Cineverse Star Wars Universe news and rumors

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Taking the Pig's advice and making a new thread for generic Star Wars news and leaving the other thread for Force Awakens.

Star Wars: Episode VIII to Film in Ireland This Month
Share.
Returning to Skellig Michael.
By Jim Vejvoda

Lucasfilm is heading back to the Emerald Isle for Star Wars: Episode VIII.

While earlier reports out of Ireland said that Star Wars: The Force Awakens was returning to the rocky island of Skellig Michael this month for further shooting, Entertainment Weekly now reports that the filming slated to take place there will actually be for Episode VIII.

However, EW did reveal "that smaller scale [Force Awakens] reshoots have happened during the summer, including during the time some of the cast was gathered in Southern California for Disney’s D23 fan expo last month."

Rumors of Star Wars returning to Skellig Michael have been circulating for months, as Making Star Wars points out. Skellig Michael was a monastic settlement between the sixth and twelfth centuries. And while we know for certain until The Force Awakens opens, persistent rumors claim the ruins of Skellig Michael double as Luke Skywalker's hideaway.

Irish environmentalist groups have expressed their concerns over the possible negative ecological impact that Lucasfilm could have on the historical site and its native wildlife.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens in December, while Episode VIII is slated to hit theaters summer 2017.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09...aign=Blogroll&abthid=55f0b410693185d96e000044

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Let's see if we can't get @BIV 's thread going. This is sure to rustle some jimmies...

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Let's see if we can't get @BIV 's thread going. This is sure to rustle some jimmies...

Fucking Lucas.....

As a side note, that song is cool. Vimeo says it's "Ludovico Einaudi - Experience"

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Return of the film crew - Star Wars filming begins on Skellig
Tuesday 15 Sep 2015

Domhnall Gleeson stars as General Hux in The Force Awakens
Filming for the next Star Wars film is beginning on Skellig Michael this morning. The island, 12 kilometers off the Kerry coast, is being used in the opening scenes of Star Wars Episode VIII.

Cast and crew members flew into Kerry Airport yesterday morning on a private jet from London.

Filming was due to get underway yesterday but it was cancelled due to high winds and rain in the area.

Skellig Michael is a UNESCO-designated World Heritage Site and a national monument. Its birdlife is protected under the Habitats Directive.

Last week permission was granted to Disney Lucasfilm to return to the island to film the opening scenes of Star Wars Episode VIII.

Since then members of the production crew have made daily trips from the mainland to make preparations.

The Department of Arts said strict environmental and ecological conditions would be put in place to ensure the filming does not have a negative impact on the site and its bird life.

Public access to the island has been closed during filming.

Episode VIII is directed by Rian Johnson and the cast is expected to include Oscar Winner, Benicio del Toro, though little else is known about the latest in the trilogy.

This is not the first time Lucasfilm has filmed on the island. Last year part of forthcoming Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens, was shot there.

It was recently revealed that actor Mark Hamill had to be rescued when he slipped on the treacherous mountainside of Skellig Michael during filming of The Force Awakens.

Hamill, who plays Luke Skywalker in the saga, would have been a “goner” if a quick-thinking guide hadn’t caught him before he fell, according to an eyewitness account.

For that full story click here.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0915/727916-return-of-the-film-crew-star-wars-filming-beg/

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
HEAVY on the rumor...

Original Star Wars Saga Possibly Returning to Theaters
AMC Theatres has erased a tweet regarding the first six films.
By Evan Campbell AMC Theatres might be prepping to screen the complete Star Wars saga before the launch of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Star Wars Junk (via /Film) has a screenshot of a deleted AMC Theatres tweet that hints at a showing of all six Star Wars movies. The now-erased Twitter message said: "Before you see The Force Awakens, see the ones that started it all! Star Wars saga!"

Not only that, but the link provided in the deleted tweet leads to an AMC error page featuring Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens takes place 30 years after The Return of the Jedi, and kicks off a new trilogy of films. The Disney and Lucasfilm movie will premiere December 18.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09...nt page)&utm_content=22&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I would buy a ticket for the marathon, show up for Episode IV, and go out to dinner during Jedi.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It's ok. it fits more with the prequels in terms of quality.
That is ridiculous. At worst, you can make complaints about the ewoks. Aside from that, the rest was great.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
That is ridiculous.
Oh yeah?

Massive changes made to the script for merchandising purposes and to market the movie to kids.

Boba Fett because Boba Fett.

Horrible, "take you out of the movie" special effects.

Recycled ideas from the previous films in the name of "poetry."

Terrible acting.

Let go of your childhood. Search your feelings, you know this to be true.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Oh yeah?

Massive changes made to the script for merchandising purposes and to market the movie to kids.

