Star Trek: Discovery is on CBS' (On Demand Streaming Service)

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
You know why Tilly won the race? SJW writers cannot show women being weak. Ever. Cmon, who are the most "important" characters on this show? Michael, the Klingon woman, the emperor, Tilly and kinda Pike with Saru getting an honorable mention. What are their weak character traits? Tilly is a spaz, but that's shown as her strength. Hell, she freaks out on the bridge and instead of being sent to the doctor, the captain has a sense of humor and kinda likes her.

What? You have a crew member showing signs of paranoia but it's ok, she's a strong woman. Nothing to see here.

Saikotic

Donator
Speaking of reshoots, anyone notice when Tilly's on the bridge lined up with other candidates (which was amusingly cut with May at both ends), she looks a bit thinner in the face than the rest of the episode?
Yeah I thought so too.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
You know why Tilly won the race? SJW writers cannot show women being weak. Ever. Cmon, who are the most "important" characters on this show? Michael, the Klingon woman, the emperor, Tilly and kinda Pike with Saru getting an honorable mention. What are their weak character traits? Tilly is a spaz, but that's shown as her strength. Hell, she freaks out on the bridge and instead of being sent to the doctor, the captain has a sense of humor and kinda likes her.

What? You have a crew member showing signs of paranoia but it's ok, she's a strong woman. Nothing to see here.
It's ridiculous. She beat men and women still running after she took a break. That cannot stand as anything interpretable other than a fuckup. It can't have been a conscious SJW-pandering scene, or else all the competition would've been male.

Anyhow, I now wonder if this could this be them actively trying to win back the Orville crowd by completely throwing reality out of the window.

Saikotic

Donator
Let's look at Twitter....

FRIENDSHIP?

Radioguy

That was the one that had me cackling.

Anyhow, Stammets does kind of like Tilly now. You could argue friendship since even Spock/McCoy had a more turbulent relationship and are basically still considered friends.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
One of the few standout characters added this season: Jett Reno. She's quite the effective asshole. I like her.

Radioguy

Section 31 was established to not have been known to exist by common Starfleet crew and officers both in ENT and DS9, yet everyone here knows who they are. Just another facepalm moment watching this.

Saikotic

Donator
Section 31 was established to not have been known to exist by common Starfleet crew and officers both in ENT and DS9, yet everyone here knows who they are. Just another facepalm moment watching this.
I'm happy I quit watching.

Radioguy

I'd like to think this means Kurtzman is finally on the outs, but I doubt it will improve things. This is still produced under the same license that states that this is not the same universe as the original series, but still a parallel one (not the filmed Abramsverse, but yet another). It's essentially still a cancer to the production of another series or film that would carry on from Nemesis. Hopefully the VIACOM/CBS merger will occur in time to scuttle this, and bring about more palatable core Star Trek series and films.

mascan42

In a further effort to completely fuck over any sense of continuity, the Talosians show up next week.

Saikotic

Donator
In a further effort to completely fuck over any sense of continuity, the Talosians show up next week.
Don't bother with continuity, they don't. They were never really going to match up with the original series. And fuck, they can't even follow their own god damned continuity. Lorca needed to have all the lights dim because people from his universe have a sensitivity to light. The emperor has no such setbacks. Probably because women can't be flawed in sjw shows.

mascan42

Don't bother with continuity, they don't. They were never really going to match up with the original series. And fuck, they can't even follow their own god damned continuity. Lorca needed to have all the lights dim because people from his universe have a sensitivity to light. The emperor has no such setbacks. Probably because women can't be flawed in sjw shows.
To be fair, I seem to recall some fairly brightly-lit scenes with Lorca as well.

Radioguy

Comes off as intentional fucking with the continuity so the Red Angel character put it all "right" in the end. If they didn't let it be known this wasn't the ENT/TOS/TNG/DS9 universe to begin with because of the license restriction, that might almost fly.

