State Of Decay

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
It's kind of like Dawn of the Dead, meets Skyrim, with a splash of Grand Theft Auto.

Don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...don't suck...

Gameplay

Unlike games such as Left 4 Dead and Dead Island, State of Decay will focus more on survival, stealth, evasion, distractions, base building, survivor community, securing resources, and moving through the world than actual zombie combat. The game will be in an open world, where the player's choices are an important factor. Players will be able to choose a location to build a base in. Structures such as watch towers, gardens, sleeping quarters, kitchens, workshops, medical bays and barricades can be constructed to defend against the infected population, help survivors recover faster and build explosives and other tools. Food, water, shelter, ammo, and construction materials will be necessary for survival. To obtain these supplies, the player will need to go on raids to abandoned supermarkets and many other shops, or the player can grow food themselves. The player can also find other groups of survivors that are willing to trade their resources with the player, in exchange for ammunition. The player will be able to rescue other AI survivors to help with defense, build facilities and repair cars/guns (with the appropriate facilities). They can also be sent out to loot, find a new base location or to come pick up supplies found by the player. Once a high enough relationship is developed with them, you can also play as them. The player's choices will affect how the gameplay evolves.

Story

The player starts out as a character named Marcus. A store clerk who is an athlete and loves to hike; he is also a born leader (a very useful trait in the game). Returning from a hunting trip, he finds the world has gone to hell. As the game is a sandbox, you can choose to play the story line as much or as little as you like, or do side missions or just base build. Progressing the story line will periodically trigger world changing events which will make the world more difficult to survive in. So if you feel your base or character skills are behind you might want to hold off on doing the story line for a while. Securing clean water will also play a large part in the story line.

Weapons

The game will feature 99 different guns. There are between 30 and 40 melee weapons to be found around the world. The higher your skill with guns, the lower the chance of them jamming. Jammed guns will need to be repaired at your base. You will also have lower recoil the higher your gun skill. Gunshots will attract zombies, to combat this you can put suppressors on various weapons. Suppressors will break after a specific number of shots. You can build longer lasting suppressors as you upgrade your base facilities. Each gun has a decibel rating seen in your inventory, the higher the decibel rating the louder the gunshot. There are three classes of melee weapons featured in the game; light blunt, light edged, and heavy weapons. Each class will have advantages and disadvantages. Your performance with the weapons depends on your skill which will grow as you use that type of weapon.

NPCs

The NPCs in State of Decay will vary in skin colour and sex, they sometimes show signs of aging in the game (keep in mind they don't actually grow old) and there are no children/teenager NPCs in State of Decay. The NPCs in State of Decay can set up bases to survive which you can come across while exploring the valley and you are able to save them. Saving NPC's will add them to your community of survivors. You can assign NPC tasks in State of Decay like doing runs to collect items, or scout for a new base location. Once you increase your relationship with a survivor to a certain point, you can also play as them. You can proceed to trade with other bases for items which they excel in like food/weapons etc. The NPCs will also have needs if they are to live happily but they do not turn against you in State of Decay. They can be harmed if they are doing runs and you are alerted. You can decide whether you want to save them or not. If you do not, they may die or become lost, in which case you have to go out and find them. There are 30 NPCs in State of Decay which will spawn in a semi-random arrangement and 20 Story NPCs will always spawn in a designated location.

Buildings

During the game you will be able to enter buildings. Inside of these you will find loot and zombies. Zombies respawn, loot does not. Some buildings (designated with a fence) can be turned into a base. A base is a residence that you can upgrade but will have to defend. Only one base can be occupied at a time, they can be overrun, and relocated. A large number of customization options exist for the Base, including, but not limited to, gardens, tents for sleeping, storage areas, radio station for communication, workshop for upgrading and repairing weapons, generators for power, guard towers, and walls for defense. Any building that is not destroyed can be turned into an outpost. An outpost is a place you can sleep or store items. Zombies cannot spawn around an outpost. The number of outposts you can have is dependent on the size of your base. You can block the windows and doors of any building allowing you to sleep in it.
Development

State of Decay was first announced (officially) in 2011 as a Xbox Live Arcade exclusive title originally titled "Class 3".
Jeff Strain, the founder of ArenaNet and co-creator of World of Warcraft, wanted a game where individual players could make up their own zombie survival plans and put them to the test. Thus, he set out to create Class3 engine which will run on CryEngine 3. State of Decay is just a stepping stone towards Undead Labs' full online console game, Class4. Class4 will be one of the first massively multiplayer online games (MMOs) to come to the Xbox 360 and PC.

