Movie Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - We're Sorry, We're So So Sorry - December 20, 2019, dir. JJ Abrams

LiddyRules

Signed To a Non-Exclusive Consultancy
I’m still trying to figure out what kind of movie they can make if they don’t do anything more with her character. I heard a rumor that she’s going to have a kid in this one, but I think that’s Rey-lo fan fiction.
She needs to defeat the First Order because the First Order is bad and the Resistance is good. What more do you need? It doesn't matter if the First Order stinks as a villain because there's no sense of their scope or if there's some galactic rule that The Group That Destroys The Senate Controls The Galaxy and their two leaders are morons. First Order = Bad.

It's the exact same arc Poe and Finn will have too. Because really, what else do they have?

It's interesting how ESB enhanced the relationship between all the characters while TLJ did the exact opposite by splitting the main three good guys apart for the entire film. Why did they do that? Or to ask a better question, why did they do that only to have everyone back together at the end?

I don't think Rey will have a child. If the father is Finn or Poe (the only two real options), I think people would have wanted to see their relationship build up instead of tuning in on a couple of years of domestic bliss. if it's not Finn or Poe, I think people would want to know who he is and his background, and I don't think having him dead at the start would satisfy anyone.

And I still think that having Dead Fisher will be more distracting than having no Fisher at all. If they must, have Rey dream her voice during some Force Dream because she's f'ing dead at the start.

Last edited:

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
She needs to defeat the First Order because the First Order is bad and the Resistance is good. What more do you need? It doesn't matter if the First Order stinks as a villain because there's no sense of their scope or if there's some galactic rule that The Group That Destroys The Senate Controls The Galaxy and their two leaders are morons. First Order = Bad.

It's the exact same arc Poe and Finn will have too. Because really, what else do they have?

It's interesting how ESB enhanced the relationship between all the characters while TLJ did the exact opposite by splitting the main three good guys apart for the entire film. Why did they do that? Or to ask a better question, why did they do that only to have everyone back together at the end?

I don't think Rey will have a child. If the father is Finn or Poe (the only two real options), I think people would have wanted to see their relationship build up instead of tuning in on a couple of years of domestic bliss. if it's not Finn or Poe, I think people would want to know who he is and his background, and I don't think having him dead at the start would satisfy anyone.

And I still think that having Dead Fisher will be more distracting than having no Fisher at all. If they must, have Rey dream her voice during some Force Dream because she's f'ing dead at the start.
Baby via midicholoreans. Bring this bitch back full circle.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I’m still trying to figure out what kind of movie they can make if they don’t do anything more with her character. I heard a rumor that she’s going to have a kid in this one, but I think that’s Rey-lo fan fiction.
The best thing they could do, IMO, is a long time jump, like a few years.

I think not doing a jump between TFA and TLJ hurt them, in the end. They didn't allow the characters to have off screen growth.

Give Rey time to be forced into a leadership role, like Luke was at the beginning of Empire.

LiddyRules

I think not doing a jump between TFA and TLJ hurt them, in the end. They didn't allow the characters to have off screen growth.

Give Rey time to be forced into a leadership role, like Luke was at the beginning of Empire.
Alternatively, Rey is forced into a leadership role she doesn't want. With Leia dead, she's the only known Force user among them so people (the 20 people left in the Resistance) expect her to be more and give more than she is or can.

I can just see the opening scroll

"Princess Leia - after using her diplomatic contacts to assemble a new Rebel Alliance, and finishing Rey's training, has fallen gravely ill and can only communicate via text messaging"

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I can just see the opening scroll

"Princess Leia - after using her diplomatic contacts to assemble a new Rebel Alliance, and finishing Rey's training, has fallen gravely ill and can only communicate via text messaging"
Force text messaging?

Pigdango

Donator
I do agree with @BIV that a time jump is necessary if for no other reason than to put the Wars into Star Wars. Right now the Resistance has one ship in their fleet. They will need time to mysteriously assemble a gigantic army. I guess because of the legend of Luke Skywalker facing down some AT-AT's? But Luke is dead? Why would people...rally? Maybe the legend of Luke is that after facing down all those AT-AT's he was killed by Kylo? Maybe? What exactly is the legend? Are the Resistance folks not aware that Luke was a hologram? Are they aware and they're just lying about it?

