Movie Steven Speilberg's Ready Player One!!! 3^30^2018

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
The movie was a 5 out of 10, but given the source material that’s all it could have been. It wasn’t fantastic, and it didn’t stink. It was a competently made adaptation of a book written by an adult child for other adult children. If it was successful at all, it was that it packaged the spirit of the book and the films of the era into a movie made for children. Sort of like a live action Pixar movie. And that’s not a success that should be overlooked in an era where too many films try only for this:
I understand your point better now and therefore will respond less snittily.

My personal belief is that very few movies need to be a 5/10, which this was. If I was generous, I'd say 6/10. It's watchable but ultimately forgettable. I definitely think Spielberg (to his credit) showed that there was some heart/life to the story. However, I thought his approach just broke surface. I think a different director (even Zemeckis if you want to go older) could have really honed in on the emotional elements and made the movie something powerful. Instead it jussssssssssst makes it there. I think that's obviously a problem with the source material, but it's not an unfixable one - find what works for you, discards what doesn't.

Spielberg's approach to the references also showed that pop culture didn't need to be the be all - end all of RPO. For the most part, he downplayed them, making most references interchangeable stickers and avatars, as opposed to something that reflects the characters or the world. I don't think not using licensed characters is a Spielberg Exclusive Quality; I think many directors would do the same thing because they're not 'special' like Cline who can only associate with the world if he can link it to Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. I also think there could be a middle ground there. You don't have to be a Spielberg ignoring the prevalence of pop culture, and you don't have to be Rogue One Slobbering Cline Fan Service. I thought The Lego Movie walked that line well, integrating references as part of its wider story. I think Lord and Miller actually could have been great for this.*

(Snitty comment #1: Something I do, which I think is why you misunderstand my points a lot of the time is that, when I throw out different options, it's not that I want them all in the same thing. I'm throwing out different alternatives completely exclusive from the other. It's not contradictory, it's parallel.)

Or maybe I should be placing more of my blame on Tye Sheridan. I think with a better lead this movie could have been better. Obviously I don't want a Cline-style slobbering fanboy, but someone who displays some excitement and wonder could have gone a long way towards making me buy into this movie.

Also, I never liked Goonies. Ever.

* Going along with paragraph, there's a reason why The Shining sequence is the best regarded/most memorable bit in the entire movie. It's the only sequence that really integrates the pop culture aspect well and poignantly by letting it contribute to the plot, the characters, and the themes. I wouldn't want 100 Shining moments, but a couple of cleverer set pieces could have definitely bolstered the movie. But that sequence shows that it's not impossible to do. And of note it's also the sequence farthest from anything in Cline's book.

Last edited:

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Some fucking asshole clapped, laughed out loud and screamed at the pegg thing at the end. Reminded me of the guy who openly wept at the end of Return of the King. I think it will do just fine with those people. Whether it catches on with general audiences is the big question.
My theater today had its share of clappers, talking plot points out loud-ers, LOL'ers, and fat nerds of random ages

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
I think if I was to describe this movie in one sentence, it’s a cross between Jingle all the Way and Scott Pilgrim.
More like they put Tron, The Matrix, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, Wreck It Ralph and 1984 all together in a blender

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
They discuss the port wine stain and nail the fact that everyone is attractive irl.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Ok, I am watching this pile of shit right now. Question about a huge plot hole first hour. Why are they trying so hard to kill Wade? 5 people have the first key. Why stop one person? Dont you have to have all 3 keys so only the first 5 can even win right.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Ok, I am watching this pile of shit right now. Question about a huge plot hole first hour. Why are they trying so hard to kill Wade? 5 people have the first key. Why stop one person? Dont you have to have all 3 keys so only the first 5 can even win right.
You’re asking questions about a shitty movie which was a flat out rip off of “its a mad, mad,mad, world” I think I may have actually paid $6 to watch that pile of shite the entire thing was awful

TomC

uppity neobarb
yep, finished it. You needed all 3 keys so movie made no since. Bad guy was going all out to win key 3 but it would have been useless.

LiddyRules

I had almost forgotten how much I hate Cline.
Wait until Ready Player Two...
We ought to HitW the movie. For healing.

Whatever Cline does next won't top Armada. That book was life changing. But here's something I considered.

I wonder if the next Cline protagonist will be female. When RPO came out, a lot of the criticism leveled against Cline involved his trophy female characters, and how his male protagonists - both with the emotional maturity of a 13 year old - having a crush contributes to grape culture. Since Cline appears to be "sensitive" to that way of thinking, I wonder if he'll respond with a female lead. She'll be just as poorly fleshed out as her male leads, but he might think it'll cut off that criticism.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
We ought to HitW the movie. For healing.

Whatever Cline does next won't top Armada. That book was life changing. But here's something I considered.

I wonder if the next Cline protagonist will be female. When RPO came out, a lot of the criticism leveled against Cline involved his trophy female characters, and how his male protagonists - both with the emotional maturity of a 13 year old - having a crush contributes to grape culture. Since Cline appears to be "sensitive" to that way of thinking, I wonder if he'll respond with a female lead. She'll be just as poorly fleshed out as her male leads, but he might think it'll cut off that criticism.
My first thought when I saw the title was that Art3mis was going to be the lead. My second thought was “how are they making a sequel to this?”

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I feel like this will be compulsory reading.

I fucking hate myself.
If you think you hate yourself, I had a dream last night, and you were in it kind of. I was about to see Avengers 4, and I was talking to Gwyneth Paltrow about her character arc throughout the series (I’m not sure how or why.) and some continuity errors that actually aren’t in the movies.

I watched the tail end of Iron Man 2 and the beginning of The Running Man, which has a huge continuity error in the beginning that led me to moviemistakes.com right before I went to sleep. So that’s obviously where the dream came from.

Anyway, when I saw the movie there were aspects of it which made no sense. One of them was an extended scene of a Skrull armada attacking Earth, and as they break through Earth’s force field who flies up to meet them but Superman, accompanied by the Williams music. Since Cavill was unavailable they CGI’d Christopher Reeve’s face on, and had the guy who did his voice on the Superfriends do voiceover work. There is a long tracking shot of him dismantling the entire Skrull fleet, then flying down to meet with the rest of the team and give them the breakdown of the situation. Wonder Woman asks “where is Hal?” And Deadpool comes around the corner.

There was more to it, but during intermission I sent a note to The Teacher and told her she should bring you to a showing without a lot of people, because you would be laughing and squealing with delight and would disturb the other moviegoers.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Saw this movie the other week thanks to HBO. What a fucking snoozefest.

LiddyRules

My first thought when I saw the title was that Art3mis was going to be the lead. My second thought was “how are they making a sequel to this?”
Do you think that cheesedick will rewrite RPO's from Artie's perspective rather than an actual sequel?

I thought it might be great, I thought it probably would be terrible, I didn’t expect it to be so dull.
I remember you liked it more than I did. What I remember is that there is so little anything to the movie whether with world building or genre appreciation, and lead boy is a dullard and a half. To the max.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
The only real enjoyable part was seeing the Delorean driving around unrealistically. It was cool seeing a cool looking car do things it could never do IRL.

Everything else was either stupid or boring. The rack backwards that was supposed to be cool and exciting? Boring. The final climax? Boring. Every single excursion to the museum was extra boring. The battle in the dance hall, boring. etc.

T.J. Miller would've been a much more interesting bad guy but nope.