Stephen King Appreciation

cigarsandscotch

Smoke and drink up.
Jan 13, 2005
Middletown NJ

If I had to recommend a Stephen King to start with, I would say "Needful Things. " It's brilliant and gives you a real feel for his style of writting and character development.
Thanks guys...I thinK I'm gonna start with

It and The Stand then

Salem's lot
Fine, you do that. After you're done reading those two books you can go fuck yourself! I'll never add my 2 cents to one of your threads ever again. :mad4:

turdfrgsn

it's a funny name
Mar 7, 2005
North Beach, MD
just to reiterate what's been said--the stand is a must
as is "it"

the book christine blows the movie away and is a great read, particularly opening each chapter w/songs about cars, love and death

i read salem's lot in 5th grade and had to sleep w/the light on for months--and the original made for tv movie w/james mason, david soul, bonnie bedelia, fred willard and that kid from "james at 15" freaked me out really bad, too
first time i ever saw a vampire grab the crucifix out of the priest's hands and flick it across the room before devouring him--see, it's not asposed ta work like dat, so it made me really ascairt

ladies--check out "gerald's game", my mother couldn't finish it and i personally thought the way he put himself in the female point of view through that entire ordeal was nothing short of genius, be warned tho, it's totally psychotic, more mental horror than monsters, but very well done

his collaboration w/peter straub "the talisman" is also worth checking out

the book "tommyknockers" was way better than the awful made for tv movie

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I bought "Thinner" by Richard Bachman in hardcover,at a yard sale for $.50. Think it's really only worth $15 in excellent condition but to me it's a treasure. Not exactly a surprise so many of us are King fans. I agree with the recommendations here.
Stephen King's writings are in my opinion the best examples of how Hollywood can turn gold into pure shit.Never seen a good King movie. Worst fucking example ever? Lawnmower Man. Near as I could tell,the fucking title was the same,everything else was completely different.Like taking a steaming pile of shit and calling it a Kobe beef.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
Survivor Type is great.

Look for "The Long Walk" also. One of my favorites.
Because of Jimmy, I bought that book last night (the long walk). so far it is fantastic. I just saw The Mist last night. Stephen King is brutal.

wetandstickyjim

Drop dead retard!
May 25, 2005
Congers, NY
Yeah, but to be fair, Traci Lords was in the movie....so it's got that.
Christ on a pony, I forgot about that one.

The one theme I see in this thar thread is character development.You care about these people he writes about. Pretty scary stuff too.

Oh yeah, whoever started this thread.

Go STAND 1st

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
Im almost done with the crazy long chapter 3 of it...The character development so far is insane....its very long but I really like it...The first 2 chapters were sick....Pennywise killing that gay guy....holy crap..I felt kind of uneasy just now going to the bathroom lol....

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
'You're . . . not . . . real,' Eddie choked, but clouds of grayness were closing in now, and he realized faintly that it was real enough, this Creature. It was, after all, killing him.
And yet some rationality remained, even until the end: as the Creature hooked its claws into the soft meat of his neck, as his carotid artery let go in a warm and painless gout that splashed the thing's reptilian plating, Eddie's hands groped at the Creature's back, feeling for a zipper. They fell away only when the Creature tore his head from his shoulders with a low satisfied grunt.
And as Eddie's picture of what It was began to fade, It began promptly to
change into something else.

Still one of the best part of "IT"

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
Fine, you do that. After you're done reading those two books you can go fuck yourself! I'll never add my 2 cents to one of your threads ever again. :mad4:
Dude calm down.....I didn't say I'd read every book everyone said...also its not a thread about me..its for everyone to talk about there fav king book...shutup :icon_neut

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
I LOVE Stephen King! I've read almost all of his books. He's my favorite author and one of the best of our time. And, FYI, if anyone needs to know if they want to read it before they see the movie, the novella "The Mist" is in a collection of King short stories called: "Skeleton Crew". Also, the best King, IMO, is as follows:

-It
-The Stand
-ANY short stories collection
-The Long Walk
-Desperation
^^^ All are amazing reads!

livebackwards

Proud Patron of Ted's Conglomerated Gasmaskery
Jan 29, 2006
Houston, TX
Jimmy was talking about his short stories a week or two before Frank Drabont stopped by, and he referenced a short story where a pedophile abducts a small child who keeps telling him "You better put me back, my grandpa's not gonna be happy" and then grandpa shows up...

It's called "Popsy", it's in Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Read it again last night, hilarious, just-desserts type story. Brilliant.

Started reading "It" for the first time since I had to quit halfway through as a 13-year-old. 80 pages in. Good shit so far.

WhiteHonkyDevil

Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Jimmy was talking about his short stories a week or two before Frank Drabont stopped by, and he referenced a short story where a pedophile abducts a small child who keeps telling him "You better put me back, my grandpa's not gonna be happy" and then grandpa shows up...

