Movie Steven Speilberg's Ready Player One!!! 3^30^2018

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Finished 372 Pages I'll Never Get Back. Now I have to get Armada.
It's a podcast ripping RP1? I don't have an issue with that but I feel like all effort should be aimed toward Armada. Would you stop and see a tiny crack in the road on your way to Grand Canyon?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
It's a podcast ripping RP1? I don't have an issue with that but I feel like all effort should be aimed toward Armada. Would you stop and see a tiny crack in the road on your way to Grand Canyon?
They do both. Season 1 is RPO and Season 2 is Armada. Oh and it's a podcast by Mike Nelson and some other guy.

DiggerNick

Donator
Just saw it and thought it was fucking phenomenal.

I especially liked that the Jap kid's avatar was Toshiro Mifune in THRONE OF BLOOD. Also, Mendo's avatar looks alarmingly like Til Lindemann from Rammstein.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Piggy likes it too. Which also doesn't clear much up.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Piggy likes it too. Which also doesn't clear much up.
I liked...you know, some of it. One thing I realized while watching it was how little I remember about the book. So it’s hard for me to say if some of the things I didn’t like were because they were changes from the book, or because they exposed things from the book I never should have liked in the first place.

It felt...very different from the book. There is streamlining that has to be done when translating any book to a movie, but it felt like certain things were really breezed through while others were painfully drawn out.

The most positive thing I can say about it also becomes the most negative in a way: Spielberg handled the references perfectly. Many - even most of them are “blink and you’ll miss them” Easter eggs. The movie does not focus on or dwell on pop culture references. Instead it focus on the story and on the characters. The problem is - without the references there’s just not a lot there.

You will adore the girl that plays Aech. Her acting is tremendous.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I liked...you know, some of it. One thing I realized while watching it was how little I remember about the book. So it’s hard for me to say if some of the things I didn’t like were because they were changes from the book, or because they exposed things from the book I never should have liked in the first place.

It felt...very different from the book. There is streamlining that has to be done when translating any book to a movie, but it felt like certain things were really breezed through while others were painfully drawn out.

The most positive thing I can say about it also becomes the most negative in a way: Spielberg handled the references perfectly. Many - even most of them are “blink and you’ll miss them” Easter eggs. The movie does not focus on or dwell on pop culture references. Instead it focus on the story and on the characters. The problem is - without the references there’s just not a lot there.

You will adore the girl that plays Aech. Her acting is tremendous.
Sounds about right. Can't wait for the bad acting. That will take me out of a movie faster than a cool avatar pulls diggernick in.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I especially liked that the Jap kid's avatar was Toshiro Mifune in THRONE OF BLOOD. Also, Mendo's avatar looks alarmingly like Til Lindemann from Rammstein.
What else did you enjoy? Good story?

Pigdango

Donator
Sounds about right. Can't wait for the bad acting. That will take me out of a movie faster than a cool avatar pulls diggernick in.
You will likely rip your shirt off during the scene where Aech and Wade first meet in real life.

Some of the acting isn’t terrible. Sheridan was ok. Cooke was ok, or maybe she was attractive enough for me not to care. Rylance was great. Pegg the opposite of great. My favorite was Mendohlson struggling for the entire movie with his accent and how to play the role. He looked hopelessly lost during some scenes.

Pigdango

Donator
I need to perfectly time a piss break.
I must have shifted noticeably in my seat, because my wife looked at me with the panicked look of someone who was going to have to listen to me complain the whole way home.

I will say the movie righted itself somewhat after that, but then unrighted itself.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I must have shifted noticeably in my seat, because my wife looked at me with the panicked look of someone who was going to have to listen to me complain the whole way home.

I will say the movie righted itself somewhat after that, but then unrighted itself.
Poor Mrs. P.

Could be worse, she could be digger's wife.

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
Saw it. I didn’t hate it. They trimmed a lot of fat from the book, reworked a lot of shit, and made it semi-watchable. I can get into it later, but overall, it just proves that Cline needs a god damned decent editor.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
Just saw it and thought it was fucking phenomenal.

And there was a fucking Back to The Future car and the fucking Iron Giant and like fucking Pac Man and it just fucking needed like Optimus Prime and Megatron or some shit.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy

Let me ask you - should I bother or would I just be annoyed?

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
OK, here we go.

