Movie Steven Speilberg's Ready Player One!!! 3^30^2018

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
Some fucking asshole clapped, laughed out loud and screamed at the pegg thing at the end. Reminded me of the guy who openly wept at the end of Return of the King. I think it will do just fine with those people. Whether it catches on with general audiences is the big question.
I had an asshole in my theater hoot and holler at a ton of pop culture references because “HE KNEW WHAT THAT WAS!”. I wretched.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I had an asshole in my theater hoot and holler at a ton of pop culture references because “HE KNEW WHAT THAT WAS!”. I wretched.
I laughed at the magic spell. I don’t remember if that was in the book, but either way it was a goofy little moment.

Pigdango

Donator
I think if I was to describe this movie in one sentence, it’s a cross between Jingle all the Way and Scott Pilgrim.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
I think if I was to describe this movie in one sentence, it’s a cross between Jingle all the Way and Scott Pilgrim.
Interesting...but I still can't get over the hump.

But I might see GnD3 this weekend and IoD sometime during the week. Still don't know which is my FML gamble. I might get to this eventually.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Tempted to actually see this this weekend...

Atomic Fireball

Donator
OK, here we go.

The changes:

The three trials are very streamlined. Race first (With a different way it's answered). Movie reenactment second (But it really wasn't a movie reenactment... It was just them entering the film The Shining, which was cute, and made more sense to the plot and how Halliday wanted his heir to be who he wasn't). I enjoyed that, because it was a reference that led somewhere. And the third challenge they just go with finding the Adventure video game Easter Egg.

We meet up with Port Wine Stain IRL in Act 2 and the rest of the team in the beginning of Act 3. Aech plays a tech ogre in the OASIS, and in real life she's a younger version of Leslie Jones. They never reference her sexuality, or that she became a white guy in the OASIS so that she could experience white privilege. The two Japanese brothers don't even die. They survive the movie, which I guess makes sense. Sorrento already established he was a bad guy when he had the stacks where Wade lives explode.

Everything takes place in Columbus, OH. They don't travel from Oklahoma City to Columbus. Hell, Ogden doesn't even really help them until you realize he was hiding in the OASIS as a record keeper. And they never go to Portland, and they never find new suits.

Wade doesn't even bulk up in the middle of the book and become a physical specimen now. They actually give the break-in at IOI and dealing with everything in their headquarters to Art3mis, which doesn't make her a damsel in distress/prize for Wade anymore. They give her shit to do.

In fact, Wade feels like a flawed protagonist. He isn't made out to be the best at everything. Yeah, they list off Halliday 80s fun facts like fucking spastics, but that shit is pretty well contained. The references aren't overt. Yes, a lot of Warner Brothers IPs and characters (I found a bunch of characters from Arkham Knight in there), but rarely did I groan because a reference was put in there. It was lovely color to the world rather than "HEY LET'S DWELL ON THIS!" Although there was a spastic in my crowd who laughed at a blatant reference that made me want to throat punch him.

The ending is changed somewhat. It's made more exciting by adding a chase element to the proceedings. That being said, the ending was pretty cheesy, and I laughed hard when the bad guys were in the back of the police car. What was this, a cartoon?

They still introduce the big red button that deletes the OASIS... And I still don't know why you'd focus on that. At least Spielberg added some uncertainty because Halliday's avatar was telling him about the big red button while they were in a chase, so he might have mistakenly hit it.

i-Rok is a totally different character in this film compared to the book. He's more like Sorrento's henchman in this film rather than an online troll that just bugs Wade and his pals. He has a huge role to play as a sub-antagonist. I find it interesting that they decided to not show TJ Miller's face and only went with his avatar, which makes me wonder if they cut him out of the film (IRL that is), since he's kinda involved in this #MeToo thing.

How they transitioned away from the Pac Man/Extra Life coin and made it work within this story actually annoyed me that I missed it earlier in the film. He never randomly played Pac Man. He got his extra life coin from Ogden from his avatar in the Halliday Archives.

But yes, after tightening up some things, giving new tasks to different characters, and focusing the main plot: this turned out pretty good.

Mark Rylance’s acting choices were.... hmmm. He played autistic weirdo well. But sometimes it felt so forced and over the top, it was distracting.

I’ve probably missed some things. I’m sure you’ll remind me.
I realize that I've forgotten everything in this book I read two years ago, except it's about VR and 80s culture references.

Pigdango

Donator
Interesting...but I still can't get over the hump.

But I might see GnD3 this weekend and IoD sometime during the week. Still don't know which is my FML gamble. I might get to this eventually.
I do enjoy the game we play where you ask my opinion and then completely ignore it.

LiddyRules

I do enjoy the game we play where you ask my opinion and then completely ignore it.
Your opinion hasn't totally turned me off the movie. Rather, it makes me want to give the movie a shot. However, as of right now, my overall Clineativity (Negaclinity?) still controls. Much like Homecoming, give it a few weeks and I will give it a go.

Pigdango

Donator
Your opinion hasn't totally turned me off the movie. Rather, it makes me want to give the movie a shot. However, as of right now, my overall Clineativity (Negaclinity?) still controls. Much like Homecoming, give it a few weeks and I will give it a go.
You want me to care whether you see it or when, but I don’t.

I am however very disappointed that you didn’t see Hurricane Heist.

LiddyRules

You want me to care whether you see it or when, but I don’t.

I am however very disappointed that you didn’t see Hurricane Heist.
It played for a fucking week and then shifted to one showing at noon. What did you want from me?

I don't care if you care whether I see it or not. I was genuinely asking your opinion because of how divisive Cline is. Your opinion helped convince me to see it. Just not opening weekend.

Bobobie

Did they get the hair right? Windblow aquanet hair is very important animation.

Voodoo Ben

The African Dream
This movie's a piece of shit, isn't it?
That's just like how i judge movies are good or not.

My brother has horrible taste in movies and if he says he think's a movie is great then that means the movie is bad.

Floyd1977

I really liked it. I didn’t read the book and didn’t look up anything about it. Went in blind and loved it.
Took my kid to see it today. Didn't read the book. It was ok. Admittedly the "spot the reference" game was kind of fun (and, of course I knew the significance of "Adventure" before the movie revealed it). Probably could have lost about 15-20 minutes. Thought the

Shining recreation

was kind of neat. I liked the Goldie Wilson posters in H's lair (probably because it always now makes me think of Ant talking about how Goldie ruined Hill Valley). It had good attention to detail. Kind of thought it was obvious that the guy they cast as Wade was a near clone of young Spielberg.

So is there an aggregation yet of all the references?

LiddyRules

1) Why did I watch a 2.5 hour version of South Park's Warcraft episode?
2) Cooke and Rylance "saved" the movie.

LiddyRules

I probably should give a more definitive answer. I thought that movie stunk. If it focused on one or two areas of the book. Make it more about the hunt. Make it more about I0I trying to take over. Make it more about Halliday/Pegg. Make it more about the world's dependence on Oasis. But it felt like none of those things had the appropriate focus so everything felt rushed and surface.