Star Trek: Discovery is on CBS' (On Demand Streaming Service)

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
I just started the latest Star Trek and this won't spoil anything in this episode. If anything, it'd spoil the last episode.

LAZY FUCKING GOD DAMNED CLICHE WRITING.

"Captain, when we were on that ship..." she looks concerned. Frightened. Afraid. Pike studies her, waiting. We see a flashback. OH GOD THE TENSION. She's gonna reveal her secret.

"I never properly thanked you."

WHAT? AND HE DOESN'T PICK UP ON THAT SHIT? LAZY FUCKING WRITING! She has a secret but won't tell anyone because if she did, the show wouldn't get to a crisis point later. If she confided in the captain, he'd probably figure out what was going on in episode 2 rather than halfway through the season which is how it will likely happen.

That fucking bothers me to no end. This isn't Star Trek. This is lazy shallow character melodrama. I might watch the rest of this tomorrow night, but I shut it off tonight.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
They are really unkind when filming Wiseman at times.

Even her swinging tits when she runs through the ship in a hospital gown doesn't make up for shooting her that way. Not that I expect she has an easy time losing weight as she's been chubby for quite some time, but she was skinnier at past events. I have to wonder if she's been actively told to gain or keep up her weight, as she can't really feel great about it; no matter how much body-positive spin is given.

Anyhow, they are more actively using ENTERPRISE sound effects now, and I swear I heard a Abramsverse 2009 movie musical cue during their "donut move".

As for the story...

Pike's decision runs counter to Archer's, Kirk's, Picard's, whathaveyou, when it comes to human colonies, of which this is one. They may have left it on a "positive" note, but leaving them that way runs against previous and later calls.

From this episode, the red angels appear to potentially be The Preservers mentioned in TOS, but as this takes place before that, and they are still theorized about then, maybe not.

All I know for sure, is that their effort to make Burnham keep saying "brother" when referring to Spock is getting really annoying.

Saikotic

Donator
They are really unkind when filming Wiseman at times.

Even her swinging tits when she runs through the ship in a hospital gown doesn't make up for shooting her that way. Not that I expect she has an easy time losing weight as she's been chubby for quite some time, but she was skinnier at past events. I have to wonder if she's been actively told to gain or keep up her weight, as she can't really feel great about it; no matter how much body-positive spin is given.

Anyhow, they are more actively using ENTERPRISE sound effects now, and I swear I heard a Abramsverse 2009 movie musical cue during their "donut move".

As for the story...

Pike's decision runs counter to Archer's, Kirk's, Picard's, whathaveyou, when it comes to human colonies, of which this is one. They may have left it on a "positive" note, but leaving them that way runs against previous and later calls.

From this episode, the red angels appear to potentially be The Preservers mentioned in TOS, but as this takes place before that, and they are still theorized about then, maybe not.

All I know for sure, is that their effort to make Burnham keep saying "brother" when referring to Spock is getting really annoying.
I was wondering if she'd chunked up.

Saikotic

Donator
man the exposition in this episode is mind numbing. And when the angel is discussed, thery have to show flashbacks I guess because they think the average viewer needs this hammered home. Anyone with a scrap of intelligence could piece this together.

And oh fuck, now Tillie has a little friend who is going to be even more annoying. That voice. Ugh.

Saikotic

Donator
What a dumb ending. The episode wasn't bad. As I've read, this has been the most Trek episode to date.

Radioguy

Yeah, while it's part of the overall arc, it was a fair standalone. Actually, it almost seemed lifted from Stargate, or more accurately, Stargate Atlantis.

Saikotic

Donator
Yeah, while it's part of the overall arc, it was a fair standalone. Actually, it almost seemed lifted from Stargate, or more accurately, Stargate Atlantis.
Well why not, they stole the whole tardigrade concept from some forgotten video game.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Watching New Eden now. Gonna predict:

May is all in Tilly's mind, and a product of the dark matter asteroid.

And her voice is atrocious.

/Mr. Obvious is obvious.

EDIT: Just finished. I was close. And as to the episode? Meh. Liked the end, sort of. The rest can eat a dick.

Last edited:

Saikotic

Donator
Watching New Eden now. Gonna predict:

May is all in Tilly's mind, and a product of the dark matter asteroid.

And her voice is atrocious.

/Mr. Obvious is obvious.

