fast the media caved and pulled everything. That's ALWAYS the real story in cases like this. The media is being run from the White House instead of doing its job.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm just preparing for the onslaught of fauxrage coming for spending $250,000 of taxpayer dollars for the First Daughter to go to a concert. :icon_cool
Your deflections are no good here, Mr. Torrence. This isn't about the SS and you know it.

It's not a non-story, it's a fluff story. No harm was done. The real story here is how fast the media caved and pulled everything. That's ALWAYS the real story in cases like this. The media is being run from the White House instead of doing its job.
Bingo. It wasn't even a negative fluff story, so getting it pulled seems very weird. I'm just surprised that Dear Leader's press team doesn't understand this as well. Oh well, they'll all go work for the media outlets that caved in next January anyway. :icon_cool

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
I don't care what the kid does. I do find it interesting though. Not because of "OMFG taxpayer money!!" either.

I think it's interesting to see how the secret service has to adapt to be able to:
A. Protect those that they are required to protect
B. Still allow the people they are protecting to lead as normal a life as possible.

Obviously, the easiest way to protect someone from harm is to put them in a concrete bunker 1/2 mile underground and never let them leave. These guys are at a fucking concert. It must be a headache and a half to deal with that. I doubt there is an imminent threat toward a member of the first family, but something could always happen.

I know a few federal agents and a guy in the SS. I wouldn't call them "friends" but I know em well enough to give them shit about having to go to a boy band concert if they had to do so because of their job.

This brings me to another thought. Not sure how old these kids are, but imagine being a 17 year old and trying to date the daughter of the president (assuming she's the same age). There would be no way to get a moment of privacy to tap that ass.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This brings me to another thought. Not sure how old these kids are, but imagine being a 17 year old and trying to date the daughter of the president (assuming she's the same age). There would be no way to get a moment of privacy to tap that ass.
I've thought about that a lot except with someone trying to date or even just fuck a single or divorced President.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Meh, it's not any big cover up. She's only 14. Amy Carter and Chelsea Clinton were pretty much off limits and the Bush twins were college kids when their dad was in the White House. If they tried to scrub Malia trying to order a margarita with a fake ID, now THAT would be newsworthy!

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
They all look alike to terrorists. and the angry guy behind her has the tactical bag as well as the guy up the aisle on her right,

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
This actually brings up something I've been wondering for awhile. I've seen black and Mexican children in like CVS and Walgreens wanting stuff featuring Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, and other very, very white people. Is it weird that shitty boy bands/teeny bopper idols cross cultural boundaries?

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute

I'm calling Cheech Marin on the far left and the lady in the awful african-american full-head mask on the top right.
I'm calling Lester the ventriloquist doll all the way to her left and up two rows

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
This actually brings up something I've been wondering for awhile. I've seen black and Mexican children in like CVS and Walgreens wanting stuff featuring Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, and other very, very white people. Is it weird that shitty boy bands/teeny bopper idols cross cultural boundaries?
If Justin Bieber crossed it, it's not much of a boundary. I think that's a sign that at this point most blacks and Latinos are part of mainstream American culture pretty much the same as white kids, more than evidence of Bieber's boundary breaking abilities.

White kids buy black music too, they're not crossing any boundaries are they? Black music is just part of American culture at this point, and blacks and assimilated Latinos are just Americans who live in the same culture we do.

With some Latinos, who are newcomers, there is I guess still a cultural barrier, but with blacks there really isn't one. Even the ones who shun white cultural icons are just doing it out of racism, they don't really have a separate culture (hip hop isn't a separate culture, it's just a sub-culture).