I'm just looking at this now as positioning a company for someone to buy it out; fuck the employees. I bet Kurtzman & Co. bent over backwards on terms for the s3 renewal, as if the merger happens, CBS/VIACOM will be put in the position of paying off Kurtzman & Co. to scuttle and build anew (or else Kurtzman would likely air that laundry). That, or if CBS were to continue production, any retooling to actually bring the series into canon gives Kurtzman & Co. that "created by" credit and money.

Bobobie

It seems unlikely that someone committed to a mental hospital ,a felonious fugitive, was allowed back into Star Fleet to continue their career. You would be given a medical discharge and go back to civilian life.

Radioguy

It seems unlikely that someone committed to a mental hospital ,a felonious fugitive, was allowed back into Star Fleet to continue their career. You would be given a medical discharge and go back to civilian life.
You've never watched Homeland.

Saikotic

Donator
Watch it with the logic, mister. This is Discovery we're talking about here, where a fat female cadet can outrun fully fit men who've vastly outpaced her.

Radioguy

I hate that they felt they were being "cute" with the swipe editing on the Cage intro to this, or retcon that what happens in this was why Spock smiled in that.

Still, it's evident the Red Angel is the deus ex machina to "solve" all ills, and explain why we even see Burnham as Spock's sister. Clearly, we are meant to believe that she was "always" his sister, even in TOS, and we didn't know but for its actions shown here. Incidentally, that would also, so far at least, confirm this is divergent, at least as much as the Abramsverse is.

mascan42

That was a huge fucking mess of an episode. It's like somebody said "Hey, we're more than halfway through the season, and we still have no answers to any of the premiere's questions. Let's throw them all into one episode!"
Also, the first-act twist - The Red Angel is Michael from the future!?!?!? - is stupid enough on its own without then having another twist on top of it - actually no it's not, it's her long-presumed-dead mother!?!?!?!

This idiocy is only slightly saved by the sudden appearance of Kima from The Wire.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
That was a huge fucking mess of an episode. It's like somebody said "Hey, we're more than halfway through the season, and we still have no answers to any of the premiere's questions. Let's throw them all into one episode!"

Also, the first-act twist - The Red Angel is Michael from the future!?!?!? - is stupid enough on its own without then having another twist on top of it - actually no it's not, it's her long-presumed-dead mother!?!?!?!

This idiocy is only slightly saved by the sudden appearance of Kima from The Wire.
I'd complain that you didn't spoiler this, but that sounds like shit. Thanks for the warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Radioguy

I'd complain that you didn't spoiler this, but that sounds like shit. Thanks for the warning.
@SOS strikes again

Anyhow, credit @mascan42 with first saying it, but the first act twist was obvious a long time ago, and most certain just a couple episodes ago, and STILL I didn't care to bother talking about it. In fact, I've had this on my PCs for days and only watched it today. For me, that says a LOT about how much worse I consider the show - and I mean worse than just a few weeks ago.

As for non-spoilery stuff...

Tilly has become such a caricature of what the character once was that I'm 100% convinced Wiseman must be pissed about it. What was potentially a somewhat funny three-dimensional character has been compacted to comic relief now. Plus, this emotional Spock has veered from a take on the Cage/Where No Man Has Gone Before version to an asshole at best. Then you have the Admiral being incorporated into the crew as an ad hoc Deanna Troi? Blech. She had some depth and reason for existing when Lorca's ex, but she has zero place now, and it really comes across as giving the actress something to do.

Speaking of something to do, Clem Fandango (Ash/Voq) has absolutely no purpose on the show now. None. He's like Kirk's son in STIII. I'm just waiting for him to be killed.

Alright spoilery as for one character...

Killing off the cybernetic gal had no bite, because they only gave her a backstory when it was clear she was for the chop. She was human to begin with? Well, we know that was so the actress would be recognized as a favor, but still. That was too much too fast as @mascan42 said. You can't expect me or anyone else to feel for her, or feel guilt for not doing so. It's your fault as a writer to have squandered that opportunity.