Boba Fett because Boba Fett.

Horrible, "take you out of the movie" special effects.

Recycled ideas from the previous films in the name of "poetry."

Terrible acting.

Let go of your childhood. Search your feelings, you know this to be true.
Even if that was all true, which I will NOT concede, it still wouldn't be NEAR as bad as prequels. Upgrade the effects and it's on par with the best that came out this year. I'd put it better than AoU.

Meanwhile, the prequels were Fant4asic levels of bad.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Even if that was all true, which I will NOT concede, it still wouldn't be NEAR as bad as prequels. Upgrade the effects and it's on par with the best that came out this year. I'd put it better than AoU.

Meanwhile, the prequels were Fant4asic levels of bad.
Nonsense. If Jedi came out now it would be savaged mercilessly. JJ knows. You don't see them going back to Endor, do you?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Nonsense. If Jedi came out now it would be savaged mercilessly. JJ knows. You don't see them going back to Endor, do you?
Over/under on seeing an ewok in the new movies?

And you say that, but not only is endor less than 10% of the movie, but some of the most iconic images and scenes of the trilogy come from Endor. Speeder bike chase, luke and leias talk, the ONLY time Han and leia profess their love outside of Empire.

And lets not forget that this is revisionist history. Everyone loved Endor and the ewoks when the movie came out. It was two decades before people started shitting on Jedi. Suddenly there was internet and everyone became too cool for ewoks. It wasn't until Jango (maybe the special editions) that the hate for Boba Fett started.

The only real "shit" scene in the entire movie was Han and Luke about to be served up to the midget cannibals...and that had the most outward powerful use of Luke's abilities in the trilogy.

And the story is still better than 95% of the shit that comes to theaters.

I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws, but comparing it to the prequels is just ignorant and edgy for the sake of being edgy.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Over/under on seeing an ewok in the new movies?

And you say that, but not only is endor less than 10% of the movie, but some of the most iconic images and scenes of the trilogy come from Endor. Speeder bike chase, luke and leias talk, the ONLY time Han and leia profess their love outside of Empire.

And lets not forget that this is revisionist history. Everyone loved Endor and the ewoks when the movie came out. It was two decades before people started shitting on Jedi. Suddenly there was internet and everyone became too cool for ewoks. It wasn't until Jango (maybe the special editions) that the hate for Boba Fett started.

The only real "shit" scene in the entire movie was Han and Luke about to be served up to the midget cannibals...and that had the most outward powerful use of Luke's abilities in the trilogy.

And the story is still better than 95% of the shit that comes to theaters.

I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws, but comparing it to the prequels is just ignorant and edgy for the sake of being edgy.
I don't even know where to start. This is almost as bad as Seahawks BIV.

1) 10%? Check your math. That's a ridiculous statement.
2) where else exactly were Han and Leia supposed to profess their love? Besides in Jabba's palace, of course. Why would you even say this?
3) Luke and Leia's talk should have happened before they left.
4) the speeder bike chase is fine, but an unnecessary sequence. Like the podrace. There's an interview with Gary Kurtz where he points out the mentality Lucas developed between Empire and Jedi, that the audience didn't care about story, they only wanted exciting set pieces. Thanks for proving Lucas right. You should read that interview sometime.
5) A lot of kids loved Jar Jar and Episode 1 when it came out too. "Everyone" didn't love the Ewoks. 5 year old BIV did. A lot of folks hated them, even back then.
6) lifting Threepio is the extent of Luke's super powered Jedi abilities and makes him qualified to take on Vader? I'd argue that Artoo is probably heavier. Why didn't they show him lifting an x-wing or something? Show some growth?
7)I don't know how to address the percentages, but the story is recycled from the previous two movies. So it is on the same footing as the superhero movies that come out today that recycle the same formula. Arguably it's not as good as any of them, because there's very little in the way of even mixing it up. Again, Lucas refers to this as some sort of symmetry or poetry. It's laziness.
8) I'm coming up with solid, well reasoned points and you're reacting emotionally. I'm not being edgy at all. I had my eyes opened after the prequels came out and now I look at Lucas' entire body of work and see the flaws for what they are. ALL of the problems of the prequels are evident in Jedi (and Last Crusade). If you don't see that, it's because you choose not to, and that's fine. Nostalgia is a powerful emotion that is very hard to overcome when evaluating things. Simply saying "I loved the movie as a kid and look back on it fondly" is a more effective thing to say. There are many movies I feel the same way about. Don't make you a bad person.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
@BIV here's the interview with Kurtz from 2002. It's even on IGN! It's a really long article, but a good read:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2002/11/11/an-interview-with-gary-kurtz

