STL files

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
The company that I work for does Rapid Prototyping. Basically you can send a file to a machine and it'll create your model. I am looking for some new or cool stuff to play around with so I am looking for .stl files. If you have some or if you use Solidworks I would be interested. I might be able to send out a part or two.

grail

Thanks... FD. I will download a few of these. The math models are always neat. I downloaded a couple and see how they come out.

grail

Here's one of the model's made from the link you gave me Fr. Dougal. It consists of two flat torsi interlaced with each other. It's made out of ABS and took about 45 hrs to build. It came out really nice.

Fr. Dougal

Holy crap, that is freaky looking!

I don't know why... but I want one! lol

grail

It's an additive process. It build's the model layer by layer from the bottom up. The spots where you don't want the model to touch each other or to build up a higher, a support layer is added with a water soluble polymer. When the model is done you can dissolve the support layers away. You end up with a solid model. You can get some really cool stuff this way as well. Especially models that have moving parts but no assembly. I have some bicycle chains running right now. All the links work but there is no master pin. No assembly. I post some pics when those are done.

Fr. Dougal

I still want someone to make me a full-size replica of the Stanley Cup. :)

grail

First find a full 3d scan of the cup and get it into a stl file. Then send the part to our paid parts department. It ain't going to be cheap either. A part that huge is a lot of money. Then have it plated to match. Lighter than the original all the coolness. Good luck.

Dave _from_Kiev

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid IS a way to go thru life.
First find a full 3d scan of the cup and get it into a stl file. Then send the part to our paid parts department. It ain't going to be cheap either. A part that huge is a lot of money. Then have it plated to match. Lighter than the original all the coolness. Good luck.
kick ass stuff grail.

As A machinist I am curious as to how long it takes to make that thing? and what is the deposited material? resin or some type of plastic?

is yours done with electricity or a laser?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
I need a custom made bezel for my car. I stink with plastic molding and fiberglass. Would that work well for me?

grail

I need a custom made bezel for my car. I stink with plastic molding and fiberglass. Would that work well for me?
It would definetly would work for you. You just have to have the part you want modeled in solidworks or something similar. There is one case study we have, where Hyundai modeled an entire dashboard (bezels and all).

DFK... the model in the pics is ABS plastic, but we have machines that will also do PC-ABS, Polycarbonate, PPSF (polyphenolsulfone), and ABSi (transulenct ABS). The way is works it has a small extrusion head in a oven. It lays down a bead of polymer layer by layer. It's really like a hi-tech computer controlled hot glue gun. No lasers. Real plastics, not that gooey sterolithograpy stuff. PM for the name of the company, I think they have video links on the site and a spot where you can order a free example part. Part time is dependent upon the how detail and intricate the part is and how big it is.