Why wouldn't people want to rally against the First Order after they nuked like 6 planets at once? Why does it take a tall tale about a holographic Jedi to convince them?

Star Wars, including the Prequels, was brilliant in the simplicity of it's setup.

A single man hatches a plot to overthrow the Galactic Republic and their peacekeeping force of Jedi Knights and make himself Emperor of the Galaxy. He does this by convincing a group of disgruntled businessmen to fund a droid army and use that military might to draw the Republic into a conflict. He then exaggerates the threat of this droid army using his position within the Republic, convincing them to utilize an army he's secretly been building for several years. Because of the threat of the droid army, nobody questions why this army was built, they simply give the man what he wants and puts him legally in charge of it. He then uses it to not only exterminate the droid army, but the Jedi as well, securing his control. For the next 20 years he rules the galaxy with an iron fist, but the remnants of the Old Republic and Jedi Knights join together to Rebel against his rule. He is finally overthrown when the Jedi Knight he was working with betrays and murders him.

There it is. 6 movies summed up in one paragraph. Taken right from the movies themselves.

What can we take from the first two movies of this new trilogy? Let me give it a shot:

A single man begins working for a man who wants to destroy the Galactic Republic because he believes his Grandfather - the Jedi Knight who betrayed and murdered the Emperor and saved the Republic - was doing some pretty cool stuff before he did that. He watches as another guy working for the man actually does destroy the entire Galactic Republic, leaving only a small Resistance army that is led by his Mother. He and the two men he's working with embark on a mission to destroy his mother and her Resistance army. A girl he has known for one day shows up says she thinks he's probably a good guy. He takes her to his boss, and then murders him, telling the girl they should then continue the boss' mission of destroying the Resistance army. She figures out he's not such a good guy and runs away. He then announces that he's in charge, and orders the third guy to destroy most of the remaining Resistance army, leaving only his mother, the girl he met yesterday, and a few other people alive.

It took as much time to summarize two movies as it did six, but I got it done. So the question remains - where does the story go from there?

LiddyRules

I do agree with @BIV that a time jump is necessary if for no other reason than to put the Wars into Star Wars. Right now the Resistance has one ship in their fleet. They will need time to mysteriously assemble a gigantic army. I guess because of the legend of Luke Skywalker facing down some AT-AT's? But Luke is dead? Why would people...rally? Maybe the legend of Luke is that after facing down all those AT-AT's he was killed by Kylo? Maybe? What exactly is the legend? Are the Resistance folks not aware that Luke was a hologram? Are they aware and they're just lying about it?

Why wouldn't people want to rally against the First Order after they nuked like 6 planets at once? Why does it take a tall tale about a holographic Jedi to convince them?

Star Wars, including the Prequels, was brilliant in the simplicity of it's setup.

A single man hatches a plot to overthrow the Galactic Republic and their peacekeeping force of Jedi Knights and make himself Emperor of the Galaxy. He does this by convincing a group of disgruntled businessmen to fund a droid army and use that military might to draw the Republic into a conflict. He then exaggerates the threat of this droid army using his position within the Republic, convincing them to utilize an army he's secretly been building for several years. Because of the threat of the droid army, nobody questions why this army was built, they simply give the man what he wants and puts him legally in charge of it. He then uses it to not only exterminate the droid army, but the Jedi as well, securing his control. For the next 20 years he rules the galaxy with an iron fist, but the remnants of the Old Republic and Jedi Knights join together to Rebel against his rule. He is finally overthrown when the Jedi Knight he was working with betrays and murders him.

There it is. 6 movies summed up in one paragraph. Taken right from the movies themselves.