Here's one of the quotes I was referring to:
KURTZ: It was quite different, actually. He was very different. I think the most unfortunate thing that happened was the fact that Indiana Jones came along, and Raiders of the Lost Ark had come out in between. George and I had many, many discussions about that, but it boiled down to the fact that he became convinced that all the audience was interested in was the roller-coaster ride, and so the story and the script didn't matter anymore.
It came up in context of all the fighting Lucas and Kurtz did during the production of Empire, but after Raiders' success, there was no battling him when it came to Jedi, so he quit. Here's the specific stuff on Jedi:

KURTZ: Well a lot of the prequel ideas were very, very vague. It's really difficult to say. I can't remember much about that at all, except dealing with the Clone Wars and the formation of the Jedi Knights in the first place; that was supposed to be one of the keys of Episode I, was going to be how the Jedi Knights came to be. But all of those notes were abandoned completely. One of the reasons Jedi Came out the way it did was because the story outline of how Jedi was going to be seemed to get tossed out, and one of the reasons I was really unhappy was the fact that all of the carefully constructed story structure of characters and things that we did in Empire was going to carry over into Jedi. The resolution of that film was going to be quite bittersweet, with Han Solo being killed, and the princess having to take over as queen of what remained of her people, leaving everybody else. In effect, Luke was left on his own. None of that happened, of course.

IGNFF: So it would have been less of a fairy-tale ending?

KURTZ: Much, much less. It would have been quite sad, and poignant and upbeat at the same time, because they would have won a battle. But the idea of another attack on another Death Star wasn't there at all ... it was a rehash of Star Wars, with better visual effects. And there were no Ewoks ... it was just entirely different. It was much more adult and straightforward, the story. This idea that the roller-coaster ride was all the audience was interested in, and the story doesn't have to be very adult or interesting, seemed to come up because of what happened with Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Indiana Jones films &#Array; and the fact that that seemed to make a lot of money and it didn't matter whether there was a really good story or not &#Array; that wasn't what this kind of film was about. We had serious differences about a lot of that.

Dec 12, 2007
@BIV here's the interview with Kurtz from 2002. It's even on IGN! It's a really long article, but a good read:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2002/11/11/an-interview-with-gary-kurtz

Here's one of the quotes I was referring to:

It came up in context of all the fighting Lucas and Kurtz did during the production of Empire, but after Raiders' success, there was no battling him when it came to Jedi, so he quit. Here's the specific stuff on Jedi:
Oh god, that guys describing everything I fucking hate about most movies. Brush aside "the story and script" and focus on some half ass joy ride. Fuck you.

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
I would buy a ticket for the marathon, show up for Episode IV, and go out to dinner during Jedi.
I'll skip Episode I, but catch the other five. I'm totally down for this if they do it.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I'll believe it when I see it.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Hm. I also just noticed that he said Disney was re-releasing them. Doesn't Fox still own the rights to the existing films?

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Hm. I also just noticed that he said Disney was re-releasing them. Doesn't Fox still own the rights to the existing films?
They own the rights to all six movies until 2020, and they own the rights to Episode IV forever, according to this article:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a29846/star-wars-original-trilogy-blu-ray/

Despite that huge acquisition we all got excited about in 2012, Disney doesn't own the rights to the previous films — not yet, anyway. Fox has rights across the board until 2020 to all existing films. And after 2020, they maintain total, worldwide rights in perpetuity to the 1977 classic Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
That helps explain why the upcoming Blu Ray releases are just re-releases of the exact same versions, with the exact same special features, as the Blu Ray release before the acquisition.

Disney basically needs to call Fox on the phone and ask their permission to do anything. Those phone calls don't go so well a lot of the time because of other things going on between the two studios, mostly to do with Marvel and Fox' openly contentious relationship over the past 5 years.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Rumor: Hayden Christensen May Return as Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: Episode VIII
An epic return?
By Alex Osborn According to the latest rumor, Darth Vader could very well be making an appearance in a pair of upcoming Star Wars films.

According to Making Star Wars, not only is Darth Vader rumored to possibly be appearing in Rogue One, but in Episode VIII as well. "A team in the U.K. are soon heading to the U.S. to begin training Hayden Christensen for a Star Wars: Episode VIII appearance of some sort," the outlet has heard.

A "fully operational" chest piece for the villain as well as his iconic helmet are apparently being developed for Rogue One. As for Christensen's potential appearance in Episode VIII, speculation ranges from an Anakin-centric flashback to a full-blown resurrection of Vader.

Filming for Episode VIII is currently underway in Ireland and will reportedly feature Mark Hamill's Luke Skywalker.

If Christensen is in fact set to appear in Star Wars: Episode VIII, how do you think he'll be incorporated into the film? Be sure to sound off with your thoughts in the comments.