I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
More pictures at the website
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849284/piston-valve-steam-box-xi3

Valve and Xi3's 'Steam Box' codenamed Piston, early specs detailed at CES

By Michael McWhertor on Jan 07, 2013 at 10:35p @MikeMcWhertor
Tweet

The "Steam Box" modular computer announced by hardware maker Xi3 and Valve at CES is codenamed "Piston" and is modeled after the PC maker's X7A line of pint-sized computers, Xi3 reps tell Polygon.
Xi3 brought an early version of Piston to CES, but was tight lipped on details about the hardware currently in development with Valve. Xi3 chief marketing officer David Politis told Polygon that Piston will offer up to 1 TB of interal storage and offer modular component updates, including the option to upgrade the PC's CPU and RAM.
Xi3 wouldn't discuss price for Piston, but commented that the Steam Box is based on its "performance level" X7A offering, which is priced at $999. Xi3 declined to comment on what would differentiate Piston hardware-wise from a standard X7A.
Xi3 also offers the entry level X5A, which is priced at $499 with a Linux operating system.
The demo unit of Piston featured an IO board boasting one ethernet port, 1/8" audio in/out, SPDIF optical audio, four USB 3.0 ports, four USB 2.0 ports (with one dedicated to keyboard input), four eSATAp ports, two Mini Display Port ports and one DisplayPort/HDMI port.
Update: Valve says that Piston is one of many prototypes they're showing off at CES.
I'm starting to get excited about this. If they can get the major companies like Rockstar who make pc games second to be more of a priority, I will gladly give up console gaming.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I need to see videos of the games being played to make any sort of judgement.

1 grand is a little steep for something like that to get wide acceptance.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
I need to see videos of the games being played to make any sort of judgement.

1 grand is a little steep for something like that to get wide acceptance.
Especially seeing that you can build an i7 3770K + Radeon 7870 system for well under that.

Edit: The premium they're asking for the small form factor to me doesn't seem worth it.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Especially seeing that you can build an i7 3770K + Radeon 7870 system for well under that.

Edit: The premium they're asking for the small form factor to me doesn't seem worth it.
That was my first impression, but clearly small form factor and low power is what you are getting for your money. Googled the X7A and this was on first link:

The X7A Modular Computer targets gamers, engineers and power users with its Xi3 chassis which measures a mere 4.27” x 3.656” x 3.656”, subsisting on just 40 watts of power, while carrying a quad-core 64-bit, x86-based 32nm processor running at up to 3.2GHz underneath the hood accompanied by up to 8GB RAM, a 64GB to 1TB SSD, a trio of display ports, four eSATAp 3.0 ports, four USB 3.0 ports, four USB 2.0 ports, an 1Gb Ethernet port, and three audio ports. I know, crazy, right?
All that on 40 watts of power that seems too good to believe considering what is typical for gaming PC power supply wattage.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
That was my first impression, but clearly small form factor and low power is what you are getting for your money. Googled the X7A and this was on first link:

All that on 40 watts of power that seems too good to believe considering what is typical for gaming PC power supply wattage.
Bull-fucking-shit! There's no way that shit could could have a 40W TDP. It's quad core so there's no way it's an Atom seeing that those aren't coming out for a year. Maybe , big maybe, it's a low power AMD quad but even then you'd have to severely underclock it and that's not case here. Hell even if you did and you managed to lower TDP by at least 30W that's just the processor at 40W, ignoring all the other components. I need to know how they're doing this or if they're lying.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
so, how does it work? will you be able to play PC games on your tv?

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Bull-fucking-shit! There's no way that shit could could have a 40W TDP. It's quad core so there's no way it's an Atom seeing that those aren't coming out for a year. Maybe , big maybe, it's a low power AMD quad but even then you'd have to severely underclock it and that's not case here. Hell even if you did and you managed to lower TDP by at least 30W that's just the processor at 40W, ignoring all the other components. I need to know how they're doing this or if they're lying.
Thats my thought, obviously everybody is working to make CPU/GPU use less power, which will lead to greater power but come on, its like they leaped forward a few generations.

so, how does it work? will you be able to play PC games on your tv?
Pretty much all levels of computers now come with HDMI out so yes.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Idk why people give a shit about low powered PC's pump that fucking thing with juice for some pretty visuals.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
Idk why people give a shit about low powered PC's pump that fucking thing with juice for some pretty visuals.
Amen.
All I've ever wanted was a gasoline powered PC. I'd keep Intel and NVidia's greediest units well fed and my cooling system would literally fuck up the local weather. I can dream. . .

SallieTomato

Here'sh The Thing
Jul 25, 2012
SOL.3
And ta think, vALVE denyed this up & down when it was bought up a few months ago.

Hmmm, veddy interrrestink ....

I guess this will be used to showcase the unicorn of gaming "Half-Life 3".

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Relax, these are just prototypes. And this is the first revealed. Valve has yet to show the steambox they are releasing.