It's called "Popsy", it's in Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Read it again last night, hilarious, just-desserts type story. Brilliant.
It's also stated (in the notes part) that it ties nicely into The Night Flier, which is in Nightmares and Dreamscapes. THAT ties into The Dead Zone.

Stupid tie-ins...though, in these cases they work....as opposed to some of the half-assed tie-ins (ie Cujo - The Sun Dog, Insomnia - The Dark Tower series)

Got One?

.....and she was a stewardess.
Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
went and bought my 1st SK book, It, today. couple hours into and so far so good.

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
Ya know what thing about IT that bothers me is it takes King like so long to get the main clonflict going....its like ben is about to get beat up but the bullies after he come sout of the library....but he decides for 10 pages to explain how the town is layed out....then oh wait lets get back to the point of this section...ben getting beat up ...blabh lbah blah ..by this point im so bored with what king is doing with the surroundings....good book but I feel king gets so into detail he forgets about whats really supposed to be explained for a lil bit.

WhiteHonkyDevil

Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
Ya know what thing about IT that bothers me is it takes King like so long to get the main clonflict going....its like ben is about to get beat up but the bullies after he come sout of the library....but he decides for 10 pages to explain how the town is layed out....then oh wait lets get back to the point of this section...ben getting beat up ...blabh lbah blah ..by this point im so bored with what king is doing with the surroundings....good book but I feel king gets so into detail he forgets about whats really supposed to be explained for a lil bit.
While I definitely understand where you're coming from.....with a book that has so much shit, and so many subplots going at the same time, that kind of thing is important.

Like with Needful Things...there are, what...at least 10 main characters....you need a lot of info to make sense of it. Shit, in IT the group of protagonists was 7. There's a lot of things to cover, and if you think about it, putting all the background info, town layout, etc. in succession, it'd bore the fuck out of anyone.

I think that's why I hate "Carrie", he tries to lay it out in and interesting way, but there's not enough going on to warrant the constant flashbacks, articles, and witness' recollections.

CringeRadioWanted

I got nothin'....
Aug 23, 2003
not sure if you guys have read his collaboration with peter straub but, The Talisman and its sequel Black House are great reads
Absolutely....the Talisman is phenomenal, and Black House was brilliant. Straub is really, really underrated and under appreciated. Fantastic, imaginative stuff.

As a kid, I read almost anything that you would put in front of me...I discovered SK at a very early age (maybe 12-13). I read The Stand, and it hooked me more than any book I read in my life. (Only other book that got me like that was the first one by Terry Goodkind...but that's another thread.)
I fucking devoured that thing, and was dying for more.

Almost the same thing happened with IT. I have read those books more, perhaps, than any other books I have ever owned. Mesmerizing characters...and few other authors take the time to help people fully identify with characters, and make them care about them like in those two novels.

The Dark Tower series, at least books 1-4, were some of the best writing I had ever read. Wizard and Glass (book 4) affected me in a way that no other book ever had to that point. The climax of the book...with the burning... physically shook me, to the point that I needed to call my girlfriend (at the time...worthless fucking cunt that she is) to make sure she was still okay...at 3 AM. Really fucked me up in a visceral way.

Dark Tower Books 5-7....ehh. I think that accident really cost him something.

WhiteHonkyDevil

Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
The Dark Tower series, at least books 1-4, were some of the best writing I had ever read. Wizard and Glass (book 4) affected me in a way that no other book ever had to that point. The climax of the book...with the burning... physically shook me, to the point that I needed to call my girlfriend (at the time...worthless fucking cunt that she is) to make sure she was still okay...at 3 AM. Really fucked me up in a visceral way.

Dark Tower Books 5-7....ehh. I think that accident really cost him something.
Yes. That part really got to me, and I made a similar phone call, though it wasn't at 3am.

Anyhow, 5 started dragging, but I liked the inclusion of Father Callahan, so I read through it....turned out to be a decent enough book. 6 was boring, and 7 was so all over the place, I started wondering why I was even reading it.

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
While I definitely understand where you're coming from.....with a book that has so much shit, and so many subplots going at the same time, that kind of thing is important.

Like with Needful Things...there are, what...at least 10 main characters....you need a lot of info to make sense of it. Shit, in IT the group of protagonists was 7. There's a lot of things to cover, and if you think about it, putting all the background info, town layout, etc. in succession, it'd bore the fuck out of anyone.

I think that's why I hate "Carrie", he tries to lay it out in and interesting way, but there's not enough going on to warrant the constant flashbacks, articles, and witness' recollections.

Oh I love it....And I agree 100% with what you said...but I do get zoned out sometimes..and don't care whats going on....Untill like It shows up again lol...Like the whole ben story was good but it got kind of long and i skimmed through it..but when He goe sinto detail about It harassing ben near the ice rink It freaked me out.

He went into long detail about all 7 characters in the 3rd chapter while a little long at the time..I now look back and Feel I know every character so well...which really makes the flashbacks interesting.