What can we take from the first two movies of this new trilogy? Let me give it a shot:

A single man begins working for a man who wants to destroy the Galactic Republic because he believes his Grandfather - the Jedi Knight who betrayed and murdered the Emperor and saved the Republic - was doing some pretty cool stuff before he did that. He watches as another guy working for the man actually does destroy the entire Galactic Republic, leaving only a small Resistance army that is led by his Mother. He and the two men he's working with embark on a mission to destroy his mother and her Resistance army. A girl he has known for one day shows up says she thinks he's probably a good guy. He takes her to his boss, and then murders him, telling the girl they should then continue the boss' mission of destroying the Resistance army. She figures out he's not such a good guy and runs away. He then announces that he's in charge, and orders the third guy to destroy most of the remaining Resistance army, leaving only his mother, the girl he met yesterday, and a few other people alive.

It took as much time to summarize two movies as it did six, but I got it done. So the question remains - where does the story go from there?
First Order = bad.

LiddyRules

You have thoughts on the First Order, eh? Let me break it down.

I don't know what the fuck they're about.

In the original Trilogy, the Empire made sense. They were an omnipresent power with an infrastructure and boot stomping dominance. The Rebel Alliance were the plucky underdogs because the Empire was all there was, and you knew they were fascist monsters. You understood that the bad guys control everything and why there was a need for a rebellion. The prequel kind of truncated the timeline, but you got to see how they got their power. How they used the methods of government and military already in place to become lords of the galaxy. People might not have liked them but it was hard to rebel because of how powerful they were, and for a lot of people it was all they knew. Regardless, they had decades to establish themselves and their dominance.

Onto the new trilogy. First Order = bad.

But how did they get their power? They're growing black babies. They're taking over planets (including Planet Tico). They're building a Death Star 1000x bigger than the original Death Star. All without anyone knowing? It's not like they're being particularly secretive. I know Biv will be like "well technically in the outer rims, woozle wuzzle, dibzy, doodle" but as a viewer, that explanation is not satisfying.

Which leads to my next point - who are we supposed to be rooting for? We wanted some good form of order to replace the Empire in The Original Trilogy because they were evil. Didn't matter what it was, we knew it would be better. For this? We never got to know the Galactic Senate enough to want them to survive, and the fact that they missed all of the First Order's shenanigans makes them seem incompetent at best. Maybe if they were a bigger figure during TFA or there was some sort of mole working with the First Order to bring them down, that would be one thing. But they weren't. We see one shot of people standing on a balcony and then bloop, the galaxy has no government anymore. And good because they suck. As I said above, it was like 'he who destroys the Senate becomes the Senate.' #JusticeForLex

Because TLJ starts immediately after TFA, their dominance makes even less sense. It only "makes sense" in the way of "this series needs to line up with the other series so shut up."

I would have liked to see how regular people reacted to what happened in the events of TFA. We barely get a sense of what it actually "means" from the Resistance. Because it was done so sloppily, I couldn't tell if the people in Canto Bright even knew what had happened. The news might not have gotten to them. Who knows what is known by individual planets?

What we had in TFA was an underground force versus another underground force. At the end of TLJ, we have a decimated underground force versus another decimated underground force. I don't care about either of the sides because they both bring incompetence and misery wherever they go. Instead of wanting to see the fall of the First Order, I just want both sides to stupid with this piddly nonsense and leave everyone else alone.

And based on this set up, there are different character types they could have added to the series to bolster it. A member of the government who somehow escaped, a mole either in the Senate for TFA or in the Resistance for TLJ, a war profiteer who grasps Hux's nuts (I had no problem with the war profiteer element, just that they did nothing with the war profiteer element). Instead we get none of that. We get Bad Lando and Potatoes.

LiddyRules

He faced off against a bunch of AT-ATs, survived, and then disappeared into the night. He's a legend. No body, no death, just wandering the galaxy helping people in need. He is eternal.

Because it's not about the Resistance. It's about how swell the Jedi are.

I guess that's the real question. Is the focus of the series about the power/rebuilding of the Jedi or the Resistance vs. First Order? The original trilogy managed a nice balance between the two and tied them together. With this, there's a disconnect between what is the important one.

