Sprint vs. Boost.... your thoughts?

Nov 29, 2006
FL
I'm paying 230+/month for two sprint phones, unlimited everything. Boost, a subsidiary of Sprint, offers unlimited everything for 50/month. What would I be losing by going with Boost? What are the coverage differences? What are the phone differences? I feel like a chump for paying so fuckin much for two phones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :icon_lol:

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
My ex used Boost, and we never had problems with coverage. The lower end phones are crappy motorolas. The flip even still had the plastic pull out antenna. The higher end phones aren't bad tho. The have blackberry and the samsung galaxy prevail android based phone. For $50 a month unlimited, it was a pretty good deal.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
Boost is for golfers.
my thoughts exactly

I thought it was a burner phone used by drug dealers

check their coverage and rates if you travel, they may offer cheap phones and then gouge you if you go out of your area

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Can't you root a Sprint phone to use on Boost?
Actually, yes you can. People use Sprint phones all the time on Cricket, Boost, and Metro PCS. You might need the MSL number and need to "provision" your phone by either flashing the radio or running software to setup the text, data and MMS gateways. Look over on XDA for the model phone you have.

As far as the coverage and service issues, they use the same towers so that shouldn't be an issue. Probably no 4G on Boost though.

Edit:
But why the hell are you paying so much? Put them on a Family Plan together.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
But why the hell are you paying so much? Put them on a Family Plan together.
Two simply everything plans.... first phone is 100/month, second is 90. Tack on insurance, surcharges, airave enhanced coverage, and govt taxes and fees, and it is actually more than 240/month. It's ludicrous, and Sprint insists that this is the most economical plan for us based on our usage habits.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Two simply everything plans.... first phone is 100/month, second is 90. Tack on insurance, surcharges, airave enhanced coverage, and govt taxes and fees, and it is actually more than 240/month. It's ludicrous, and Sprint insists that this is the most economical plan for us based on our usage habits.
How many minutes do you guys use a month? Maybe you are better off with a cheaper "unlimited" plan as far as minutes go. I've got 4 people on my plan now and we're sharing 1500 minutes a month for about $120 a month. We could all share 3000 minutes for only about another $50-$60 a month. When we rarely go over the 1500 minutes, Sprint lets you buy buckets of minutes for $5 for every 100 minutes so I just do that instead.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
on boost you dont get to use the same roaming agreement as sprint. in other words you use only sprints native coverage . and you can take any sprint phone to boost, you could even go into a boost store and have it done. its called "sprint migration"

virgin would give you the exact same coverage as boost for possibly less but you cant bring over another phone. even tho its still fucking sprint

i just got a nexus s 4g (this fucker is sweet) and im thinking of flashing my evo to boost just because lo

airave enhanced coverage,
honestly if you have to do that at home i would consider another carrier because boost or virgin wont be any better. i believe cricket and metropcs use verizons network