Movie Steven Speilberg's Ready Player One!!! 3^30^2018

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
please be true please be true

@NeonTaster

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=111998

Interstellar is still in theaters but we're already looking forward to the director's next project. And according to JoBlo via The Tracking Board, Nolan's next project could very well be the live-action adaptation of Ernest Cline's novel, Ready Player One. To be precise, The Tracking Board says that Warner Bros. has given Nolan an offer to direct the feature, meaning it's entirely up to Nolan whether he boards the project or not. Currently, screenwriter Zak Penn (Avengers, X2: X-Men United) just finished the latest draft of the adaptation and the production is said to be currently working on securing the various licenses to keep the adaptation true to the source material (the book references several classic video games, Voltron, The Never Ending story, pretty much everything popular about the '80s). Check out the official synopsis for Ready Player One below-----

SYNOPSIS: In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
!!!!!!

I still think it's unfilmable. It would take a miracle for this to be both good and faithful.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I don't even know if there was already A thread for this. I almost texted you I was so geeked up.

Nolan would mean it gets a 3 hour runtime, and also the budget to get at least some of the required licenses.

Last edited:

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
This could be fucking awesome.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I don't even know if there was already A thread for this. I almost texted you I was so geeked up.

Nolan would mean it gets a 3 hour runtime, and also the budget to get at least some of the required licenses.
Somehow I get the feeling that they will strip it of most intellectual property unless it's under the same corporate umbrella as whoever's making it. I guess that could work if it remains cool. Some parts would be sorta protracted and not very cool in a live-action film like

The War Games scene.

It sounds awesome on paper, but I doubt they could make it actually work in a movie. That can easily be replaced or skipped entirely.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
how can they legally fit in all the pop culture references that where in the book?

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I just want to see him beat Acererak in the Tomb of Horrors

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
That final battle could be one of the most awesome things put to film. Though I'm sure it'll be impossible to get the rights to a certain giant metal lizard.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I think he's a really strange choice for this. He doesn't have the childlike enthusiasm that I think is really required to really pull off this movie. More than any of the intellectual property rights, I think you need a fanboyishness to really get to the heart of the book, and I never got that vibe for Nols.

But, like I said, I think the best person that could possibly direct it would be Robert Zemecks.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This could be really awesome or suck horribly.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I think he's a really strange choice for this. He doesn't have the childlike enthusiasm that I think is really required to really pull off this movie. More than any of the intellectual property rights, I think you need a fanboyishness to really get to the heart of the book, and I never got that vibe for Nols.

But, like I said, I think the best person that could possibly direct it would be Robert Zemecks.
I know what you say about his childlike enthusiasm. I agree that his serious style is the public perception of Nolan, but I wonder if he's more like the rest of us than it seems. I only have this one antidote, but it kind of fits, I may have even posted this before because I found it so absurd. When The Master was only playing in New York and LA, I went to go see it on a week night with a friend of mine. We got out tickets and noticed Christopher Nolan was a couple people in front of us. We were geeking out like "holy shit, we're seeing The Master with Christopher Nolan" what else could he be there to see?

We all go get snacks at the concession stand and head towards The Master and watched as he went in to go see the new Resident Evil movie. Like who the fuck even saw that movie in the theater other than geeky fanboys?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
You just sold me even more.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

I agree, you have to be a fanboy/nerd to really "get" the source material, let alone direct a film based on it.

I don't know, he may shock us.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004

What happened to the Liddy that once said Batman Begins was one of the funniest Comic Book Movies? That Liddy was best Liddy. Close minded Liddy not as good.

And Nolan broke an entire movie just to have Bane break Batman's back. That's one of the most fan boyish things I've ever seen done. He's an exceptional choice, but you'd rather have the director of Beowulf. Ok.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I know what you say about his childlike enthusiasm. I agree that his serious style is the public perception of Nolan, but I wonder if he's more like the rest of us than it seems. I only have this one antidote, but it kind of fits, I may have even posted this before because I found it so absurd. When The Master was only playing in New York and LA, I went to go see it on a week night with a friend of mine. We got out tickets and noticed Christopher Nolan was a couple people in front of us. We were geeking out like "holy shit, we're seeing The Master with Christopher Nolan" what else could he be there to see?

We all go get snacks at the concession stand and head towards The Master and watched as he went in to go see the new Resident Evil movie. Like who the fuck even saw that movie in the theater other than geeky fanboys?
This guy gets it. Nolan is an uber geek.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
That final battle could be one of the most awesome things put to film. Though I'm sure it'll be impossible to get the rights to a certain giant metal lizard.
they already have the rights.:cool:

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
For those wondering about rights, keep in mind there's an enormous financial benefit to tying in with a major event movie like this.

And WB has more rights than you think, including D&D.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Dammit, now I'm out. Make up your minds!
I don't understand you. Why would you want someone who doesn't relate to the source material directing?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Holy shit, I just realized I'm going to be involved in one of these big movie threads from the start. How many fights are we expecting? I'll set the over/under at 100.