Movie Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - We're Sorry, We're So So Sorry - December 20, 2019, dir. JJ Abrams

This is not what I think SHOULD happen, this is what I think they WILL do.

I see two options.

#1. The Resistance is getting their own Death Star. Not literally, I hope. But I would be willing to bet that Ep. 9 will be all about the search for the MacGuffin that will allow them to defeat the First Order "once and for all." They may need Lando to find it. Rey has been forced into a leadership role, likely begrudgingly, and will have to take a greater one when Leia dies early in the movie (I'm guessing a space battle). She will find something in Luke's books that can stop the First Order and they will hunt for it while Poe holds them off militarily.

Not the best plotline, but it could, at least, return them to par.

#2 This would be the better option, but is far, far less likely. Instead of being about defeating the First Order, the third movie is all about temporarily conceding defeat, getting away and finding the resistance a safe haven to build up their forces (in anticipation of another movie or trilogy). Again, probably a place found in the Luke's books, Lando is needed to find it/get there for some reason, Leia dies in a space battle, Rey has to take leadership.

Hell, these may even be what SHOULD happen, at this point. I can't think of a good way out of it in a single movie.

The biggest problem with this movie is that we still feel like we are heading into Empire, when we are suppose to be heading into Jedi. The second movie did nothing to advance the plot other than fuck things up. They have two movies worth of plot to tell and only one movie to do it in.

#3 - Hutt Planet

Del Toro wasn't on that cast list was he? It would be just desserts to see him face off against Lando in a battle of scoundrels.

LiddyRules

Signed To a Non-Exclusive Consultancy
But if Rey ain’t a Skywalker and she kills Kylo, then that would be an ending to a three movie story arc for Kylo and the end of the Skywalker saga as Kennedy has said these three movies will be. The next trilogy could then focus on her journey to the dark side and possible eventual redemption.

And by dark side I mean her having sex with Finn.
They introduced Rose and her love story so that the close-enough-to-white Oscar Isaac gets to be with definitely-white Rey. Let the minorities stay among their own kind.

Del Toro wasn't on that cast list was he? It would be just desserts to see him face off against Lando in a battle of scoundrels.
Good point. I actually thought he was going to betray the First Order (in TLJ or Episode 9). But if he's not in this, his character and the entire Canto Bright storyline become even more pointless.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

They introduced Rose and her love story so that the close-enough-to-white Oscar Isaac gets to be with definitely-white Rey. Let the minorities stay among their own kind.

Good point. I actually thought he was going to betray the First Order (in TLJ or Episode 9). But if he's not in this, his character and the entire Canto Bright storyline become even more pointless.
Looking at IMDB, as of right now he is not scheduled to be in Episode IX. So maybe Abrams realized how pointless his character was in the first place and decided against bringing him back.

LiddyRules

Carrie Fisher footage. I was thinking of reasons why I dislike it and I came up with two more.

1) The assholes at every showing during the first - let's say - weekend, if not week who will applaud when she appears on screen.
2) The shitty EPK/junket comments from the cast and crew being "And when I saw Carrie* ... on screen ... for the first time ... it was like she was there with us. I knew we had done so much to honor her legacy."

* (has to be Carrie, not Leia)

And then I realized - the reason behind bringing Leia back has everything to do with the Carrie Fisher Memorial Tour. Yes, there's the "Because Nostalgia" reason, but it's actually far more cynical than that.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Carrie Fisher footage. I was thinking of reasons why I dislike it and I came up with two more.

1) The assholes at every showing during the first - let's say - weekend, if not week who will applaud when she appears on screen.
2) The shitty EPK/junket comments from the cast and crew being "And when I saw Carrie* ... on screen ... for the first time ... it was like she was there with us. I knew we had done so much to honor her legacy."

* (has to be Carrie, not Leia)

And then I realized - the reason behind bringing Leia back has everything to do with the Carrie Fisher Memorial Tour. Yes, there's the "Because Nostalgia" reason, but it's actually far more cynical than that.
I don't disagree that people clapping is annoying, but they will clap at anything and everything. I'm not sure I can really differentiate clapping at Leia vs clapping at Force Ghost Luke or whatever. I don't watch or care about that other shit.

I'm more focused on the "why" of it. I still think this scene was cut because it had quite a bit of information in it that they decided to hold back. They didn't just film it, they did the CGI for Max. I don't know how they work it in to the story. Flashback, maybe?

LiddyRules

I don't disagree that people clapping is annoying, but they will clap at anything and everything. I'm not sure I can really differentiate clapping at Leia vs clapping at Force Ghost Luke or whatever. I don't watch or care about that other shit.
I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to be pissed at something. Soooooo sorry.

I'm more focused on the "why" of it. I still think this scene was cut because it had quite a bit of information in it that they decided to hold back. They didn't just film it, they did the CGI for Max. I don't know how they work it in to the story. Flashback, maybe?

Why as in "why is she in the narrative of Episode 9" (internal to the movie), "why did Abrams et al. decide to bring her back" (external to the movie), or "why did they cut the scene with the hand?"

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Why as in "why is she in the narrative of Episode 9" (internal to the movie), "why did Abrams et al. decide to bring her back" (external to the movie), or "why did they cut the scene with the hand?"
Yes the internal narrative , no I know why they did it external to the movie (SO YOU WILL CLAP) , and maybe? I like the idea that maybe that scene was cut for a specific reason other than runtime or because they didn’t want to animate Max running around Starkiller base.

LiddyRules

Rey: "Why? Why do we continue this fight?"
Leia: "Family. It's about family. Fa-fa-fa-family. We're all the same in our struggle against the powers of evil and darkness. I hope that this day will always be a day of joy, in which we can reconfirm our dedication and our courage. And more than anything else, our love for one another. This is the promise of the Tree of Life. Nerfherder."

LiddyRules

As part of Star Wars' commitment to diversity, Lost of the Rings is joining the cast

Dominic Monaghan will be reuniting with J.J. Abrams almost a decade after working together on the ABC sci-fi drama Lost with an unspecified role in the upcoming Star Wars: Episode IX, according to Deadline.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
As part of Star Wars' commitment to diversity, Lost of the Rings is joining the cast

Dominic Monaghan will be reuniting with J.J. Abrams almost a decade after working together on the ABC sci-fi drama Lost with an unspecified role in the upcoming Star Wars: Episode IX, according to Deadline.
Ugh

Discoman

Donator

LiddyRules

That's it! The Knights of Ren are Hobbit, Doctor Who, Draco Malfoy, a Hunger Games, Quicksilver don't matter which, Arrow, Emilia Clarke as Girl Solo's daughter, and Scotty's goblin friend.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
That's it! The Knights of Ren are Hobbit, Doctor Who, Draco Malfoy, a Hunger Games, Quicksilver don't matter which, Arrow, Emilia Clarke as Girl Solo's daughter, and Scotty's goblin friend.
No one from Firefly? Sad.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Watched TLJ again, still trash, i dont believe Luke was ever on the island with Rey. He was either already dead or somewhere completely different. Hes the sith master.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LiddyRules

Watched TLJ again, still trash, i dont believe Luke was ever on the island with Rey. He was either already dead or somewhere completely different. Hes the sith master.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
But why? Nothing in the movie even hints at this. Did he fake his own death for the Porg's benefit? Milk monster's?

And what purpose would it serve? Outside of "but action figure," I don't see how a super triple twist would benefit the story.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
But why? Nothing in the movie even hints at this. Did he fake his own death for the Porg's benefit? Milk monster's?

And what purpose would it serve? Outside of "but action figure," I don't see how a super triple twist would benefit the story.
He was nothing but fan service.