I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Brian K. Vaughan is an executive producer on new Stephen King series

By Mark Dawidziak, The Plain Dealer
on January 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM, updated January 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Print

Email

Brian K. Vaughan, who grew up in Rocky River and Westlake, wrote the TV adaptation of Stephen King's "Under the Dome."
Brian K. Vaughan, who grew up in Rocky River and Westlake, is one of the principal writers and executive producers on "Under the Dome,'' a 13-episode summer series based on Stephen King's novel. Produced by Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment, the CBS drama will premiere at 10 p.m. Monday, June 24, on WOIO Channel 19.

"Under the Dome" was one of four series CBS announced for its summer lineup. The network also will field: a second season of Poppy Montgomery's "Unforgettable" (starting 9 p.m. Sunday, July 28); a new reality series, "The Great British Bake Off" (premiering at 8 p.m. Wednesday, May 29); and an expanded season of "Big Brother" (airing three nights weekly and launching at 9 p.m. Wednesday, June 26).

"Under the Dome" is King's story of a small town that is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town's inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from and if and when it will go away.

The six "Under the Dome" executive producers are King, Vaughan, Neal Baer, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank and Stacey Snider. Vaughan, who penned several episodes of ABC's "Lost," wrote the adaptation. Niels Arden Oplev will direct the first episode.

The only cast member yet announced for "Under the Dome" is Colin Ford ("We Bought a Zoo").

A St. Ignatius High School graduate, class of '94, Vaughan headed for New York University to study film. He got sidetracked by comic books. While an undergraduate at NYU, he signed up for Marvel Comics' Stan-hattan Project. Named for Marvel master Stan Lee, it was a class for aspiring comic book writers.

Notching his first comic book credit in 1997, Vaughan soon became one of the busiest writers in the business. He wrote scripts for some of the highest-profile characters at Marvel (X-Men, Spider-Man, Captain America), DC (Batman, Green Lantern) and Dark Horse (Buffy the Vampire Slayer). He gained even greater satisfaction from the comic book series he created, including "Y: The Last Man" and "Ex Machina."

Damon Lindelof, the co-creator and executive producer of "Lost," was a major fan of "Y: The Last Man," a 60-issue series about a young escape artist who is the only man to survive a plague that wiped out every male mammal on Earth. About six years ago, he recruited Vaughan to work for television and "Lost."
http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/in...tive_producer_on_new_stephen_king_series.html

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Stephen King ripped off the Simpsons movie?
Anyone read it? Its been a long time since I read a King book, I think Needful Things was the last.
If its any good I might give this one a try.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Stephen King ripped off the Simpsons movie?
Anyone read it? Its been a long time since I read a King book, I think Needful Things was the last.
If its any good I might give this one a try.
I did, I wasnt thrilled with it. Pretty standard King fare, I can see how it can be stretched out into an extended series but its going to come off pretty bland IMO.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
Really? Salem's Lot still ranks in my top 10 scary movies...
"It" is one of mine.

Needful things didn't come off on screen well at all.

Just finished the 8 book deal tower series.. Like it a lot.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
I did, I wasnt thrilled with it. Pretty standard King fare, I can see how it can be stretched out into an extended series but its going to come off pretty bland IMO.
Is the dome supernatural, or did he go the alien route like Tommyknockers?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Well I wasnt going to spoil it or anything.

Side note, I just bought the Wind through the Keyhole for ~$15 and with the free 2 day shipping from the free Amazon Prime trial (Thanks, new kindle) Ill have it by Thursday. Might actually pay the $80 a year for that service.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
meh, the book sucked balls anyway.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Well I wasnt going to spoil it or anything.

Side note, I just bought the Wind through the Keyhole for ~$15 and with the free 2 day shipping from the free Amazon Prime trial (Thanks, new kindle) Ill have it by Thursday. Might actually pay the $80 a year for that service.
It's worth it. I let my service lapse because I'm saving money for an inevitable move. I recently bought something from Amazon, and the wait for the free Super Saver shipping is pretty bad.

Also it comes with streaming of a bunch of free movies/TV shows from their instant video service.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
I don't think a quick bullet point plot synopsis spoils a King book, at least not the older ones I've read.
I never really liked his alien based stories as much, Tommyknockers was ok, and I thought a much better beginning than ending.

The other one about the aliens that lived in peoples assholes was a bit of a low point..

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It's worth it. I let my service lapse because I'm saving money for an inevitable move. I recently bought something from Amazon, and the wait for the free Super Saver shipping is pretty bad.

Also it comes with streaming of a bunch of free movies/TV shows from their instant video service.
I love my Prime sub. It's saved me so much fucking money that it's more than paid for itself.

Dec 2, 2005
Missouri Valley, Ia
I also like the prime sub . I buy 2-5 books a month and I hate waiting for shit to get here. I always pick next day delivery for $3.99 or whatever it is.

Under the dome was a long read. Kind of ok. Sorta good. Should make a great series.