EDIT: Just finished. I was close. And as to the episode? Meh. Liked the end, sort of. The rest can eat a dick.
See, that's what's wrong about this series, and many others being written by bad writers. We all see the whole thing with May coming from a long way away but they still try to build it up as if it's a huge gasp-inducing moment. The writers can't grasp the idea that their audience is intelligent and don't just stare at the screen slack-jawed.

Saikotic

Donator

They put the pilot on youtube apparently and it is not being received well

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Meh. Won't cry if it's not getting an S3.
I was wondering what is anyone's favorite first two seasons of any of the Star Trek shows post-TOS(including the animated series) without regard to the greatness that follows?

Bobobie

They put the pilot on youtube apparently and it is not being received well
Everyone is acting like this is some bombshell indication that the series is cancelled. I was under the impression he was only going to be part of the seasonal story arc and would be gone before season 3 anyway. He would be technically unemployed after season 2 filming wrapped and it did when they finished doing some re-shoots recently.

Bobobie

I'm wondering what this is going to be like. They still don't have the rights to the ships, Artwork, Uniforms, many Aliens, etc from TNG. They can't use any of the charaters of TNG, DS9, or Voyager. That leaves us with a modernized looking Discovery Universe. We know the writing is going to be questionable since they seem to be leaning towards writers with no SciFi background and lean heavily SJW.

Radioguy

The most actionable stuff that guy mentions is the license restrictions for the Picard series.

Jesus. What point is there in doing the series if no one but Stewart can return to it??? Did CBS only choose to license the one character from Viacom? If not, did Viacom ask for too much for a blanket TNG license? I don't get that, and would want to know more about how and why that happened. I wonder if that picture of Stewart with the TNG cast having dinner last year was at a time when they all thought they might come back.

It's even more of a fuck you to Jonathan Frakes, since Kurtzman likes him enough to have hired him to direct DSC, but not enough to secure a license for a series he could direct AND appear in?

Yeah. I want to know more about that.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I was wondering what is anyone's favorite first two seasons of any of the Star Trek shows post-TOS(including the animated series) without regard to the greatness that follows?
For me, probably DS9. TNG seemed too full of how cool it was in S1. DS9 jumped right into the political tension, the wild west frontier stuff, just did a pretty good job overall at that stuff.

Radioguy

DS9 jumped right into the political tension...
You must have watched a different DS9 than the rest of us, because it did no such thing. It was crap for a couple seasons before it came into its own (with the Dominion arc). In that, it was just like TNG. Oh, the writing got better than TNG far later, but it was always hindered by a mostly landlocked set of characters that weren't as interesting to begin with.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
You must have watched a different DS9 than the rest of us, because it did no such thing. It was crap for a couple seasons before it came into its own (with the Dominion arc). In that, it was just like TNG. Oh, the writing got better than TNG far later, but it was always hindered by a mostly landlocked set of characters that weren't as interesting to begin with.
Well, I will admit the dominion war did ratchet things up dramatically, but the whole Cardassian/Bajoran fight over the wormhole was pretty good for the kickoff to the series. And having a Cardassian spy working on the space station made for an interesting time too, imo. Watching Garak skulk around buddying up to Bashir, always with his ear to any wall he could pick shit up from, meh. I liked it.

Liked TNG too, but Troi in miniskirts seemed a bit of an odd choice for an enlightened era. Hot, but odd.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
One thing I think we can agree on: Babylon 5 was a shitty attempt to glom onto the success of Star Trek, especially with regard to DS9.

Radioguy

Well, I will admit the dominion war did ratchet things up dramatically, but the whole Cardassian/Bajoran fight over the wormhole was pretty good for the kickoff to the series. And having a Cardassian spy working on the space station made for an interesting time too, imo. Watching Garak skulk around buddying up to Bashir, always with his ear to any wall he could pick shit up from, meh. I liked it.

Liked TNG too, but Troi in miniskirts seemed a bit of an odd choice for an enlightened era. Hot, but odd.
I'll give you Andrew Robinson. He might be the sole exception when it came to the original cast, but he was only ever recurring; not a main cast member (which is criminal). Still, he was also someone who was only really written in depth for after a few seasons.

As for Troi, she had a skirt in season 1, but not for long. Plus, don't forget the guys. It was a equal opportunity assgrab era.

One thing I think we can agree on: Babylon 5 was a shitty attempt to glom onto the success of Star Trek, especially with regard to DS9.
Well...unless you believe J Michael Straczynski's claims he was plagiarized.