Star Trek: Discovery is on CBS' (On Demand Streaming Service)

Bobobie

I was hoping the Viacom/CBS merger would have happened by now, before they started production of the new series.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
I'm probably the only person here to crack the spine of a Star Trek book, but I can tell you what reason there was to read what the books did with the post-Nemesis timeline is pretty much gone. Like the video touched upon, the whole Section 31 aspect of Trek has been cleansed like a patriarchy. The new novel that just dropped is a revisionist effort to emasculate Picard as a weakened character who needs redemption as he has been touched by them.

Of course, the whole situation with the books started to go bad in '09 when Abrams made his diktat about stopping TOS+ licensed output. It went back and forth during the films until Disco came with CBS giving the push to get the main popular authors to do those instead of more TNG. That was an active effort to kill the market thinking they would shift to the new books.

However, all that time, the main TNG book's canon wasn't actively interfered with but for some ever-less subtle, hamfisted at times, current commentary about Trump or racial privilege. That's changed. Now they are killing off characters previously seen as strong pillars of Starfleet, even heroes on screen in TNG/DS9/VOY, retconned as criminal members of Section 31 the whole time.

The clincher here is that, for the first time in this canon, Phillipa Georgiou is mentioned as a past pioneer in Starfleet. That didn't come across as some cute drop in reference, not when considering the rest. It's just one more effort to put a nail in the coffin of classic Trek coming back under the current regime.

I wonder if, like Abrams before, that's what Kurtzman is insisting upon now. Burn it all down before any merger so he can keep the reins in all media.

Radioguy

Oh, their effort to wrap up everything last night in one last episode was awful.

"We will never speak your name among other people" Oof.

Season 3 will not be Star Trek, obviously. They took two seasons to realize they made a mistake starting it like that. Disco is a bit like a parasite that fed off the host, and now is free to make its own way. Trouble is it nearly killed the host.

Wanting Pike as a series seems to be the consensus, but, again, it won't officially fit. However, if they can scrub all Disco references, as they say they will, and not even bring back Ash and those Klingons, it might slide if the stories and acting is good. Frankly, within the terrible confines of the Kurtzman-held license, having a Pike series succeed, and potentially outlive Disco as a series, might be the closest we get to something watchable until that merger.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
WOW, a ton of ppl on twitter loved the finale. I heard a review and I'm shuddering at the bad writing. This is what happens when you grow up with shitty tv, you start to demand it.

Radioguy

So... Disco gone? No return for anyone? Next season, Star Trek TOS reboot with Pike instead of Kirk?

Hmm.
I wish. Seems we'll get Disco 3, but it will be in the far future. (33rd century?). It will still be fucked, but not have to contend with established canon. The problem, is that there IS established canon for that time. That's when Daniels from ENT is from, and the Nexus from Generations is back at at that time too.

Pike may or may not get his own series, but I get the feeling more want that than more Disco.

WOW, a ton of ppl on twitter loved the finale. I heard a review and I'm shuddering at the bad writing. This is what happens when you grow up with shitty tv, you start to demand it.
Define ton and prove they aren't CBS alts.

Saikotic

Donator
I

Define ton and prove they aren't CBS alts.
Ok pal. I'll just use my extensive collection of algorithms at my disposal to verify they're real people, or just say go look at any recent tweet by one of the official accounts. That's all I did and the response was overwhelmingly positive.

Radioguy

Ok pal. I'll just use my extensive collection of algorithms at my disposal to verify they're real people, or just say go look at any recent tweet by one of the official accounts. That's all I did and the response was overwhelmingly positive.
Official accounts of CBS All Access and Star Trek Discovery? Anyhow, I wonder if these tweets were composed before this aired. That's how incredulous I am.

Saikotic

Donator
I just perused the recent tweets that mentioned Star Trek. Again, overwhelmingly positive. Ppl love shit tv apparently.

Saikotic

Donator
It's akin to seeing a trailer to a modern "comedy" film and inwardly groaning at what passes for humor as my friends are laughing hard.

It was the first time I ever FF'd thru a space battle. Talk about long and drawn out. The only good outcome would have been Commander Mary Sue dead in a Final sacrifice. We known Anson Mount was done this season so, yeah no regular ST for us. More adventures, politics, heartaches, and sappy heartfelt speechs in season 3.

It was the first time I ever FF'd thru a space battle. Talk about long and drawn out. The only good outcome would have been Commander Mary Sue dead in a Final sacrifice. We known Anson Mount was done this season so, yeah no regular ST for us. More adventures, politics, heartaches, and sappy heartfelt speechs in season 3.
That battle was incoherent to the point of them firing phasers in random directions whether there's anything to shoot at or not. Also, REL at the urgent countdown that takes twice as long to actually get to zero.

Radioguy

We known Anson Mount was done this season so, yeah no regular ST for us.
From what I read, and what made me doubt how real the reaction @Saikotic was seeing re Disco, is that folks really want a Pike show to the point Kurtzman had to reply to it.

Alex Kurtzman said:
The fans have been heard. Anything is possible in the world of Trek. I would love to bring back that crew more than anything. It was a huge risk for us. One of the most gratifying things is to see how deeply the fans have embraced Pike, Spock, Number One, and the Enterprise. The idea of getting to tell more stories with them would be a delight for all of us.
I have a feeling Kurtzman & Co. will try to scuttle that if they can, as he was a means to an end to get those afflicted with penii to watch this. Still, Mount has been open to the idea. I think Kurtzman might feel pressure from above if he hasn't already. This would be the time to pour it on to CBS for a Pike series, even if just to change the direction of Disco.

Saikotic

Donator
I don't think Kurtzman is interested in a straight white male as a lead.

Plus there's this about Anson:

Radioguy

While I agree completely with him, this guy is the biggest "hater" of Disco, so take that as you will. He did mention the "creative conversation" bit, which I assume is money.

Keep in mind that Daniel Craig also said he wouldn't come back, until money spoke. This could just be a negotiation tactic, and a smart one.

Saikotic

Donator
Yeah I take his videos with a HUUUUGE grain of salt. He bitches about every damn thing.