OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Spotify.com

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by Voss's Tumor, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

So anyone have any invites? I'm anxious to check this out with all the excitement about it.

2. The Godfather

The Godfather Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!

3. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

From what I understand it's a cross between Rhapsody and Pandora. It's huge in Europe and it just launched here about a week ago.

4. metallikat87

metallikat87 Well-Known Member
    It's My Birthday!

yeah, ive been trying to score an invite too

5. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Lifehacker posted a loophole that seemed to work for me:

http://lifehacker.com/5821234/how-to-get-spotify-free-without-an-invite

You create a UK account using a UK proxy, and then once it's completed you simply log in and change your country to US.

Edit: Based on what I can see, to access the spotify library on a phone you have to pay for the service, so the free service only allows you to listen at the computer. Kinda lame.

6. The Godfather

fuckin Hax0r

your so l33t

7. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Seriously, go suck a dick.

Has anyone actually used spotify? How is it different better than something like slacker or last.fm?

8. whiskeyguy

I don't know what this means.

I'm messing around with it on the computer. Apparently you can play just about pretty much any song in the world with it. Not sure how they get away with it.

Edit: It seems to be different then slacker in that you actually can play what you want, instead of the service picking the music for it.

9. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

So if you're in can you invite others?

10. yellowstonesteve

yellowstonesteve Silly Goose

Is it any different from grooveshark? I've been messing with that some and it has potential. Wish it wasn't blocked at work.

11. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Grooveshark rules. I've had it for ages on my phone.

12. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

Actually, Slacker does have on-demand listening now. It's $10/mo. They can get away with it because they've worked out deals with the big bad RIAA, and that's why you've got to pay $9.99/mo. Grooveshark however, has been under alot of fire because they don't exactly have rights to play some of the copyrighted material and they've been sued a few times.

I think, at this point, Spotify closely resembles Slacker, in that, both have on-demand listening and both lets you cache for offline listening. Spotify currently lacks the internet radio feature that has made Pandora and Slacker so popular...that apparently is coming soon, though a rep says there's no timetable for when it's coming to the US. All you can really do is listen on demand and build playlists from their library.

You can bypass the invite process by signing up from one of their two plans...either $4.99/mo or 9.99/mo...problem is, only the $9.99/mo plan allows you to stream/cache to cell phones. That's a bit of a buzzkill for me. And there's also talk about caps on how much you can listen to Spotify each month, which you wouldn't get with Slacker or Pandora's paid services.

Spotify claims to have 15 million tracks (Rhapsody at around 12 million, Slacker 7 million, Pandora only 800,000)...however, I'm not finding much difference in the number of tracks between Spotify and Rhapsody. The one difference I found...there seem to be alot of karaoke versions of songs. Ugh. :icon_roll

Overall...their big sell is that they've got a huge catalog. But beyond that, there is no radio service and I can get songs I want from my $10/mo Slacker plan to listen to on the fly.

EDIT: There will be a 10-hour/per month cap on listening to the free version. But it has been waived for 6 months.

13. Aaron Burrito

Pepper was talking about this on RnF and seemed psyched.

14. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Which one?

15. Guilty Spark

Guilty Spark It's freeing and refreshing

Looks good but there's no way in fuck that I'm paying a monthly fee for music.

16. The Godfather

Youtube has millions of 'tracks' too. For free.

Then you can just download them using the hundreds of free youtube to mp3 downloader sites.

----

The reason I make fun of someone who finds a 'loophole' to get invites, it because this is exactly what happened when Gmail was launched in 2004. Except their whole 'invite' marketing campaigned actually worked. People where blowing their loads for invites, and people would actually buy them from people who weren't giving them away.

Anyways the whole 'invite' shtick is silly now, because it only took like 4 months for the fad to wear off. Invite market saturation. Actually, im going to check my 2004 gmail account to see how many I have now. I got 94. Which worth laughing at considering the message boards and chat rooms back in the WinMX days going batshit over this.

invite = we hope to convince you this is something REALLY big here, folks! We aren't going to even TRY to deal with the demand we would cause opening our doors all at once. Hopefully we can build up some false expectations and interest as we tease our service to the public!

Obviously it's a marketing ploy.

My guess, this Pandora/New Napster clone is just trying to compete for for the overvalued market share that exists in the world of 'Digital Music Online'. Overvaluated IPO in 6 months anyone? That's all im saying. This is all about pulling a "Pandora 2", and rasing hundreds of millions in cash, due to a phony valuation, all with out having profits.
    [video=youtube;nacVXqm-zDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nacVXqm-zDE[/video]

How much did of their marketing budet do you think paid for this?

