Stephen Colbert allowed to form Super-PAC

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Stephen Colbert allowed to form Super-PAC

Satirist Stephen Colbert speaks in front of a massive puppet of himself during the Washington DC rally held in November 2010 Stephen Colbert, the comedic host of "The Colbert Report," was granted permission Thursday to not only form a political action committee but the privilege of promoting it on his show.

The only restriction the Federal Election Commission laid out in its 5-1 ruling was that Colbert could not promote Colbert Super-PAC on any other shows on Comedy Central, the most likely being "The Daily Show," which precedes his 30-minute satirical program.

If any promotion of the PAC does take place outside of "The Report" on Comedy Central or programs aired on Viacom -- its parent company -- it will be considered a political campaign contribution.

Colbert's on-air persona is one of a well-dressed, overly patriotic conservative faintly reminiscent of Fox News' Bill O'Reilly, whom Colbert refers to adoringly as "Papa Bear." That persona was in full bloom after the FEC allowed Colbert to have his PAC.

“There will be others who say, Stephen Colbert, what will you do with the unrestricted Super-PAC money?” Colbert told reporters. “To which I say, 'I don’t know. Give it to me and let’s find out.'”

Later, to a cheering crowd the comic actor addressed the elephant in the room: Was this too satirical?

"Some have cynically asked if this is some kind of joke,” he said. “But I don’t think that participating in democracy is a joke. I don’t think that wanting to know what the rules are is a joke.”

On Wednesday Colbert opened his show by saying, "Change is coming, and I hope a lot of large bills too."

Thanks to the feds, change, bills, checks, money orders and all sorts of politically earmarked dollars will soon be headed Colbert's way.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/was...orm-super-pac-and-promote-it-on-his-show.html
Be donatin' people!!!
http://www.colbertsuperpac.com/
:icon_mrgr

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Yes that is what we need another pac. I can only imagine the amount of funds he will get, maybe I should tell people the money will be better used if sent to me

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Oh God. The melodramatic faux-outrage and high horsery are going to be monumental.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
I find Colbert amusing at times but I don't watch his show. Can someone explain what the endgame is here?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I find Colbert amusing at times but I don't watch his show. Can someone explain what the endgame is here?
Some kind of commentary on campaign finance. According to some people only labor unions and Nazi collaborators should be allowed to give unlimited funds to political parties and candidates.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
Lol, that's actually kind of funny.

At least Colbert is up front about being an entertainer and you know he's being rediculous. That's a lot better than loud mouth wanna be journalists force feeding people their opinion each day like they're some sort of authority on anything.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Son of a bitch!

Some kind of commentary on campaign finance. According to some people only labor unions and Nazi collaborators should be allowed to give unlimited funds to political parties and candidates.
Well those people are dumb, labor unions shouldn't be allowed to give unlimited funds.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
17 minutes before someone used "faux". You people are slipping.
For the record, I don't use faux in terms of Fox (i.e. I've never and will never use the term Faux News). I use faux in its proper way.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
For the record, I don't use faux in terms of Fox (i.e. I've never and will never use the term Faux News). I use faux in its proper way.
He probably pronounces it 'fawk'