Stephen Colbert to run for.... PRES-O-DANT!

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Holy fuck... this might get interesting.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hFzxF7XLwi7Il2DVEE6la0NVo--gD8SAOEEG1

NEW YORK (AP) — Stephen Colbert announced his candidacy for president on "The Colbert Report" on Tuesday night, tossing his satirical hat into the ring of an already crowded race.

"I shall seek the office of the President of the United States," announced Colbert on his Comedy Central show, as balloons fell around him.

Colbert had recently satirized the coyness of would-be presidential candidates by refusing to disclose whether he would seek the country's highest office — a refusal that often came without any prompting.

His recent best-seller, "I Am American (And So Can You!)" afforded him the opportunity to mock the now-standard approach to a White House run, complete with a high-profile book tour.

The Comedy Central host has often mobilized his fans ("Colbert Nation"), encouraging them to vote to have a Hungarian bridge named after him, for example, or to vandalize Wikipedia.com with his version of "truthiness" and "wikiality."

How far the mock conservative pundit planned to stretch his impression of a presidential candidate wasn't clear. Colbert rarely breaks character on camera, including at his memorable speech at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner last year.

Colbert planned to get his name on the primary ballot in South Carolina, where the comedian is originally from. Earlier this week, South Carolina public television station ETV invited Colbert to announce his candidacy on its air.

When recently asked what party affiliation he would adopt if he tossed his hat in the ring, Colbert replied: "Both. I can lose twice."

In a guest column for Maureen Dowd in Sunday's New York Times, Colbert wrote: "I am not ready to announce yet — even though it's clear that the voters are desperate for a white, male, middle-aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative."

tscho123

long time listener first time poster
Oct 17, 2005
nj
i rather vote for him then the other people in this race

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
Oct 1, 2006
I'll vote of him.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Eh, he's got no political experience.

But a Paul/Colbert ticket would be cool.

Funny how President is a problem with me, but Vice President I've got no issue with.

I'm an ass.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I'd really rather vote for him the rest of the jackasses currently running.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Maybe he can convince Jon Stewart to be his Vice-President?

Either way Colbert has my vote - I'll even add him as a write-in :D

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
I want a president who does a tv show while in office.

ratedRsuperstar

...when McCainia runs wild on you!!!!
a state of the union address in the "tip of the hat, wag of the finger" format
>
"ask not what your country...",
"mr. gorbechev...",
or "...a day which will live in infamy..."

if he goes through with it, past the SC primaries, and actually ends up on the ballot as an indie, green, whig whatever, i'm voting for him
pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>[/MEDIA]

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Aren't those called televised press conferences?
Something like that, only every weeknight at a regularly schedualed time.

I just want him in office so that we focus our military on the biggest threat to our nation:

BEARS!

UCFGavin

Feb 25, 2006
the actual amount of press this is getting is ridiculous.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
it could all be a calculated move/'scam' of sorts in order to circumvent the "equal time" rule and draw opposing candidates as guests on his show and network.

MJ001

Apr 24, 2007
Detroit
it could all be a calculated move/'scam' of sorts in order to circumvent the "equal time" rule and draw opposing candidates as guests on his show and network.
....or it could be a comic/talk show host who wants to take on the ultimate form of political satire by actaully "becoming a candidate" while boosting his ratings...

....or it could have something to do with him having a book out and wanting to boost sales...

....or he could just be bored and why the fuck not run for president if someone's willing to pay your way. I'd do it just to be able to fuck with some of the candidates virtually consequence free.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
On the news they said that he is only running in one state. you can't win by doing that.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
every presidential candidate can now demand equal time on comedy central.

they will never let him into the debates.

guitargod2112

Feb 15, 2006
I don't agree with a lot of what he would do. But I'd vote for him just because he's smarter than any other candidate.