Sprint's New Phone: The IPhone

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
..Report says Sprint to get iPhone in October
AP – 2 hrs 53 mins ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Sprint Nextel Corp., the country's third-largest cellphone company, will start selling the iPhone in mid-October, The Wall Street Journal said Tuesday.

Citing unnamed people familiar with the matter, the newspaper said the wireless company will get to sell both the new iPhone 5 and the current model, the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 will launch at the same time that AT&T Inc. and Verizon Wireless get it, the newspaper said.

Sprint's stock increased 33 cents, or more than 10 percent, to close Tuesday at $3.59.

Apple Inc. normally launches a new iPhone model in June or July, but this year's launch has been delayed for unknown reasons. Apple watchers had expected the new phone to arrive in September, but speculation has recently shifted toward October.

Sprint, headquartered in Overland Park, Kan., has been turning around its ailing operations through improvements in customer care, but its inability to sell the iPhone has hampered its recovery. In the three months ending in June, it lost 101,000 subscribers from contract-based plans, while Verizon and AT&T, already larger, added subscribers. Contract-based plans are the most lucrative for wireless carriers.

AT&T was the exclusive U.S. carrier for the phone for three and half years, until Apple allowed Verizon to start selling one in February
http://news.yahoo.com/report-says-sprint-iphone-october-202245073.html

I'm supposed to be getting my upgrade next year so I may be looking into this.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
I had been hearing this rumor for a long time. I actually stayed with my shit "instinct" for over a year after my 2 year upgrade waiting for it to happen. But I gave in about 7 months ago and got an EVO. At this point, I don't see me switching from a Droid.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
My wife is waiting for the T Mobile/Sprint merger to get one.

Fuck that. My G1 android is still working fine and if I do
upgrade, it'll be another android phone. I love them.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
My wife is waiting for the T Mobile/Sprint merger to get one.

Fuck that. My G1 android is still working fine and if I do
upgrade, it'll be another android phone. I love them.
My rooted Droid rules. They couldn't give me an iPhone. Very happy with it.

Rash Rendering

Feb 9, 2010
I just got a used evo 4g... Next upgrade I'll definitely get an iphone though

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
With Sprint I don't see this moving like some people expect it to. Sprint has gone balls deep for Android.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Especially for those of us who already switched to Verizon because they took to damnned long to get the iPhone. I almost bought an Evo back in Feb; but I decided that I REALLY wanted an iPhone. And my then-employer gave me an awesome contract price.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
The Google integration is too good on Android to even bother with an iPhone.

May 8, 2009
Bawferston
I know iPhones are awesome and all, but at this point, I just see them for teenage girls. I'm sticking to Droid phones from now on.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Even with unlimited data I still say it's too little too late...

Sprint Said to Plan Unlimited Data With IPhone

By Olga Kharif - Sep 9, 2011 1:39 PM PT

Sprint Nextel Corp. will offer Apple Inc.’s iPhone next month with unlimited data service plans. Photographer: Kiyoshi Ota/Bloomberg

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) will offer Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone next month with unlimited data service plans to distinguish itself from rivals AT&T Inc. (T) and Verizon Wireless, according to people familiar with the matter.

Sprint, the third-largest U.S. wireless carrier, plans to begin selling the device in mid-October under a deal with Apple for the next model, the iPhone 5, said the people, who wouldn’t be identified because the plans aren’t public. Becoming the country’s only operator to offer the device with unlimited data service for a flat fee may help Sprint draw customers from AT&T and Verizon Wireless, which already carry the phone, they said.

Sprint, based in Overland Park, Kansas, is struggling to compete against larger rivals and has lost money for 15 consecutive quarters. The addition of the iPhone to Sprint’s lineup will help it win customers, said Matthew Thornton, an analyst at Avian Securities LLC.

“It’s a competitive disadvantage if your two larger competitors have the iPhone and you don’t,” Thornton said in an interview. “Getting the iPhone closes that gap.”

Michelle Leff Mermelstein, a spokeswoman for Sprint, said the company doesn’t comment on products or services it hasn’t announced. Natalie Harrison, a spokeswoman for Apple, declined to comment on rumors or speculation.

Sprint already offers unlimited data plans for smartphones such as Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM)’s BlackBerry and HTC Corp. (2498)’s Evo, which runs on Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android operating system. Sprint’s unlimited voice and data service costs $99.99 a month.
AT&T and Verizon

AT&T and Verizon charge for data service on top of voice- service plans. AT&T, which has unlimited voice service for $69.99 a month, offers 200 megabytes of data for $15 a month, 2 gigabytes of data for $25 a month, or 4 gigabytes of data for $45 a month. Verizon’s data plans for the iPhone start at $30 a month for 2 gigabytes and rise to $80 for 10 gigabytes, in addition to unlimited voice service for $69.99 a month.

Unlimited data plans are a draw because they allow customers to surf the Web, share photos or watch videos as much as they want. They’re particularly valuable for people who use mobile devices for applications such as Netflix Inc. (NFLX)’s movie service or Pandora Media Inc.’s streaming music.

“The advantage of unlimited is, it’s cheaper for the big users,” Peter Rhamey, an analyst at Bank of Montreal, said in an interview. The plans may draw other customers because “people don’t like bill shock,” he said. “Consumers will pay a premium for unlimited.”

