Movie Steven Speilberg's Ready Player One!!! 3^30^2018

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
The only real enjoyable part was seeing the Delorean driving around unrealistically. It was cool seeing a cool looking car do things it could never do IRL.

Everything else was either stupid or boring. The rack backwards that was supposed to be cool and exciting? Boring. The final climax? Boring. Every single excursion to the museum was extra boring. The battle in the dance hall, boring. etc.

T.J. Miller would've been a much more interesting bad guy but nope.
The movie's like 2 hours 20 right? From what I remember about it, it never seems to come together as a movie. It's loosely connected scenes that never feel like a whole. It's hard to explain it. Like how the questing stuff never feels like a good hunt in an adventure movie like Indiana Jones or even Aquaman. Or how the team never has a camaraderie like in Goonies or Stranger Things. And if you want to play that off because they never really met each other, that's one thing, but they don't do it. The villain's goals and methods are loosely defined at best. Things like that.

And with such a long running time, you wonder how other movies with shorter lengths feel more complete and fleshed out. Where does the time go?

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
The movie's like 2 hours 20 right? From what I remember about it, it never seems to come together as a movie. It's loosely connected scenes that never feel like a whole. It's hard to explain it. Like how the questing stuff never feels like a good hunt in an adventure movie like Indiana Jones or even Aquaman. Or how the team never has a camaraderie like in Goonies or Stranger Things. And if you want to play that off because they never really met each other, that's one thing, but they don't do it. The villain's goals and methods are loosely defined at best. Things like that.

And with such a long running time, you wonder how other movies with shorter lengths feel more complete and fleshed out. Where does the time go?
What I want to know is how long did it take to apply Art3mis’s splotch? I’ll say 90 minutes.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator

The villain has the most defined goals. That's saying something.

By skipping all the shit about H and main character hanging out and playing games and being awful humans there's zero development to their friendship. Same for sword bros. They just sort of show up and hang around like best buddies for no reason.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
The villain has the most defined goals. That's saying something.

By skipping all the shit about H and main character hanging out and playing games and being awful humans there's zero development to their friendship. Same for sword bros. They just sort of show up and hang around like best buddies for no reason.
One of the reasons the book RPO worked for me was because it was a dystopia. Everything was so terrible, and there was such little hope, that Oasis-escapism (Oascapism?) was necessary to stop from going insane. Which is how I read the obsession with the 1980s - these people needed to "live" in a different time or a different place. And between gunting and "modern" media being cheap retreads of stuff from that period (I don't believe that was said in the book, or even implied, but it tracked for me), why not stick with the classics?

I never got that from the movie - any of this world building. The world seemed fine. People had jobs. They seemed well maintained. Things were clean. There needed to be a Wizard of Oz-style split between the squalor of the real life and the brightness and beauty of the Oasis. The Oasis needed to be preferable to the real world; instead, it was uglier. Because these were aspects of RPO (the book) you could have taken and built upon (the Oasis both saving us and keeping us in a state of arrested development, dystopia from a child POV and I know Wade's 25 if he's a day, but they could have aged the character down physically or mentally), instead they did nothing. Much like Cline himself, it was soulless.