Star Wars: Battlefront 3

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
This is goin great.

[video=youtube;VJfc4bAiByM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJfc4bAiByM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Early early early build.

What do you think? Potential? Space/flight combat looks promising at least.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Maybe they couldn't figure out how to make it so one does not get fragged in the first seconds of game play.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
This is why it was cancelled, you can blame the assholes who now run LucasArts
http://kotaku.com/5907686/psychopat...-wars-battlefront-iii-former-studio-exec-says
Top Stories

Full size
lucasarts
By Kate Cox
May 4, 2012 1:30 PM
40,956 325
Get our top stories
follow kotaku

“Psychopaths” at LucasArts Led to Cancellation of Star Wars: Battlefront III, Former Studio Exec Says

Star Wars: Battlefront III was once a game well and truly in development, at UK studio Free Radical. Since its 2008 cancellation, it has been supposedly off and on more times than anyone can count. Like many studios, Free Radical had its fair share of ups and downs, hits and misses over the years. But despite the mixed successes of their earlier games, it was one particular brush with the dark side of Star Wars that finally pushed them over the edge.

In a new, lengthy interview with Eurogamer, Free Radical's founders describe how ultimately, work on the Star Wars game led to the studio's downfall. In the beginning, said co-founders David Doak and Steve Ellis, the Battlefront III job was a dream come true. It was an "ambitious" project, and for two years of development, from 2006 until 2008, all signs were positive. The developer had a good working relationship with their contacts at LucasArts and game milestones were being met regularly.

The life of Battlefront III hinged on the goodwill of executive staff at LucasArts, but when a change in leadership struck, the goodwill went away. Doak said, "[We] began thinking that the dates were looking a bit tight ... so we thought we'd do what we had never done before and let LucasArts know our concerns." It seemed like a good idea at the time: "Because LucasArts had been so good to work with, we thought they'd see the sense of what we were saying. And that coincided with [LucasArts president] Jim Ward not being there one day."

According to Doak, the change in leadership and tone presented an immediate, and drastic problem: "We still thought we'd done the right thing. And then we went from talking to people who were passionate about making games to talking to psychopaths who insisted on having an unpleasant lawyer in the room." From there, conditions continued to worsen. LucasArts stopped payments to Free Radical, and after six months it was wearing heavily on the team. Doak in particular found his role to have grown completely untenable:

My role at Free Radical meant that I was simultaneously involved in these unpleasant "high level" discussions with psychopaths who wanted to destroy us, and then the next day sitting with our dev staff at their desks trying to boost people's morale. Helping them to pass milestones that I knew would subsequently be manipulated to cause them to fail. It was the most depressing and pointless thing that I have ever been involved in. The dream job which I once loved had become a nightmarish torture.

The studio, despite owning its own IP from the Timesplitters series, couldn't recover. Free Radical eventually went into administration (bankruptcy), with its founders leaving to form a new studio and its core assets purchased by Crytek.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Management and lawyers fucking up a good thing? Say it ain't so.
:arrrh:

What happened to the R. Budd Dwyer smiley?

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
Let's keep in mind that the originals were made by Pandemic Studios and published by Lucasarts, while this new one is being made by DICE (ya hear?) and published by EA.

EA is batting a solid zero when it comes to taking over brilliant franchises.
ME2&3
DAII
Sim City
Command and Conquer
Ultima

I'm sure you could dig through their acquisitions and not find one series that was actually made better by the takeover.
That doesn't mean I won't remain hopeful, but I will seriously be watching the most discerning aficionados for honest reviews, and not the fucking mountaindewdoritosGOTY horseshit that permeates the professional reviews as well as the metacritic scores. What's this world coming to when you can't even trust metacritic?

WadsOfShit

Dead to Everyone on Wackbag.
Oct 10, 2013
Let's keep in mind that the originals were made by Pandemic Studios and published by Lucasarts, while this new one is being made by DICE (ya hear?) and published by EA.

EA is batting a solid zero when it comes to taking over brilliant franchises.
ME2&3
DAII
Sim City
Command and Conquer
Ultima

I'm sure you could dig through their acquisitions and not find one series that was actually made better by the takeover.
That doesn't mean I won't remain hopeful, but I will seriously be watching the most discerning aficionados for honest reviews, and not the fucking mountaindewdoritosGOTY horseshit that permeates the professional reviews as well as the metacritic scores. What's this world coming to when you can't even trust metacritic?
As much as I dislike EA, I think they can pull this game off. Primarily because it is being developed by DICE, which has had great success with the Battlefield series which has become the most popular FPS games on the market. Couple that with the fact they will be using the Frostbite 3 Engine, which is a very good game engine (although the current version of the CryEngine is leaps and bounds a better game engine in my opinion), I think EA can create a great Star Wars Battlefront game.