Cineverse Star Wars Universe news and rumors

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Fifteen years ago they wanted to make a Star Wars RPG, but didn't want to trip over old canon history and characters so they created The Knights of the Old Republic. KOTOR the fucking movie. Fuck, why not? It's not like we'll get another KOTOR again thanks to that stupid MMORPG. Hell, I was never a big Star Wars fun, but loved KOTOR. A movie in that Timeline would be great.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Only if he marries Rey. :cool:
The pawned him off on Rose. Ain't no brother taking the lily white chick. Not on my watch.

I think the "Skywalker Saga" is everything that has to do with the Empire/Rebels and the people who are directly connected to the Skywalker/Solo characters. One way to look at it is, if there were ever to be another Godfather trilogy, it would be about the next generation of the Corleone family. Not about some new crime family that no one has ever heard of before. If it was, then it should be called something else.

But here is another question for you, what makes Star Wars, Star Wars? I think that's the question that needs to be answered first before they can move beyond Empire/Rebels and figure out what the bridge is.
I guess if you want to get technical, Star Wars is (a) iconography and (b) Jedi/Sith. However, I'd say it's more Rebels/Empire. Like when I watch the original movies, I don't consider it a Jedi/Sith series, it's a Rebels/Empire series. The Prequels are Jedi/Sith. But maybe it's the Jedi/Sith that gives the series that extra oomph above the generic Oppressed Group/Oppressors storyline. But if it was just Jedi/Sith, it would be boring - as we saw in the prequels. We need the edge of the Rebels to provide characters with personality.

I guess it could also be bounty hunters/scumbags, but I don't think that's been explored enough yet to stand alone without saturating it with callbacks and visuals. So no matter what they do, at least at first, they're going to need the lightsabers and the Force and Star Destroyers and X-Wings. Maybe older models, but close enough for us to know what we're watching.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
@LiddyRules

"Skywalker saga" is the Skywalker family and the rebellion/empire plotline.

As to "what would that look like?", the Star Wars universe isn't the civil war or those characters. It's the entire mythos of the universe that has been created. You don't need Jedi/Sith to have the force, they are just two belief systems. The universe is also much bigger than just the Empire/Republic.

And just because something is happening during the same time period as these galactic conflicts, that doesn't mean the plot has to be about those conflicts. There are numerous movies that take place during WWII or Vietnam that are not about the wars and just use them as a backdrop.

Make a whole new roster of characters, use an untouched corner or time period in this universe and do something completely unrelated to anything we have seen before.

And no galactic threats/super weapons.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I’ll jump in here and say the Skywalker saga coincides with the Galactic Civil War, (Rebels v Empire) and in my opinion both should have probably ended with Return of the Jedi.

However, there are hundreds of books about both the Civil War and the Skywalker saga continuing, which was all the proof Disney needed that it could be done. Are they doing it the way I would do it? Fuck no. I would have recast the main characters and picked up shortly after Jedi, the way the better books did. The decision not to recast looks even more foolish now that they’ve recast Han Solo.

Disney has said they intend to wrap up the Skywalker saga with these 3 movies and I believe that’s true if Kylo is really the only Skywalker left standing at the moment. Actually, if he’s the only Skywalker he has to be redeemed at the end. As I’ve said, this trilogy’s mission can’t have been to rid the Star Wars universe of the Evil Skywalkers. That’s the way it’s pointed right now and look at how pissed people are. So I guess either way there’s an open door for Kylo or Rey to continue the Skywalker saga.

The best thing for them to do in the short term is let it breathe. Let Ridley and/or Driver build their careers the way Ford did and then maybe bring them back in 6 or 7 years to pick things up.

The big question I have is this: Johnson and GoT are both working on trilogies. Will those run concurrently, like Johnson 1, GoT 1, Johnson 2, GoT 2, etc or will they continue making stand alone movies and the Johnson and GoT movies will run consecutively? So we won’t get GoT movie 1 for another 8 years?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
New rumor - Colin was booted not because of Henry but because he wanted Luke Skywalker to live.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
New rumor - Colin was booted not because of Henry but because he wanted Luke Skywalker to live.
He was booted after Fisher died right? If so, he probably had a good point.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Nine months after.

She died December 2016. He was booted September 2017.

Chip Spackler

Donator
Jan 5, 2016
Wasn’t sure whether to put this here or in the Solo thread, but I started reading Aftermath: Empire’s End with Chiquito.

