Movie Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - We're Sorry, We're So So Sorry - December 20, 2019, dir. JJ Abrams

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Not only do I think we'd need him back, if this is true, I'd expect the Emperor (obviously his clone) to be back as well.
General consensus from the comments on the video is that this fixes Rey, and fixes Star Wars. Doesn’t necessarily fix all the problems with TLJ, but it does fix some of the major ones.

And yes, Lids - of course bring McDiarmid back as Palps in a flashback.

And hell yes I want Matt Smith to be playing a young clone of Palps.
As long as they don't try to shoehorn Ashy Dookie into the movie, I'm good with it.

But here is my question for everybody:

If the clone theory is true, does that make up for The Last Jedi? Because I have a funny feeling for a majority of people who hate that movie, it doesn't.
I was going to say something along the lines of "isn't this too much to do in the third movie? Isn't it kind of groveling fan service to suddenly have two Emperors just to dispatch them at the end of this movie unless Emperor Smith is being set up for the next trilogy? Etc. etc. etc."

And then it occurred to me, true as that might be, that's not the problem. The problem is everything else. Because all this stuff about Kylo and Rey and the Emperor could work if done well.

But what the fuck are all the other people supposed to do? Like what is there for Poe, Finn, and Jiminy Jillikers Leia to do? There's a reason why all the fan speculation has to do with Kylo and Rey - because TLJ did nothing to move all the other characters. Blow shit up. That's really all we have for the Resistance and the Resistance characters. For all the incredible power the First Offer has somehow (they lose half their fleet and get to the planet before the Resistance, seemingly not the worse for wear), they still don't seem like a genuine threat to the rest of the galaxy. I don't care about the First Order or the Resistance; they can annihilate themselves for all it matters because their squabble seems so petty and insular. So while we might have all this neat stuff with Kylo and Rey, we will also have another 90 minutes of "guess we better blow shit up."

Last edited:

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I was going to say something along the lines of "isn't this too much to do in the third movie? Isn't it kind of groveling fan service to suddenly have two Emperors just to dispatch them at the end of this movie unless Emperor Smith is being set up for the next trilogy? Etc. etc. etc."

And then it occurred to me, true as that might be, that's not the problem. The problem is everything else. Because all this stuff about Kylo and Rey and the Emperor could work if done well.

But what the fuck are all the other people supposed to do? Like what is there for Poe, Finn, and Jiminy Jillikers Leia supposed to do? There's a reason why all the fan speculation has to do with Kylo and Rey - because TLJ did nothing to move all the other characters. Blow shit up. That's really all we have for the Resistance and the Resistance characters. For all the incredible power the First Offer has somehow (they lose half their fleet and get to the planet before the Resistance, seemingly not the worse for wear), they still don't seem like a genuine threat to the rest of the galaxy. I don't care about the First Order or the Resistance; they can annihilate themselves for all it matters because their squabble seems so petty and insular. So while we might have all this neat stuff with Kylo and Rey, we will also have another 90 minutes of "guess we better blow shit up."
Yup.

Frankly, the Rey storyline was never really an issue, IMO. Yeah, it could have been much, much better. But it was workable.

It was everything else that was a dumpster fire and I still don't know how you fix it.

Other than killing off Rose in the opening scene, that would be a good start.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
I like the clone theories here. Cloning is very well established in the lore but has never really been used for a swerve like that. Seems like it’s ripe.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Yup.

Frankly, the Rey storyline was never really an issue, IMO. Yeah, it could have been much, much better. But it was workable.

It was everything else that was a dumpster fire and I still don't know how you fix it.

Other than killing off Rose in the opening scene, that would be a good start.
The thing is, there's nothing to fix because nothing was built in the first place. Rag tag band of rebels, giant evil force. That's all we have. So you can pretty much write whatever you want for them because the movies have done nothing with that but that. What else is there besides super weapon, blow shit up?

The only thing TFA did was get the Resistance in ANH position (even though it might have been more interesting if the First Order were the guerilla fighters). The only thing TLJ did was keep them there. And even if ESB kind of kept the Rebels in the same space, (1) the Rebel Alliance wasn't that big of a factor in ESB whereas it was like 60% of TLJ and (2) ESB grew the characters. With TLJ, everyone was separated. They abandoned the chemistry between Rey and Finn, tried to force chemistry between Poe and Rey at the end, and ... that was it.

You can honestly do anything, but because there's so much to deal with with Kylo/Rey (e.g. Knights of Ren, finding new Jedi, Rey discovering her Jedi power, Kylo being conflicted and not just not having a leader but having to be the leader), it doesn't seem like there'd be enough time to finally start that movie. So - super weapon, blow shit up.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I'm sure this will go over great.
"The first poster is called The Laser's Edge. It's a fun visual puzzle to see if people can guess what it symbolizes."
"A lightsaber?"
"... yes. Well onto my next riddle, Grey Orb of Death."

Why not call it Episode Whine? Both sides whine, so it's not pro or anti one side or the other and it plays off the actual title better.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
"The first poster is called The Laser's Edge. It's a fun visual puzzle to see if people can guess what it symbolizes."
"A lightsaber?"

Why not call it Episode Whine?
I agree. It's as bad as Dean Cain's optical illusions at the beginning of every 'Masters of Illusion' show. (reference for probably no one)

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
See @Pigdango ? We'll have HitW fodder well into 2020.
It’s bad enough I’m embarrassed to still be posting here, do they have to make me embarrassed to like Star Wars, too? What’s next, a campaign to shame me for liking Marvel?

Oh. Oh no...

"A lightsaber?"

Why not call it Episode Whine? Both sides whine, so it's not pro or anti one side or the other and it plays off the actual title better.
I wonder if that Thor Skywalker guy from YouTube has something to do with this.

There is way too much being made about what I consider #17 on the best movies of 2017 list..

Last edited:

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
It’s bad enough I’m embarrassed to still be posting here, do they have to make me embarrassed to like Star Wars, too? What’s next, a campaign to shame me for liking Marvel?

Oh. Oh no...
Is it strange that I am growing more interested in Birds of Prey than Black Widow?

Oh. Oh no...
There is something to be made of the Disney takeover and its impact, like how they stopped Family Guy from doing the prequels and made Wreck It Ralph 2 cut a Kylo Ren joke. But you know what this is about.

I wonder if that Thor Skywalker guy from YouTube has something to do with this.

There is way too much being made about what I consider #17 on the best movies of 2017.
I agree. I made a post here about why I didn't consider the "political correctness" to be a major issue in TLJ, but people are obsessed with making it all about SJW-ism.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator