Star Trek: Discovery is on CBS' (On Demand Streaming Service)

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I'll give you Andrew Robinson. He might be the sole exception when it came to the original cast, but he was only ever recurring; not a main cast member (which is criminal). Still, he was also someone who was only really written in depth for after a few seasons.

As for Troi, she had a skirt in season 1, but not for long. Plus, don't forget the guys. It was a equal opportunity assgrab era.

Well...unless you believe J Michael Straczynski's claims he was plagiarized.
I actually HAD forgotten that they tried to SJW the men in S1 as well. Oof. Another reason why TNG is not my favorite S1 series. Outside of Braveheart, there's no scenario where men in skirts is a good thing.

And as to B5, I believe DS9 came out first, so J. Michael needs to slow his roll on the plagiary claims.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Everyone is acting like this is some bombshell indication that the series is cancelled. I was under the impression he was only going to be part of the seasonal story arc and would be gone before season 3 anyway. He would be technically unemployed after season 2 filming wrapped and it did when they finished doing some re-shoots recently.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. These channels jump at the slightest rumor and predict doom and gloom from it. I bought into the "Kathleen Kennedy is going to get fired!" bullshit and it just didn't happen.

Saikotic

Donator
I'll give you Andrew Robinson. He might be the sole exception when it came to the original cast, but he was only ever recurring; not a main cast member (which is criminal). Still, he was also someone who was only really written in depth for after a few seasons.

As for Troi, she had a skirt in season 1, but not for long. Plus, don't forget the guys. It was a equal opportunity assgrab era.

Well...unless you believe J Michael Straczynski's claims he was plagiarized.
Making Andrew Robinson a full cast member likely would have watered down Garek. He's the best character on the show.

Saikotic

Donator
I actually HAD forgotten that they tried to SJW the men in S1 as well. Oof. Another reason why TNG is not my favorite S1 series. Outside of Braveheart, there's no scenario where men in skirts is a good thing.

And as to B5, I believe DS9 came out first, so J. Michael needs to slow his roll on the plagiary claims.
They came out at about the same time. And both would have been in production for some time before that. DS9 was darker and more gritty. I could never get into Babylon 5. I tried when it first started and probably 5 years ago.

That said, I tapped out of DS9 in the first season as well. I didn't like Star Trek on a space station. I happened to tune in one week to one of the best episodes of the series (The Visitor), and watched the rest from there on out.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
They came out at about the same time. And both would have been in production for some time before that. DS9 was darker and more gritty. I could never get into Babylon 5. I tried when it first started and probably 5 years ago.

That said, I tapped out of DS9 in the first season as well. I didn't like Star Trek on a space station. I happened to tune in one week to one of the best episodes of the series (The Visitor), and watched the rest from there on out.
DS9 premiered January 1993, B5 January 94.

Agreed otherwise.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
They came out at about the same time. And both would have been in production for some time before that.
DS9 premiered January 1993, B5 January 94.
It's been ages since I knew what Straczynski had specifically said, but I remember he made the case that he had submitted a pitch or somesuch thing well before DS9 was greenlit, and basically walked back his comments to short of being considered libel by Paramount. I don't know if DS9 was really ripped off, but the claim held enough water back then to dog DS9, and it has never really gone away.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
@JoeyDVDZ , if you have the opportunity, I recommend you watch Babylon 5 and its movies.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
For me, probably DS9. TNG seemed too full of how cool it was in S1. DS9 jumped right into the political tension, the wild west frontier stuff, just did a pretty good job overall at that stuff.
Stewart, Spiner and others in the cast did not see it surviving past season 1.

Bobobie

Bab 5 gave washed up actors like Boxlightner and that guy from Taxi, employment for a few years.

Saikotic

Donator
Still later than the premiere of DS9, so I still say it came first.
Dude, they were likely in production at the same time and finished months in advance. The fact that one premiered weeks after the other is inconsequential.

Saikotic

Donator
Tilly winning the race

Saikotic

Donator
Oh look, the bridge crew gets one line each....again.....yay?

Saikotic

Donator
Wow that Klingon woman looks dumb. Nice wig. Looks.....natural.

Saikotic

Donator
Dr. Frankenfurter from behind?

No, it's Ash.

Saikotic

Donator
wait, what'? How was that hidden?

edit: snort

Saikotic

Donator
SPOILER QUOTE:
"Do not refer to me as chancellor, for I deserve a fiercer title. From this point forward you may call me ('dramatic' pause) mother!"

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
SPOILER QUOTE:
"Do not refer to me as chancellor, for I deserve a fiercer title. From this point forward you may call me ('dramatic' pause) mother!"

There goes any chance of me ever watching this series.

Bobobie

I love the start of Season 2.
The Enterprise's White male Science officer try's Mansplaining 1st Officer Mary Sue and ends up in a million pieces.

Radioguy

That was excruciatingly bad. Forget the SJW issues. Even the most liberal fan must lose faith in this now.

They should have left it alone to at least be true to the original vision for this show, as awful as that was. The way they acceded to those who wanted TOS elements and other changes was executed so badly that it comes off as spiteful.

The "sound off" bridge crew responses, Spock, The Klingons, Clem Klingdango aka Ash...Tilly...the Tilly running bit was done so badly, that it's a literal plothole. There's no way she could win the marathon with stopping and talking with May. Either that whole experience, including the race, wasn't real, or they fucked up to a point no one could have released it...but they did.

I know they didn't mean to destroy the show, they insanely thought it could work like this, but it is almost plays as if someone is actively trying to sabotage it.

Anyhow, just so you know...Clem Klingdango. That's a thing.

Bobobie

I'm still on the 2nd episode. They went on an away mission, it was a typical Star Trek episode, but it wasn't cuz dramma.

SPOILER QUOTE:

I was playing Resident Evil 2 and I thought about this line again for some reason. It disturbs me more than the Police Station filled with monsters. Its such bad writing that I'm almost impressed they had the balls to include it.

Radioguy

I was playing Resident Evil 2 and I thought about this line again for some reason. It disturbs me more than the Police Station filled with monsters. Its such bad writing that I'm almost impressed they had the balls to include it.
I wouldn't necessarily credit them. Any rational person would consider things like that and Tilly winning marathons, after stopping midway with others passing her, as some kind of disconnect among production staff now. Incidentally, that latter scene played as if it were a hallucination (not just May), but we see it was shown to have happened in reality. No one could be so delusional to have written and storyboarded such things from the outset. I'm starting to think they may have been improvised while filming written scenes, and somehow ended up in the final cut without being originally intended. I even wonder if they were reshoots edited in to make scenes "more interesting".

Speaking of reshoots, anyone notice when Tilly's on the bridge lined up with other candidates (which was amusingly cut with May at both ends), she looks a bit thinner in the face than the rest of the episode?