[​IMG]

BTW, whatever you do, if you're paying to download music... you are doing something wrong

17. Party Rooster

I went on Ebay and paid $2 for an "invite." Got sent right to the inbox.

I wish I would have known it was going to be $10 a month just to listen on my phone. Even the Slacker free app lets you do that. And the $4.99 a month Spotify plan doesn't give you mobile access either.

That is the beauty of it. Although I'm not sure where they get the rights to play a lot of their stuff. There was even a lot of O&A audio on there. I know O&A pretty much let the fans share the show via "syndication underground," so I guess if they allow it and nobody complains it's ok?

[​IMG]

The account I got doesn't let me invite anyone. I guess if you upgrade to one of their paid plans you might get some. Maybe that's what the guys on Ebay are doing to subsidize their monthly fee.

I always thought Grooveshark and Spotify's paying customers were subsidizing it for the rest.

Good review there. As far as the 15 million tracks, A LOT of that is duplicates. I remember back when iTunes hit the 500,000 mark on available tunes and they said that was about 90% of all available music. Pretty sure Pandora's catalog would cover everything released by the record labels sold in stores. The rest is just remixes, live tracks, and a lot of independent artists I would imagine.

The thing that kills it for me is the $10 a month to listen on the phone. And the no "radio" feature. To have just another way to listen on demand from the computer to specific songs isn't really anything new. http://song.ly/ has had that for awhile now and you don't need to sign up for any accounts or install any software to listen to it. And it works on my phone.

There's no way this service is going to take off unless they allow the $5 a month users to listen on mobile devices. Way to ambitious of them since Slacker already lets you do a lot more for that price and there's plenty of free alternatives out there like Pandora, Slacker and a slew of online radio apps.

18. Party Rooster

How positively communistic of you. :action-sm

19. whiskeyguy

Not yet, I didn't have any invites available as of last night. I'll check again sometime today and let you know if I have any.

20. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

Right on. You really can't pay attention to catalog sizes. Pandora does just fine and they're at under 1 million (though I personally find it pretty repetitive). I have a trial of Slacker Premium (BTW, those that want to try it for one month can go to Slacker's facebook fan page) and I see alot of demos and b-sides. But generally, I can get full albums on there and be able to cache them. The benefits of Spotify is that they may have a few different tracks that I would want (O&A as well) and their software player/iOS app is the best I've used, easily. Pandora always gave me problems and Slacker's latest version is pretty slow.

But yeah. the deal breaker for me is that I must pay $10/mo in order to use it on my iPhone, which is the only place I would use it anyway really. And no radio feature makes Spotify just a glorified iPod. I mean, I've already got tons of songs that I like and if I wanted to listen to them on my iPhone or laptop, I can...whenever I want...for free. There may be new albums/songs I want to check out... and sure, I can see the benefit. But, I also like to have the ability to select a specific genre and be able to hear stuff randomly. You can't get that with Spotify yet, but you can with any of the other services in the States. I'm not even going to keep my Slacker Premium service...mainly because you can only cache to one device. I'll keep my $3.99/mo Plus subscription where I can get pre-programmed radio stations, customize my own stations, and get unlimited caching. Caching is a MUST for me and the wife. We're on AT&T, so we're stuck with data caps...and we cannot stream on the fly.

21. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

So I just got my invite email, apparently they send them out pretty fast if you request it.

Holy shit this catalog is ridiculously amazing. I've been trying to stump it for about 20 minutes, and I haven't yet. Understand -- when I say I'm trying to stump it I mean local Dallas bands that friends of mine are in, unsigned, no reason a service like this would know about them, and they're fucking there. It's incredible.

The interface is bad ass too. I'm going to be getting the premium service very soon. I'm a huge fan so far.

I'll see if I can do invites or not. We can set up yet another PM me your email for invites thread I guess.

22. LZMF1

LZMF1 Semi-Eviscerated

i like it on my PC, on my thunderbolt.....not so much.

23. whiskeyguy

Did you have to pay for one of the premium plans to enable streaming to your phone? That was the impression I got from the website.

24. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Well, the point is to build the playlists on your PC and play them from your phone.

I don't know, I haven't really done the full version yet to try it out on the phone, I just like the service as a whole so far.

25. LZMF1

LZMF1 Semi-Eviscerated

Yup......gotta pay $36(? not really sure on the price) a year. It's not that i can't afford it i just refuse to pay it.

sent from my rooted thunderbolt using my fingertips!