BIV

This is not what I think SHOULD happen, this is what I think they WILL do.

I see two options.

#1. The Resistance is getting their own Death Star. Not literally, I hope. But I would be willing to bet that Ep. 9 will be all about the search for the MacGuffin that will allow them to defeat the First Order "once and for all." They may need Lando to find it. Rey has been forced into a leadership role, likely begrudgingly, and will have to take a greater one when Leia dies early in the movie (I'm guessing a space battle). She will find something in Luke's books that can stop the First Order and they will hunt for it while Poe holds them off militarily.

Not the best plotline, but it could, at least, return them to par.

#2 This would be the better option, but is far, far less likely. Instead of being about defeating the First Order, the third movie is all about temporarily conceding defeat, getting away and finding the resistance a safe haven to build up their forces (in anticipation of another movie or trilogy). Again, probably a place found in the Luke's books, Lando is needed to find it/get there for some reason, Leia dies in a space battle, Rey has to take leadership.

Hell, these may even be what SHOULD happen, at this point. I can't think of a good way out of it in a single movie.

The biggest problem with this movie is that we still feel like we are heading into Empire, when we are suppose to be heading into Jedi. The second movie did nothing to advance the plot other than fuck things up. They have two movies worth of plot to tell and only one movie to do it in.

LiddyRules

I see two options.

#1. The Resistance is getting their own Death Star. Not literally, I hope. But I would be willing to bet that Ep. 9 will be all about the search for the MacGuffin that will allow them to defeat the First Order "once and for all." They may need Lando to find it. Rey has been forced into a leadership role, likely begrudgingly, and will have to take a greater one when Leia dies early in the movie (I'm guessing a space battle). She will find something in Luke's books that can stop the First Order and they will hunt for it while Poe holds them off militarily.

#2 This would be the better option, but is far, far less likely. Instead of being about defeating the First Order, the third movie is all about temporarily conceding defeat, getting away and finding the resistance a safe haven to build up their forces (in anticipation of another movie or trilogy). Again, probably a place found in the Luke's books, Lando is needed to find it/get there for some reason, Leia dies in a space battle, Rey has to take leadership.

Hell, these may even be what SHOULD happen, at this point. I can't think of a good way out of it in a single movie.

The biggest problem with this movie is that we still feel like we are heading into Empire, when we are suppose to be heading into Jedi. The second movie did nothing to advance the plot other than fuck things up. They have two movies worth of plot to tell and only one movie to do it in.
#2 sounds horrible (because that would mean more movies), but maybe that's the key. Disney got cocky and never saw this as a story-ending trilogy. The second movie didn't need to do anything because it wasn't going to end at Episode 9. Why would you stop so soon after starting especially if you have a cast people like and money to make? Episode 9 might have changed the balance of power to some effect, but Episodes 10 - 12 would be more First Order vs. the Resistance.

Pigdango

Donator
You have thoughts on the First Order, eh? Let me break it down.

I don't know what the fuck they're about.

In the original Trilogy, the Empire made sense. They were an omnipresent power with an infrastructure and boot stomping dominance. The Rebel Alliance were the plucky underdogs because the Empire was all there was, and you knew they were fascist monsters. You understood that the bad guys control everything and why there was a need for a rebellion. The prequel kind of truncated the timeline, but you got to see how they got their power. How they used the methods of government and military already in place to become lords of the galaxy. People might not have liked them but it was hard to rebel because of how powerful they were, and for a lot of people it was all they knew. Regardless, they had decades to establish themselves and their dominance.

Onto the new trilogy. First Order = bad.

But how did they get their power? They're growing black babies. They're taking over planets (including Planet Tico). They're building a Death Star 1000x bigger than the original Death Star. All without anyone knowing? It's not like they're being particularly secretive. I know Biv will be like "well technically in the outer rims, woozle wuzzle, dibzy, doodle" but as a viewer, that explanation is not satisfying.