Searched for a thread on it. Didn't see one. So if there is, my balls need suckling.

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
I played the Xbox 360 demo this morning. It was pretty good. Graphically, you can tell it's a $20 game. It seems to play pretty well, though. It's a persistent world, even as a single player game. Your camp can be overrun while you are out of the game, for example. If you die, that character is gone and you come back controlling another member of your group of survivors. I'll be getting the full game soon.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
I have it. Best 20 dollars I have ever spent.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
Decidedly unhappy. My playable characters keep dying while I am not playing. Gotta get that update.

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
Decidedly unhappy. My playable characters keep dying while I am not playing. Gotta get that update.
That'll teach you to stop playing.

The developers had said at one point that stuff like this was intentional. Something about it being what one might expect in a real zombie apocalypse. Some people die. Some disappear without notice, etc.

What, exactly is the update supposed to fix? I played through the demo a couple of times. I will be buying the full game in the next few days. I am liking it so far. Especially after I read up on it a bit and realized it's more of a "sim" gameplay and not a normal zombie slugfest.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
This game is currently 4.99 on Steam. Thinking about getting it, but would like to know more from people who've actually played. @Yesterdays Hero, did you get around to buying it?

Yesterdays Hero

Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
This game is currently 4.99 on Steam. Thinking about getting it, but would like to know more from people who've actually played. @Yesterdays Hero, did you get around to buying it?
Picking it up now. Gimme a few hours. Didn't know it was out. That alone can't be a good sign.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Picking it up now. Gimme a few hours. Didn't know it was out. That alone can't be a good sign.
Yeah. I watched some gameplay videos and decided I'd pass for now. It looks like something I'd get tired of after a while. Let me know what you think.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Enough.With.The.Zombies.

You cant swing a dead cat without hitting a zombie game these days.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
It's not a thread until our own resident Nihilist rolls in.

Good news though. You don't have to play it. : )
And I wont be playing it. Im just tired of "What if we put zombies in X?" nonsense. This looks like "Zombie Sims, now with more Sims!". You really cant argue that the genre is completely overused at this point.

Dec 12, 2007
And I wont be playing it. Im just tired of "What if we put zombies in X?" nonsense. This looks like "Zombie Sims, now with more Sims!". You really cant argue that the genre is completely overused at this point.
Gotta side with fletcher here. I've had enough of zombies.

Yesterdays Hero

Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Gotta side with fletcher here. I've had enough of zombies.
I agree with you both. There are a shit ton of Zombie games out there. As are a shit ton of FPS games. And sports games that are redone with a new coat of whore paint yearly. I loathe sports games and have a passing interest in FPS. So I generally stay as far from sports game threads as I can, and duck into a FPS thread once in a blue moon.

This one though, may hold my interest given the 'Make a base and see how long you can go' type thing. Haven't seen that done yet.

Besides, who doesn't enjoy the fall of civilization.

Yesterdays Hero

Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
I'm a handful of hours in. It's good, given I paid $11 with both expansions (or DLC w/e the fuck).

The Good: Many an option to start with a specific type of player, once they're unlocked via playing as a random jack-of-all-trades generic character your first play through. Locations are different and random each playthrough. First game I was some chick by a small town. Next I was some shwoogie that just got back from a camping trip, and headed to the closest ranger station. There's a lot of cool shit to do that's enjoyable at the start. By hour 50 or so I'm sure it's a little tedious.

The Bad: Combat is rough. Driving a car is similar to GTA, so that's ok. I'd equate combat to a dumbed down 'Dead Island' combat style. It really tosses you in the deep end at the start. There's no 'easing you in'. It's BLAM! LOTS OF INFO ALL AT ONCE GOOD LUCK LOL! The forums for the game are far more coherent in terms of starting you off easy.

The Ugly: My comp is going on 5 years old. Even by todays standards, it's not bad, as back in the day it was a fucking beast. Graphically, SoD needs some work. I'm on max settings, and the FPS is kind of lousy. There's screen tearing, there's clipping, there's distance graphic issues. I did a car door attack while driving, hit a zombie so hard it crashed the game. Could be my PC finally dying (i hope). Could be the game. Dunno.

For $11? With a good rig to work with? It'd be fun. Plot is kind of....there. You care about the other people as it's a community you're starting. Best to keep everyone living. It's worth the steam sale if you're into sandbox games.