IPhone vs. Android

The iPhone may not lead to more data use per customer than Sprint already sees from customers who have Android phones. In the first quarter, Android smartphone owners in the U.S. consumed an average of 582 megabytes of data each month, compared with 492 megabytes for iPhone owners, according to Nielsen Co.’s analysis of nearly 65,000 cell-phone bills.

Apple’s iPhone has proved to be a valuable recruitment tool for rivals: Of the 5.6 million smartphones AT&T sold in the second quarter, the device accounted for 3.6 million. A quarter of the subscribers who bought the iPhone were new to AT&T, the company said.

Sprint has been using the iPhone’s launch as retention tool with its executives, as it expects the addition of the device to boost its stock price, said one person familiar with the situation.

Sprint was unchanged at $3.45 at 4 p.m. on the New York Stock Exchange, and has declined 18 percent this year. Apple dropped $6.66, or 1.7 percent, to $377.48 in Nasdaq Stock Market trading and has climbed 17 percent this year.

To prepare for the introduction, Sprint has postponed the September debut of a rival smartphone that uses fourth- generation, or 4G, wireless technology, said one person familiar with the situation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ata-with-iphone-5-to-stand-out-from-pack.html

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
At&t used to offer unlimited data... and we actually got a nasty letter from them as she was roaming someone else's data network at our camp... hopefully they will bring it back so I can listen to internet radio when I mow for 6 hours... feh.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Verizon has unlimited data for 30 bucks a month

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Only if you're grandfathered in. They changed that this year.
Well, they do have it, because that's what I pay, and according to everything I've seen, that's what I'll continue to pay even if I switch phones down the road. The article was written as if Sprint would be able to entice existing verizon customers away by offering them something they're not getting. I'm getting unlimited data for 30 bucks a month. Therefore, they have it. So I guess someone can take his sprint phone and shove it up his dead starving kitty's puckered up little asshole.

Dear proflyerXM - Says you're not an attention seeker, but your misunderstanding of my post and life in general has gotten my attention. I've added you to Ammer's hit list. As soon as he completes his devastating character assassination of fletcher and LiddyRules, he's coming after you. Hide behind all the potatoes you want, but Ammer will find you. Oh, he'll find you.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Well, they do have it, because that's what I pay, and according to everything I've seen, that's what I'll continue to pay even if I switch phones down the road. The article was written as if Sprint would be able to entice existing verizon customers away by offering them something they're not getting. I'm getting unlimited data for 30 bucks a month. Therefore, they have it. So I guess someone can take his sprint phone and shove it up his dead starving kitty's puckered up little asshole.
I think they they were mostly saying how it'll "distinguish" them from new customers looking to finally get an iPhone. Even though it's been out for a long time now, the article says a 1/4 of ATT's new iPhone customers were new to ATT last quarter.

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) will offer Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone next month with unlimited data service plans to distinguish itself from rivals AT&T Inc. (T) and Verizon Wireless, according to people familiar with the matter....

,,,,Becoming the country’s only operator to offer the device with unlimited data service for a flat fee may help Sprint draw customers from AT&T and Verizon Wireless, which already carry the phone, they said.
And I'm sure there's a lot of people that thought they could save a few bucks on their bill when Verizon and ATT changed their data plan pricing. A lot of them dropped down to their $10 and $15 lower bandwidth data plans who now maybe regret that decision, so this could in fact draw some of their current customers over to Sprint.

Sprint's always had a lower price for unlimited data+voice plans, so I'd imagine there's a lot of people on ATT that have wanted to switch but couldn't because they were in love with their iPhones. And I'm sure there's a few Verizon customers who maybe didn't upgrade to the iPhone in February because of the mandatory data plan that would have jacked their phone bills up $30.

Also, don't be so sure about always being able to keep that unlimited plan if you switch phones. Doubt it would happen anytime soon, but I was on an old grandfathered-in cheap data/voice plan with Sprint but when I wanted to switch to Android I had to pay $10 a month more for a "smartphone" plan, even though I had a Windows Mobile smartphone that already used a ton of data.

And here's a cute caturday pic for ya...:action-sm

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
And the douche of the day is.........

Dear proflyerXM - Says you're not an attention seeker, but your misunderstanding of my post and life in general has gotten my attention. I've added you to Ammer's hit list. As soon as he completes his devastating character assassination of fletcher and LiddyRules, he's coming after you. Hide behind all the potatoes you want, but Ammer will find you. Oh, he'll find you.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Also, don't be so sure about always being able to keep that unlimited plan if you switch phones. Doubt it would happen anytime soon, but I was on an old grandfathered-in cheap data/voice plan with Sprint but when I wanted to switch to Android I had to pay $10 a month more for a "smartphone" plan, even though I had a Windows Mobile smartphone that already used a ton of data.
I've always worried about this, since I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited plan on VZW right now. I hope that as long as I continue to buy Android phones (which I plan on doing) they will continue to allow me to keep the data plan. If not I would probably consider buying new phones out of contract. Changing to the 5 GB/month data plan (which is a little over what I use) would cost an additional $20/month, which is $480 over two years... probably more than the subsidized price of the phone... not to mention any months where I exceed 5 GB.

I'm not sure if they still do this, but doesn't your monthly plan cost less if you're not on contract? I thought that use to be the case at least.

ProflyerXM

Not an attention seeker
Sep 16, 2005
Idaho
Bummer.

If I can't walk into a store and buy something they don't sell it.