Movie Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - We're Sorry, We're So So Sorry - December 20, 2019, dir. JJ Abrams

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Ie "for everyone who said we were bereft of ideas and just replaying the originals, you were righter than even you realized."
It’s weird to think that years from now The Last Jedi will be hailed as Kathleen Kennedy’s only attempt at doing something a tiny bit different. Also, with Star Wars going on “hiatus” after this, will this be her last film?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
It’s weird to think that years from now The Last Jedi will be hailed as Kathleen Kennedy’s only attempt at doing something a tiny bit different. Also, with Star Wars going on “hiatus” after this, will this be her last film?
Do you know how hard I will REL if it ends with Kylo Ren sacrificing himself to kill Palpy II?

“JJ came up with it...”
It can mean anything. It asks questions. It's emotional. It's a name ... but is it more than a name? Family. Hope. Force. Empire. X-Wings.

Pigdango

Donator
Do you know how hard I will REL if it ends with Kylo Ren sacrificing himself to kill Palpy II?
This is what @BIV and all the other folks that liked Rogue One for this scene really don't get.

Yes, it's neato, but does it really work coming out after Return of the Jedi, when we're supposed to accept that Darth Vader was really a good guy deep down? And I think that's one key failing of the Prequels that nobody talks about. As hilarious as this is on many levels:

It probably goes too far. If you catalog Vader's actions in the Original Trilogy, he's got a pretty sparse kill count. One Rebel guy who was really pissing him off, Obi Wan, who sacrificed himself, and a couple of his own men who deserved it. There were also moments like this:

Where you begin to see some cracks of light in Vader.

Now if you track Kylo against Vader, at first they seem parallel - He tortures Poe and Rey the way Vader tortured Han and Leia. He kills Han as Vader did Obi Wan, and he didn't take the shot when he could have killed Leia in TLJ. He even kills Snoke to save Rey as Vader killed Palpy to save Luke. But then - as many people have pointed out in TLJ, he has a fucking psychotic break and tries to murder everyone. And the comparison really falls apart at the start. His murder of Han was far worse than Vader killing Obi Wan.

I really don't see how they sell a redemption for Kylo. It seems he's too far gone. But people cheering Vader killing Rebels knowing he's supposed to be the hero in Return of the Jedi probably gives them the courage to try it.

This is what @BIV and all the other folks that liked Rogue One for this scene really don't get.

Yes, it's neato, but does it really work coming out after Return of the Jedi, when we're supposed to accept that Darth Vader was really a good guy deep down? And I think that's one key failing of the Prequels that nobody talks about. As hilarious as this is on many levels:
I can't stand that scene (or Rogue 1 for that matter) but I bet BIV has read more than his share of the comics where Vader single handedly obliterated waves of troops by himself. The EU built Vader to be this remorseless killing machine, and only when he finally encountered his son and daughter starting in EP IV did his armor start showing some chinks in it.

LiddyRules

I can't stand that scene (or Rogue 1 for that matter) but I bet BIV has read more than his share of the comics where Vader single handedly obliterated waves of troops by himself. The EU built Vader to be this remorseless killing machine, and only when he finally encountered his son and daughter starting in EP IV did his armor start showing some chinks in it.

Nobody cares about the EU grandpa.

Pigdango

Donator

I get it - Vader is probably the best villain of all time, and it's very tempting to show what a bad ass he was. But it doesn't really serve his character arc in the Original Trilogy to do so. The more evil atrocities you show him committing, the harder it is to convince people that one decent act means he's redeemed.

"Tell your sister...you were right about me"

It's the reason a Black Widow prequel that shows how she got all the red in her ledger isn't a good idea.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

It probably goes too far. If you catalog Vader's actions in the Original Trilogy, he's got a pretty sparse kill count. One Rebel guy who was really pissing him off, Obi Wan, who sacrificed himself, and a couple of his own men who deserved it. There were also moments like this:

Where you begin to see some cracks of light in Vader.

Now if you track Kylo against Vader, at first they seem parallel - He tortures Poe and Rey the way Vader tortured Han and Leia. He kills Han as Vader did Obi Wan, and he didn't take the shot when he could have killed Leia in TLJ. He even kills Snoke to save Rey as Vader killed Palpy to save Luke. But then - as many people have pointed out in TLJ, he has a fucking psychotic break and tries to murder everyone. And the comparison really falls apart at the start. His murder of Han was far worse than Vader killing Obi Wan.

I really don't see how they sell a redemption for Kylo. It seems he's too far gone. But people cheering Vader killing Rebels knowing he's supposed to be the hero in Return of the Jedi probably gives them the courage to try it.
Your perception of Vader is exactly why fans cheered that scene. Vader was a cold assed killer. The emperor had completely choked away his humanity. The only time it emerged with in personal relationships, either those he couldn't help but care about or those who were the focus of his hate.