The changes:

The three trials are very streamlined. Race first (With a different way it's answered). Movie reenactment second (But it really wasn't a movie reenactment... It was just them entering the film The Shining, which was cute, and made more sense to the plot and how Halliday wanted his heir to be who he wasn't). I enjoyed that, because it was a reference that led somewhere. And the third challenge they just go with finding the Adventure video game Easter Egg.

We meet up with Port Wine Stain IRL in Act 2 and the rest of the team in the beginning of Act 3. Aech plays a tech ogre in the OASIS, and in real life she's a younger version of Leslie Jones. They never reference her sexuality, or that she became a white guy in the OASIS so that she could experience white privilege. The two Japanese brothers don't even die. They survive the movie, which I guess makes sense. Sorrento already established he was a bad guy when he had the stacks where Wade lives explode.

Everything takes place in Columbus, OH. They don't travel from Oklahoma City to Columbus. Hell, Ogden doesn't even really help them until you realize he was hiding in the OASIS as a record keeper. And they never go to Portland, and they never find new suits.

Wade doesn't even bulk up in the middle of the book and become a physical specimen now. They actually give the break-in at IOI and dealing with everything in their headquarters to Art3mis, which doesn't make her a damsel in distress/prize for Wade anymore. They give her shit to do.

In fact, Wade feels like a flawed protagonist. He isn't made out to be the best at everything. Yeah, they list off Halliday 80s fun facts like fucking spastics, but that shit is pretty well contained. The references aren't overt. Yes, a lot of Warner Brothers IPs and characters (I found a bunch of characters from Arkham Knight in there), but rarely did I groan because a reference was put in there. It was lovely color to the world rather than "HEY LET'S DWELL ON THIS!" Although there was a spastic in my crowd who laughed at a blatant reference that made me want to throat punch him.

The ending is changed somewhat. It's made more exciting by adding a chase element to the proceedings. That being said, the ending was pretty cheesy, and I laughed hard when the bad guys were in the back of the police car. What was this, a cartoon?

They still introduce the big red button that deletes the OASIS... And I still don't know why you'd focus on that. At least Spielberg added some uncertainty because Halliday's avatar was telling him about the big red button while they were in a chase, so he might have mistakenly hit it.

i-Rok is a totally different character in this film compared to the book. He's more like Sorrento's henchman in this film rather than an online troll that just bugs Wade and his pals. He has a huge role to play as a sub-antagonist. I find it interesting that they decided to not show TJ Miller's face and only went with his avatar, which makes me wonder if they cut him out of the film (IRL that is), since he's kinda involved in this #MeToo thing.

How they transitioned away from the Pac Man/Extra Life coin and made it work within this story actually annoyed me that I missed it earlier in the film. He never randomly played Pac Man. He got his extra life coin from Ogden from his avatar in the Halliday Archives.

But yes, after tightening up some things, giving new tasks to different characters, and focusing the main plot: this turned out pretty good.

Mark Rylance’s acting choices were.... hmmm. He played autistic weirdo well. But sometimes it felt so forced and over the top, it was distracting.

I’ve probably missed some things. I’m sure you’ll remind me.

Pigdango

Donator
Let me ask you - should I bother or would I just be annoyed?
Since you seem to have found a new appreciation for movies made for 8 year olds, I say go for it. Spielberg does a nice job of blending the nostalgia elements for the adults with a very simplified plot and simplified characters for kids to understand. The latter annoyed me somewhat, but I think you might be better than me at setting that stuff aside and saying “10 year old Liddy might have liked this.”

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
Since you seem to have found a new appreciation for movies made for 8 year olds, I say go for it. Spielberg does a nice job of blending the nostalgia elements for the adults with a very simplified plot and simplified characters for kids to understand. The latter annoyed me somewhat, but I think you might be better than me at setting that stuff aside and saying “10 year old Liddy might have liked this.”
Near the end, I started saying to myself “Spielberg is aiming this directly at children right now”. The resolution is so black and white and kid friendly that it became kinda funny and campy. I’m not sure how pop culture nerds will appreciate it.

Pigdango

Donator
Near the end, I started saying to myself “Spielberg is aiming this directly at children right now”. The resolution is so black and white and kid friendly that it became kinda funny and campy. I’m not sure how pop culture nerds will appreciate it.
Some fucking asshole clapped, laughed out loud and screamed at the pegg thing at the end. Reminded me of the guy who openly wept at the end of Return of the King. I think it will do just fine with those people. Whether it catches on with general audiences is the big question.