Which leads to my next point - who are we supposed to be rooting for? We wanted some good form of order to replace the Empire in The Original Trilogy because they were evil. Didn't matter what it was, we knew it would be better. For this? We never got to know the Galactic Senate enough to want them to survive, and the fact that they missed all of the First Order's shenanigans makes them seem incompetent at best. Maybe if they were a bigger figure during TFA or there was some sort of mole working with the First Order to bring them down, that would be one thing. But they weren't. We see one shot of people standing on a balcony and then bloop, the galaxy has no government anymore. And good because they suck. As I said above, it was like 'he who destroys the Senate becomes the Senate.' #JusticeForLex

Because TLJ starts immediately after TFA, their dominance makes even less sense. It only "makes sense" in the way of "this series needs to line up with the other series so shut up."

I would have liked to see how regular people reacted to what happened in the events of TFA. We barely get a sense of what it actually "means" from the Resistance. Because it was done so sloppily, I couldn't tell if the people in Canto Bright even knew what had happened. The news might not have gotten to them. Who knows what is known by individual planets?

What we had in TFA was an underground force versus another underground force. At the end of TLJ, we have a decimated underground force versus another decimated underground force. I don't care about either of the sides because they both bring incompetence and misery wherever they go. Instead of wanting to see the fall of the First Order, I just want both sides to stupid with this piddly nonsense and leave everyone else alone.

And based on this set up, there are different character types they could have added to the series to bolster it. A member of the government who somehow escaped, a mole either in the Senate for TFA or in the Resistance for TLJ, a war profiteer who grasps Hux's nuts (I had no problem with the war profiteer element, just that they did nothing with the war profiteer element). Instead we get none of that. We get Bad Lando and Potatoes.
The destruction of the New Republic might be the biggest miss. The Empire destroyed Alderaan, and you felt the impact at least four different times during A New Hope - You felt real tension, anguish and fear on a very personal level as Princess Leia was made to watch as her homeworld was destroyed. Obi Wan felt the destruction half the galaxy away, and described the terror the people felt. The Millenium Falcon came out of hyperspace and learned that Alderaan had been destroyed, and the dude at the Rebel Base gave a callback to it when he met up with Leia. So even though we didn't know diddly squat about Alderaan, Jimmy Smits, or anything, we felt the destruction of that planet throughout the second half of the movie. It also meant we knew what the Rebels were up against when the Death Star tracked them to their base.

I've watched TFA a few times. I remember Hux gave a speech about how the Republic was bad because they were secretly funding the Resistance, but none of that really explains anything at all about The First Order, how they came to be in power, (I assume they were in power if there was a Resistance) and why they didn't simply squish the Resistance rather than destroying the entire Republic. And again, why wouldn't anyone come to the Resistance' aid? I get that they might be afraid of The First Order after they blew up the Republic, but Starkiller base was destroyed. What did they have to be afraid of? A bunch of slow ships?

Pigdango

Donator
He faced off against a bunch of AT-ATs, survived, and then disappeared into the night. He's a legend. No body, no death, just wandering the galaxy helping people in need. He is eternal.

Because it's not about the Resistance. It's about how swell the Jedi are.

I guess that's the real question. Is the focus of the series about the power/rebuilding of the Jedi or the Resistance vs. First Order? The original trilogy managed a nice balance between the two and tied them together. With this, there's a disconnect between what is the important one.
Maybe the third film will be focused on Rey and her school of Jedi taking on Kylo and the Knights of Ren. With no army and no resources to speak of, it makes sense that the final battle would be a personal showdown between two small groups. Except the First Order still has a massive fucking fleet and the Resistance has one ship.

Last edited:

Pigdango

Donator

I see two options.

I guess it's entirely possible that they decided to play a long game and create two trilogies or six movies around Rey. If that's the plan then maybe she will actually turn to the Dark Side and it will be up to...I don't know... to turn her back. That would be a hell of a shocker and it brings into play all of the kooky theories about Rey being a Snoke or a Palpatine or whatever. You're right that there's not enough time to wrap up a complex story in just one movie, but in four?

Hmmm...

