OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

State Of Decay

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by Yesterdays Hero, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

It's kind of like Dawn of the Dead, meets Skyrim, with a splash of Grand Theft Auto.

Don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...

Searched for a thread on it. Didn't see one. So if there is, my balls need suckling.

Neckbeard likes this.
  2. NotSoFast

NotSoFast Registered User

I played the Xbox 360 demo this morning. It was pretty good. Graphically, you can tell it's a $20 game. It seems to play pretty well, though. It's a persistent world, even as a single player game. Your camp can be overrun while you are out of the game, for example. If you die, that character is gone and you come back controlling another member of your group of survivors. I'll be getting the full game soon.

3. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

I have it. Best 20 dollars I have ever spent.

4. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

Decidedly unhappy. My playable characters keep dying while I am not playing. Gotta get that update.

5. NotSoFast

NotSoFast Registered User

That'll teach you to stop playing.

The developers had said at one point that stuff like this was intentional. Something about it being what one might expect in a real zombie apocalypse. Some people die. Some disappear without notice, etc.

What, exactly is the update supposed to fix? I played through the demo a couple of times. I will be buying the full game in the next few days. I am liking it so far. Especially after I read up on it a bit and realized it's more of a "sim" gameplay and not a normal zombie slugfest.

6. DrewDown

DrewDown All are welcome

This game is currently 4.99 on Steam. Thinking about getting it, but would like to know more from people who've actually played. @Yesterdays Hero, did you get around to buying it?

7. Yesterdays Hero

Picking it up now. Gimme a few hours. Didn't know it was out. That alone can't be a good sign.

8. DrewDown

DrewDown All are welcome

Yeah. I watched some gameplay videos and decided I'd pass for now. It looks like something I'd get tired of after a while. Let me know what you think.

9. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Enough.With.The.Zombies.

You cant swing a dead cat without hitting a zombie game these days.

10. DR. Jimcy M.E.

First you figure out dark souls, now state of decay. Drew is a fortune teller.

DrewDown likes this.
  11. Yesterdays Hero

It's not a thread until our own resident Nihilist rolls in.

Good news though. You don't have to play it. : )

12. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

And I wont be playing it. Im just tired of "What if we put zombies in X?" nonsense. This looks like "Zombie Sims, now with more Sims!". You really cant argue that the genre is completely overused at this point.

13. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Gotta side with fletcher here. I've had enough of zombies.

14. Yesterdays Hero

I agree with you both. There are a shit ton of Zombie games out there. As are a shit ton of FPS games. And sports games that are redone with a new coat of whore paint yearly. I loathe sports games and have a passing interest in FPS. So I generally stay as far from sports game threads as I can, and duck into a FPS thread once in a blue moon.

This one though, may hold my interest given the 'Make a base and see how long you can go' type thing. Haven't seen that done yet.

Besides, who doesn't enjoy the fall of civilization.

15. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

Yeah but you hate everything so your opinion doesn't count

Yesterdays Hero likes this.
  16. DR. Jimcy M.E.

WE HEARD YOU! :action-sm

17. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

Why are you making up lies about me? There is only 1 post here

18. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Mod powers activate! Form of a post delete!

19. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

More lies

20. Yesterdays Hero

I'm a handful of hours in. It's good, given I paid $11 with both expansions (or DLC w/e the fuck).

The Good: Many an option to start with a specific type of player, once they're unlocked via playing as a random jack-of-all-trades generic character your first play through. Locations are different and random each playthrough. First game I was some chick by a small town. Next I was some shwoogie that just got back from a camping trip, and headed to the closest ranger station. There's a lot of cool shit to do that's enjoyable at the start. By hour 50 or so I'm sure it's a little tedious.

The Bad: Combat is rough. Driving a car is similar to GTA, so that's ok. I'd equate combat to a dumbed down 'Dead Island' combat style. It really tosses you in the deep end at the start. There's no 'easing you in'. It's BLAM! LOTS OF INFO ALL AT ONCE GOOD LUCK LOL! The forums for the game are far more coherent in terms of starting you off easy.

The Ugly: My comp is going on 5 years old. Even by todays standards, it's not bad, as back in the day it was a fucking beast. Graphically, SoD needs some work. I'm on max settings, and the FPS is kind of lousy. There's screen tearing, there's clipping, there's distance graphic issues. I did a car door attack while driving, hit a zombie so hard it crashed the game. Could be my PC finally dying (i hope). Could be the game. Dunno.

For $11? With a good rig to work with? It'd be fun. Plot is kind of....there. You care about the other people as it's a community you're starting. Best to keep everyone living. It's worth the steam sale if you're into sandbox games.

DrewDown likes this.