The man who was Anikan Skywalker was effectively dead, submerged under Darth Vader.

You could almost say he had a split personality. "Vader" was always trying to fight to the surface, like when he slaughtered the sand people.

But Vader EARNED his reputation, and he did it by slaughtering thousands with his own blade.

It wasn't that Vader was redeemed, it was that, in the end, Anikan was able to emerge and stamp out Vader. A process, caused by Luke, that took the entire OT.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Anakin was not good. The force is not good and evil. Yoda was a faggot.

LiddyRules

I heard some more rumors, but so did Mr. Sunday Movies, so I'll let him say it. He's far more entertaining than me.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the TIE flip is a dream sequence.

LiddyRules

Your perception of Vader is exactly why fans cheered that scene. Vader was a cold assed killer. The emperor had completely choked away his humanity. The only time it emerged with in personal relationships, either those he couldn't help but care about or those who were the focus of his hate.

The man who was Anikan Skywalker was effectively dead, submerged under Darth Vader.

You could almost say he had a split personality. "Vader" was always trying to fight to the surface, like when he slaughtered the sand people.

But Vader EARNED his reputation, and he did it by slaughtering thousands with his own blade.

It wasn't that Vader was redeemed, it was that, in the end, Anikan was able to emerge and stamp out Vader. A process, caused by Luke, that took the entire OT.
I agree with your analysis of Vader. The problem was the prequels never showed Ani as anything but a dipshit so that aspect of the character was lost.

I disagree with why audiences cheered. It had nothing to do with his "character" and everything to do with them being simpletons who liked a laser sword being swung around.

LiddyRules

I assumed it was Kylo using Force Time to train Rey.
Well well well well. Looks like we have competing theories. @BIV weigh in!

Though I do like the idea of Kylo sitting in a parked TIE Fighter like it's that really old Star Wars arcade game making pew pew sounds.

Pigdango

Donator
Could be nothing, but there was no story on Deadline or anywhere else about the Episode 9 trailer breaking the internet.

You know, stories like this:

https://variety.com/2018/digital/ne...d-trailer-worldwide-24-hour-views-1203085074/

Or this:

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture...ler-second-most-watched-trailer-ever-24-hours

That's been a pretty common story thread the past couple years, as the studios keep adding sources to invent new records.

Beauty and the Beast
https://variety.com/2016/film/news/beauty-and-the-beast-trailer-record-most-views-1201918863/

The Lion King

It
https://ew.com/movies/2017/03/31/it-trailer-record-fate-of-the-furious//

And of course The Last Jedi:
https://www.starwars.com/news/thank-you-for-supporting-star-wars-the-last-jedi
And The Force Awakens:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ailer-viewed-112-million-times-first-24-hours

The Episode 9 Trailer has a relatively modest 23 million views on YouTube. It's only been a few days, and part of it is YouTube's fault. When you search "Star Wars episode 9 trailer" the actual trailer is the 4th result down. But still...

The Episode 9 Trailer has a relatively modest 23 million views on YouTube. It's only been a few days, and part of it is YouTube's fault. When you search "Star Wars episode 9 trailer" the actual trailer is the 4th result down. But still...
I heard they made two versions of the trailer based on how Captain Marvel did.

LiddyRules

Could be nothing, but there was no story on Deadline or anywhere else about the Episode 9 trailer breaking the internet.

You know, stories like this:

https://variety.com/2018/digital/ne...d-trailer-worldwide-24-hour-views-1203085074/

Or this:

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture...ler-second-most-watched-trailer-ever-24-hours

That's been a pretty common story thread the past couple years, as the studios keep adding sources to invent new records.

Beauty and the Beast
https://variety.com/2016/film/news/beauty-and-the-beast-trailer-record-most-views-1201918863/

The Lion King

It
https://ew.com/movies/2017/03/31/it-trailer-record-fate-of-the-furious//

And of course The Last Jedi:
https://www.starwars.com/news/thank-you-for-supporting-star-wars-the-last-jedi
And The Force Awakens:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ailer-viewed-112-million-times-first-24-hours

I think it's because people don't want their YouTube suggestions algorithm to be skewed with 15 "Why TROS Trailer is the Worst Trailer Ever And Star Wars Will Never Be Great Again" response videos.

I thought The Rise Of Skywalker was a clunky title and now I realize it's an acronym anagram of Revenge Of The Sith. COINCIDENCE?!??!?!?!?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I'm surprised he didn't mention the TIE flip is a dream sequence.
I don't think it was a dream sequence. I think she was on the same skiff as Poe, Finn and C3PO (chase scene with jet packs) and either fell off or purposely jumped off at some point during the chase.

LiddyRules

I don't think it was a dream sequence. I think she was on the same skiff as Poe, Finn and C3PO (chase scene with jet packs) and either fell off or purposely jumped off at some point during the chase.
THREE THEORIES?!?