Excerpt from the first part of chapter two that made me laugh. It’s Solo’s first appearance in the novel, and he is immediately made to look like the stupid dad in a commercial.

Leia is very pregnant, and apparently the doctors advise eating more jogan fruit. So Han surprises Leia with an entire bag of jogan fruit. Leia is crestfallen and laments inwardly about Han:

“It’s been hard for Han. He won’t say it out loud, but she can see it on his face. Her husband needs something to do. He’s bored. Chewbacca’s back home, looking for his family. Luke’s searching the galaxy for old Jedi teachings. Han Solo’s got nothing to smuggle, nowhere to gamble, no foolish Rebellion to fight for.

He’s like the Falcon: retired to a hangar somewhere, waiting for something, anything, to happen.

So he buys fruit. Lots and lots of fruit.”

Not 30 pages in and I hate both of the original trilogy characters already...

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
If he wanted them to change the entire movie, I'd be "fuck that guy." But that was the easiest scene to remove. Normally I'd side with a decision like that, but I even posted how much it fell flat.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Wasn’t sure whether to put this here or in the Solo thread, but I started reading Aftermath: Empire’s End with Chiquito.

Excerpt from the first part of chapter two that made me laugh. It’s Solo’s first appearance in the novel, and he is immediately made to look like the stupid dad in a commercial.

Leia is very pregnant, and apparently the doctors advise eating more jogan fruit. So Han surprises Leia with an entire bag of jogan fruit. Leia is crestfallen and laments inwardly about Han:

“It’s been hard for Han. He won’t say it out loud, but she can see it on his face. Her husband needs something to do. He’s bored. Chewbacca’s back home, looking for his family. Luke’s searching the galaxy for old Jedi teachings. Han Solo’s got nothing to smuggle, nowhere to gamble, no foolish Rebellion to fight for.

He’s like the Falcon: retired to a hangar somewhere, waiting for something, anything, to happen.

Are you still teaching her English?

Chip Spackler

Donator
Jan 5, 2016
Are you still teaching her English?
I don’t get the joke.

I read with her son each night before bed. We made it through The Hobbit but he started getting bored with The Fellowship of the Ring so we went to the library to get a Star Wars novel. I wanted to read the Thrawn trilogy but he picked Empire’s End.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I don’t get the joke.

I read with her son each night before bed. We made it through The Hobbit but he started getting bored with The Fellowship of the Ring so we went to the library to get a Star Wars novel. I wanted to read the Thrawn trilogy but he picked Empire’s End.
I thought you said you started reading it with Chiquita and didn't know how two adults can read together.

Then it turned out I can't read vowels. Maybe you should read Aftermath with me! LOL! JK!

Chip Spackler

Donator
Jan 5, 2016
I thought you said you started reading it with Chiquita and didn't know how two adults can read together.

Then it turned out I can't read vowels. Maybe you should read Aftermath with me! LOL! JK!
Be ready by 8:30. And I am NOT responsible for setting your alarm or getting your water bottle, mister.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
It May 4!!! May Fouuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland

I read the first aftermath and wanted to gouge my own eyes out Wendig is a useless prick and writes like a special case

Chip Spackler

Donator
Jan 5, 2016
I read the first aftermath and wanted to gouge my own eyes out Wendig is a useless prick and writes like a special case
The book is pretty terrible. I keep hoping Chiquito will lose interest, but it’s STAR WARZZ... so I doubt it.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Really makes you think about this in a different light:

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Saying that GL might have made a bad movie doesn't suddenly make Kennedy's movies good. Granted they're a vast improvement over the dumpster fire of George's imagination, but they still have a ways to go.

That being said.....how the hell did he come up with Star Wars in the first place? Talk about capturing lightning in a bottle.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
My vote is for Disney Star Wars. Apparently Lucas couldn't find anymore inspiration from serials and Kurosawa movies.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Saying that GL might have made a bad movie doesn't suddenly make Kennedy's movies good. Granted they're a vast improvement over the dumpster fire of George's imagination, but they still have a ways to go.

That being said.....how the hell did he come up with Star Wars in the first place? Talk about capturing lightning in a bottle.
This

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Well this didn’t turn out to be the fun discussion I had hoped. Hopefully I can find some fun elsewhere.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Well this didn’t turn out to be the fun discussion I had hoped. Hopefully I can find some fun elsewhere.