OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Storm invigorates proponents of NYC sea barrier

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BIV, Nov 1, 2012.

1. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

2. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

When the Netherlands built its barrier system, there was an objective study calculating the cost of flooding and weighing them against the cost of the project. The project proved to be cost effective because of two factors:
    1. large population centers were located bellow sea level
    2. storms in the North Sea can't be predicted early enough to allow time for full evacuation, so the cost in human life would be high.

Maybe "community activists" and politicians should get to work on that first, then run their mouths.

Bluestreak likes this.
  3. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Good luck with that... more then likely it will turn in to New York's version of the Big Dig... with the cost overruns... and other shenanigans.

d0uche_n0zzle and Bluestreak like this.
  4. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Just noticed this tid-bit on the wiki article about the big dig...

Nice.

5. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Holy crap... that is an Engineering 101 rookie error. Dissimilar metals in direct contact, especially in mounting hardware, is a Bozo No No, and a formula for disaster. They pounded that lesson into our heads on like day 1 of our engineering schools in the Navy..

Somebody's head better have rolled for that fuck up... probably didn't though.

6. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

What we need is for the government to create an organization to handle this matter in a proper and cost effective way.

7. BIV

Hell, I think we learned the basics of that in high school chemistry. Fucking ponderous.

8. BIV

We can call it the Federal Expectations committee for Machining and Allowances.

Norm Stansfield likes this.
  9. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well that and not like Bawferston is near any salt water or anything...

10. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

You need a better M word for your acronym :action-sm

11. Creasy Bear

Donator

Or has winters where they put salt on the roads or anything...

12. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

And a shit tonne of that as well... they do have "salt free zones" near water though... which I thought was odd as the rivers there (for the most part) are tidal and brackish.

13. BIV

Nah, the M is fine, it's the E that doesn't work.

14. Creasy Bear

Donator

If memory serves me... you can just install a grounding strap between the fixture and the mounting bracket to eliminate, or at least mitigate, the effects of the galvanic corrosion. Eliminate the difference in potential and there is no current flow.

But... that's probably the 1 million dollar answer versus the 54 million dollar solution the contractors preferred.

15. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well that and there is a goo you can put put on dissimilar metals... plus the fixtures have been rotting for 6 or 8 years. At least no more the ceiling has fallen down because of someone using the wrong glue on the bolts.

16. MayrMeninoCrash

[​IMG]

The Army Corps recently built Louisiana a nice new seawall to protect from storm surge. I was fortunate enough to go out there and check it out while it was under construction.

Speaking as someone who is "in the know", my guess would be these lights were not designed for this particular application and someone was cutting corners by not buying the "OK to be near saltwater" version of the lights that have a 20% markup because they include nylon washers to isolate the different metals. Most likely the designer didn't specify exactly which model light to use and the contractor ordered the cheapest models to satisfy his requirements.

17. MayrMeninoCrash

Generally you would use some sort of cathodic protection, which is a sacrificial bar of metal (zinc usually) that "absorbs" the corrosion and protects the metal. Installing those would be way more work than swapping out the bolts and washers though.

18. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well more then likely the company that made the lights was owned by a relative of the contractor installing them.... oh the light fixtures in question.

[​IMG]

Kinda look like a bigger version of the vapor proof ones I put in the barn....

19. Creasy Bear

Donator

Seems like ground straps would be a fuckload cheaper. That's how we did it on the ship when I was in the Navy. Dissimilar metals and galvanic corrosion couldn't be avoided in many instances. Navy ships are a nightmare of galvanic corrosion... steel hull, aluminum superstructure, brass fixtures, salt water and salty grime on everything, and all of the millions of metal thingymabobs and doohickeys that have to be attached and bolted to said steel hull and aluminum superstructure. We used cathodic protection to protect the ships hull from corrosion, but it wasn't feasible for all of the other crap on the ship. Simple ground straps for everything else... worked fine.

20. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Mike Rowe went with the Corps of Engineers to replace sacrificial anodes on a flood gate or something... oh and if they are changing them at night I can just imagine the wacky detours. I drove in late through Bawferston a few years ago and the tunnels were closed the detour included going through an alley.

21. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Federal Utility Committee for Kinetic Utilization of Problematic Spotlights.

Lord Zero likes this.
  22. BIV

What a C barrier might look like:

[​IMG]

Lord Zero likes this.