As for some of the interaction, it was absolutely inappropriate, and almost psychotic, to have had Spock jibe with Michael in sick bay and show Pike and the Admiral near burst out laughing as a result. There was no basis for that level of camaraderie in that scene, or their relationships up to then. It was as if they said, "let's have a Kirk/Spock/McCoy epilogue scene somewhere", and they dropped it in at random. There was a total disconnect there.

Same with Georgiou's sexual references to Stammets and his ex(?) in engineering. The fuck was that? What purpose did it have? She needed no extra dialogue to show she was a bitch, but it was awful and pointless.

But, the big spoiler we're left to wonder about now...

The Borg. I mean, injecting the S31 captain with what looks like nanites, and from an AI infected with technology from the future...well, I expect some such reference.

Speaking of "Control", I find it odd that whole plotline is lifted directly from recent post- TNG novels, ones which just wrapped up the same arc. Then again, Kirsten Beyer is a major writer on Disco, and she writes Trek novels. I guess she can legally plagarize.

Radioguy

Well, that last spoiler didn't apply.

Anyhow, was 2/3 into last night's episode suffering through it, when they decided to touch upon Menagerie Pike. The rest was awful, especially the setup for why they showed that, but as before, Anson Mount is the only thing they got right. Oh, he's wasted in this, and his Pike is ludicrously undermined by Burnham in scenes, but his take on the character actually turned out far better than Bruce Greenwood's. He IS Pike.

Now, it's not gonna happen, but the best thing these people could do is oust Burnham as a character and shift the story to the Enterprise witth him as captain. It's better to start fresh with all the awful licensing constraints that still make this an alternate universe, but if that's not gonna happen, I could watch him as Pike and enjoy that at least.

Bobobie

This makes some sense out of the whole Discovery Abortion. The Timeline was messed up back durring The Enterprise series and the reason everything is unrecognizable ---Spocks Sister, Spore Drive, Emo Spock --- is because this is another Timeline. The fix will mean the end of the Discovery series when the Timeline is restored. I doubt it, but it does sound plausible.

Radioguy

Within three minutes of watching that, I started to wonder if this was a proxy effort on part of Secret Hideout.

That whoever made this doesn't know about the license restrictions leading to what changes were made is impossible considering how far they go to make a case for this theory. In fact, they go to great pains not to even touch upon it, which screams this is something engineered to muddy the waters of what Midnight's Edge and others have revealed.

Again, before anyone forgets, this show is produced under a limited license for principal characters and elements which requires 25% substantive change from any original Star Trek property. It is the same license under which the Kelvin films were made, and new Picard series will be produced, and why no additional TNG characters have been announced to appear in that as each needs to be licensed separately. Every additional character from ENT/TOS/TNG/VOY cannot ever be canon/prime in the context of any previous series, and if any effort was made to consolidate what has transpired in Disco up to now with the original canon timeline, it would only be to establish a timeline which is still 25% different than TOS+. This cannot be fixed unless VIACOM remerges with CBS and decides this series can be retooled without restriction.

All that aside, if they produced a series that was enjoyable and unencumbered by the need to "fix" it, then canon shmanon. The one thing these guy's vid admits to is that this is has to be an alternate timeline either way. If they are going to continue, then they should embrace that.

The sad thing, and the reason why I theorized the Borg connection before this vid (it was obvious) but then dropped it, is that it seemed stupid to go that far, as it would need even MORE effort to fit it in and now explain who and what they are to the Disco-only audience. Of course, I also thought that it was a thread for the Picard series to tie into, but it still is too much. Right now, they need not go down the Borg route (of course, by now they've committed one way or the other), but if they do they are digging a deeper hole that will hurt chances of another season and maybe even the Picard series working.

In the end, that's probably for the best. I just wish that this chance to have Stewart back in Trek wouldn't be squandered.