BIV

The destruction of the New Republic might be the biggest miss. The Empire destroyed Alderaan, and you felt the impact at least four different times during A New Hope - You felt real tension, anguish and fear on a very personal level as Princess Leia was made to watch as her homeworld was destroyed. Obi Wan felt the destruction half the galaxy away, and described the terror the people felt. The Millenium Falcon came out of hyperspace and learned that Alderaan had been destroyed, and the dude at the Rebel Base gave a callback to it when he met up with Leia. So even though we didn't know diddly squat about Alderaan, Jimmy Smits, or anything, we felt the destruction of that planet throughout the second half of the movie. It also meant we knew what the Rebels were up against when the Death Star tracked them to their base.

I've watched TFA a few times. I remember Hux gave a speech about how the Republic was bad because they were secretly funding the Resistance, but none of that really explains anything at all about The First Order, how they came to be in power, (I assume they were in power if there was a Resistance) and why they didn't simply squish the Resistance rather than destroying the entire Republic. And again, why wouldn't anyone come to the Resistance' aid? I get that they might be afraid of The First Order after they blew up the Republic, but Starkiller base was destroyed. What did they have to be afraid of? A bunch of slow ships?
History of the New Republic

The New Republic is fat and happy because they won. The new politicians in charge are tired of war and conflict and want to bury their head in the sand.

Meanwhile the First Order is slowly building in strength under Snoke's leadership.

Leia tries to get the politicians to pay attention, especially after the fall of her son, but they consider her a warhawk and refuse to believe the First Order is a real threat.

Leia is so frustrated that she leaves government and illegally starts the resistance for the conflict she knows is coming, whether the New Republic wants it or not.

That is where TFA begins.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
History of the New Republic

The New Republic is fat and happy because they won. The new politicians in charge are tired of war and conflict and want to bury their head in the sand.

Meanwhile the First Order is slowly building in strength under Snoke's leadership.

Leia tries to get the politicians to pay attention, especially after the fall of her son, but they consider her a warhawk and refuse to believe the First Order is a real threat.

Leia is so frustrated that she leaves government and illegally starts the resistance for the conflict she knows is coming, whether the New Republic wants it or not.

That is where TFA begins.
Now some of THAT might have been interesting to watch.

LiddyRules

I guess it's entirely possible that they decided to play a long game and create two trilogies or six movies around Rey. If that's the plan then maybe she will actually turn to the Dark Side and it will be up to...I don't know... to turn her back. That would be a hell of a shocker and it brings into play all of the kooky theories about Rey being a Snoke or a Palpatine or whatever. You're right that there's not enough time to wrap up a complex story in just one movie, but in four?

Hmmm...
I don't think they'd go four. I think they think there's something iconic about Star Wars Trilogy. And they're not entirely wrong. Based on our current operating theory from 2 hours ago about this being a series of trilogies, this first trilogy would be setting everything up while the second trilogy (starting around 2022) would be the thing that brings everything together. Will they rush everything to an end in Episode 9? I don't know. But I don't think they'd go four. We would have heard about it by now.

LiddyRules

They got themselves a convoy.

Pigdango

Donator
I don't think they'd go four. I think they think there's something iconic about Star Wars Trilogy. And they're not entirely wrong. Based on our current operating theory from 2 hours ago about this being a series of trilogies, this first trilogy would be setting everything up while the second trilogy (starting around 2022) would be the thing that brings everything together. Will they rush everything to an end in Episode 9? I don't know. But I don't think they'd go four. We would have heard about it by now.
But if Rey ain’t a Skywalker and she kills Kylo, then that would be an ending to a three movie story arc for Kylo and the end of the Skywalker saga as Kennedy has said these three movies will be. The next trilogy could then focus on her journey to the dark side and possible eventual redemption.

And by dark side I mean her having sex with Finn.

BIV

But if Rey ain’t a Skywalker and she kills Kylo, then that would be an ending to a three movie story arc for Kylo and the end of the Skywalker saga as Kennedy has said these three movies will be. The next trilogy could then focus on her journey to the dark side and possible eventual redemption.

And by dark side I mean her having sex with Finn.
he's busy banging that Asian 5.