Movie Star Trek IV - Directed by Quentin Tarantino?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Um...ok.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032/

EXCLUSIVE: Already busy prepping to direct the film he just set up at Sony Pictures, Quentin Tarantino is also planning to boldly go where he has not gone before. Sources said that Tarantino has come up with a great idea for a Star Trek movie at Paramount. After sharing his idea with JJ Abrams (who himself is busy prepping Star Wars Episode IX), I’ve heard the plan is to assemble a writers room of scribes who’ll hear Tarantino’s take and begin to put together a movie. If it all works out, Tarantino might direct it, with Abrams producing.

@LiddyRules

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
I predict it is 3 hours long and takes place only on the bridge of the enterprise.

Bobobie

There will be scene with a Vulcan, Human, Andorian, Klingon, and Romulan in a Mexican Standoff.

Floyd1977

Who does SLJ play?

And does the N-word work its way into the federation?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
Um...ok.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032/

EXCLUSIVE: Already busy prepping to direct the film he just set up at Sony Pictures, Quentin Tarantino is also planning to boldly go where he has not gone before. Sources said that Tarantino has come up with a great idea for a Star Trek movie at Paramount. After sharing his idea with JJ Abrams (who himself is busy prepping Star Wars Episode IX), I’ve heard the plan is to assemble a writers room of scribes who’ll hear Tarantino’s take and begin to put together a movie. If it all works out, Tarantino might direct it, with Abrams producing.

@LiddyRules
A) I've only seen two episodes of Discovery so you can't put this on me.
B) They've already done a Nazi planet. And they've done a gangster planet. And they've done a Western planet. But have they ever done a Samurai planet?
C) Nothing sounds better than a writer's room trying to write a Tarantino-style (what is this, 1996?) Star Trek film.
D) Tarantino has never seemed particularly interested in sci-fi.
E) Weren't they going to do the Mirror Universe with Thor back at Kirk Sr.?
F) I think they're trying to get the Abramsverse back in the public consciousness because after Beyond, which is probably the best one but still not great, no one really cares. But I think there's potential to be mined here.
G) Nothing about this makes any sense.

LiddyRules

I'm looking forward to the Manklingo fight

mascan42

It'll never happen. The ST brand is controlled too tightly by Paramount to allow for something like this. The most we'll get is some small piece of his story will wind up as the basis of a movie. Remember when ST Insurrection started life as a Heart of Darkness-style story with Data going insane and Picard having to hunt him down? That turned into a minor subplot that was solved in the first 15 minutes, and the movie became a shitty allegory about environmentalism and Native Americans.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
A) I've only seen two episodes of Discovery so you can't put this on me.
B) They've already done a Nazi planet. And they've done a gangster planet. And they've done a Western planet. But have they ever done a Samurai planet?
TNG Klingons were the samurai. Bat'leth.

C) Nothing sounds better than a writer's room trying to write a Tarantino-style (what is this, 1996?) Star Trek film.
Well, he can do a time travel episode where someone(s) is unstuck in time. Like in Voyager's "The Fight" where Chakotay became unstuck in chaotic space.

D) Tarantino has never seemed particularly interested in sci-fi.
From Dusk till Dawn had vampires.

F) I think they're trying to get the Abramsverse back in the public consciousness because after Beyond, which is probably the best one but still not great, no one really cares. But I think there's potential to be mined here.
He will definitely draw an audience outside the usual Star Trek one. The movie could have some unusual buzz from noobish reporters.

G) Nothing about this makes any sense.
I guess they can't reboot the series again so why not try a director who has a different take; a take that will offend the fact memorizers.

Muscles

No way this happens. Tarantino is not going to be in a writers room having his ideas being picked at by Sony stooges. He will throw around ideas and at most get a production credit, but theres no way he gets in the directors seat. He would need full control and Sony would never hand him that and 150 milllion.

Floyd1977

Did you see the sign that said "dead Klingon storage?!!"

LiddyRules

No way this happens. Tarantino is not going to be in a writers room having his ideas being picked at by Sony stooges. He will throw around ideas and at most get a production credit, but theres no way he gets in the directors seat. He would need full control and Sony would never hand him that and 150 milllion.
This is Paramount. Sony is doing his 1969/Manson movie, where he basically raked them over the coals to get what he wanted. So the idea of him going from what seems to be full control of a $100 million+ movie to probably zero control doesn't track. If Tarantino really had an idea for a Star Trek movie and really wanted to do it himself, he'd probably pull an Orville, change some of the names, and create his own thing.

Pigdango

Donator
This is Paramount. Sony is doing his 1969/Manson movie, where he basically raked them over the coals to get what he wanted. So the idea of him going from what seems to be full control of a $100 million+ movie to probably zero control doesn't track. If Tarantino really had an idea for a Star Trek movie and really wanted to do it himself, he'd probably pull an Orville, change some of the names, and create his own thing.
I think this plays out with Tarantino getting a “story by” credit on the next film and that’s about it. Still, that’s enough to actually get me interested, something that otherwise wasn’t likely after STB, which was completely forgettable.

LiddyRules

I think this plays out with Tarantino getting a “story by” credit on the next film and that’s about it. Still, that’s enough to actually get me interested, something that otherwise wasn’t likely after STB, which was completely forgettable.
I have this in the same bin as Joker: Origins. I'm sure there is some kernel of truth in it somewhere, but I overall see it as 99% offhand remark/rumor that got out of control, 1% possibility of it being at all believable.

Pigdango

Donator
I have this in the same bin as Joker: Origins. I'm sure there is some kernel of truth in it somewhere, but I overall see it as 99% offhand remark/rumor that got out of control, 1% possibility of it being at all believable.
I’m sure you’re right. The two of them probably bumped into each other at a taco stand and QT said “hey man I got an idea for Star Trek...” and someone overheard it and made up the rest. That being said, I think JJ cares so little about Paramount and Star Trek that he would be willing to let someone film QT’s taco stand idea if it means they will leave him alone.

Floyd1977

I think this plays out with Tarantino getting a “story by” credit on the next film and that’s about it. Still, that’s enough to actually get me interested.
Often a "Story By" credit means absolute dick. A lot of times the person who gets it was the one who took the first crack at the material even though the finished film may contain virtually none of that person's ideas.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Spock: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals
Kirk: Yeah but bacon tastes good. Poke chops taste good

LiddyRules

I said this when they came out, but I'll say it again. I consider both Apocalypse and Beyond in the same category of "Just Entertaining Enough." Beyond is better, but I think Apocalypse is more memorable.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Often a "Story By" credit means absolute dick. A lot of times the person who gets it was the one who took the first crack at the material even though the finished film may contain virtually none of that person's ideas.
Something like Oliver Stone with Conan The Barbarian. ;)

Stig

Living In Your Heads, Rent-Free.
So Kirk is forced to fight some alien, gladiator-style and kills him. The local warlord paid him to take a dive. He escapes in a space taxi driven by an exotic alien chick and fucks her...

LiddyRules

So Kirk is forced to fight some alien, gladiator-style and kills him. The local warlord paid him to take a dive. He escapes in a space taxi driven by an exotic alien chick and fucks her...