Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
In Montana, 13.50 may seem pretty good. Try living in Manhattan on that shit.:kjk:
try doubling that with tips....
I worked at a diner in Jersey and never came home with less than 100 bucks in tips per day, usually it was closer to 200

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I lived in Jersey up until July 2006, Paid 500/month for rent, drove 120 miles/day,
I got average of 160 bucks in tips per day working at a diner while earning 2.50/hour working....
I had another job....but 2.50/hr to 13.50/hr is a huge leap!

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
And I am actually trying to figure out what the discrepancy is between Starbucks Employees saying Starbucks suck and what I posted.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
$2000 a week is just getting by around here. Forget trying to live anywhere near normal on $2000 a month.

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Starbucks tips will not be quite the same as waiter tips... some people won't tip at all, some people will tip a buck (which percentage wise is probably pretty good for most orders) and others will throw their change in the cup...

and don't forget its a communal cup that they all split

$2k a month isn't too bad in Jersey if that is what you are actually taking home... if that's what you are earning before taxes, you're screwed

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
$13.50/hr X 40 hrs/week X 52 weeks = $28,080 before taxes, insurance, etc. Assume 30% is taken out for that, and you're looking at taking home about $20k/year. That's tough to live on in NYC. The tips could help make things easier, but like Roman posted, I'm not sure how much a Starbucks employee would be taking home.

MelissaY1

Resident Star Fucker
Nov 28, 2005
NY
Patti is definitely not a fake. I've been friends with her for awhile now and she's the real deal. Yes, Starbucks has nice benefits, etc. but it's not exactly raking in the money either.

Living in NYC is very expensive. I know other people who work on Wall Street, make amazing money and live in NYC but have either shoe box sized apartments, or are living with more than one roommate to make ends meet. My cousin was having her father help pay for her to live in NYC while she was going to school and was living with a roommate but when her roommate had to move back home, my cousin had to do the same, she no longer could pay for it on her own.

Patti gets by, but she has bills like all of us and in additon has a cat that she always brings to the vet annually for checkups and takes good care of. And cat food isn't friggin' cheap either these days. We got 4 kitties plus a few we feed outside and it adds up...

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Doesn't she have a Masters degree or something? I dunno, if I had invested the time to have a Masters, even if I hated the field it was in, I'd find some way to use it.

MelissaY1

Resident Star Fucker
Nov 28, 2005
NY
Doesn't she have a Masters degree or something? I dunno, if I had invested the time to have a Masters, even if I hated the field it was in, I'd find some way to use it.
She does, but how many of us are REALLY doing what we went to school for? I know I'm sure as hell not.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Starbucks tips will not be quite the same as waiter tips... some people won't tip at all, some people will tip a buck (which percentage wise is probably pretty good for most orders) and others will throw their change in the cup...

and don't forget its a communal cup that they all split

$2k a month isn't too bad in Jersey if that is what you are actually taking home... if that's what you are earning before taxes, you're screwed
taxes on tips?....hahaha! you're funny! Most of the people I know who work the biz...declare like a third...if that! of what they take!
I was always criticized as a goody goody for being honest...then I got to be pessimistic

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
She does, but how many of us are REALLY doing what we went to school for? I know I'm sure as hell not.
Yeah, I Do
:icon_roll:icon_roll:icon_roll:icon_roll:icon_roll
That's 2 of us. I'm sure there are more. I think it depends on what your major is.

MelissaY1

Resident Star Fucker
Nov 28, 2005
NY
That's 2 of us. I'm sure there are more. I think it depends on what your major is.
This is true. The only related thing I can say is I'm using Photoshop at my job and used it in school as a graphic design major....

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
While Patti may be the real deal, I really am having a problem feeling any kind of pity for her. She is her own worst enemy, at least in my opinion.

She has a masters and yet she's spending her days working at Starbucks. This after floundering at how many other jobs? Please tell me her masters is in business administration and she's in Starbucks' manager trainee program.

Starbucks does pay more than the average "fast food" outlet, but Manhattan is expensive and if I'm figuring it out correctly, at $13.50 she's only pulling around $20,000 after taxes. I'm basing it on a 40 hour work week and deducting 30% for taxes multiplied by 52 weeks. She's probably pulling less because I'm sure they're deducting something for her medical insurance.

So let's say she's netting $18,000 before shared tips. Where in Manhattan are you going to survive on that? Or New Jersey? Forget Long Island - people are leaving here in droves because they can't afford to live here; people making much more than $18,000

Hudson, I don't know what kind of a place you lived in for $500 a month, but here you can't even rent a room in someone's house for that much. If you want to live with a bunch of people in a house you might be able to do a $500 deal but otherwise fuhgeddaboudit

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
The wife and I were talking to her for awhile Saturday since we picked her up
at the train station and took her to the Camden virus show. She doesn't get
full time hours at the store so even if she is at full pay, she's not getting as
much as some people think. There's nothing fake about Patti.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
I met Patti at the Virus show....very pleasant, but there is definetly something just 'off' about her....I can't quite put my finger on it, but off. More socially inept than I expected, but I don't doubt in the least that she's the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.