Straight Talk

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
I just ordered their BYOD (Bring your own device) sim to use in the wifes iPhone, they are a MVNO using either AT&T or Tmobile towers, they have unlimited talk, text and date for $45 a month. You dont need to jailbreak it or unlock it. She has the same coverage and data speeds for half the price.

http://www.straighttalksim.com/

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Based on some user reviews...it doesn't seem worth it. Alot of complaints of dropped calls, slow internet, and crappy customer service. That tells me that you may be using AT&T's network...however you're not a "priority". Also, based on StraightTalk's terms and conditions...it doesn't sound like they want you streaming video or music:

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.
So, it's unlimited data...as long as you don't stream music/video or play games and judging by some reviews, it sounds like some general browsing is prohibited.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
if youre over 25 and cant afford a normal mobile plan then you should just carry a pocket full of change and use what ever pay phones are left

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
If you have a 4g phone then yes you can use 4g, I have an iPhone connected to it so I only get 3g buy I am averaging about 3-4 mbps which is what we were getting with ATT. So far she has used the data as she did with ATT and has had no problems, she streams radio for about 30 min per day and uses apps and navigation too.

I havent had to deal with the customer service as I followed the wiki and it worked with no issues, the only thing is she cant MMS without jailbreaking it so she has to email photos.

HoFo has a ton of info on it http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/551-Straight-Talk

Seems like they are allowing 150 mb a day or 2.5 gb per month with no issues, she never really comes close to that and its 50 bucks a month cheaper.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
if youre over 25 and cant afford a normal mobile plan then you should just carry a pocket full of change and use what ever pay phones are left
That's just ignorant. Why would you want to pay almost double the cost for the same service? I use it in my iphone the only thing that doesn't work is MMS cause you need to jail break it to change the APN settings. I actually get better service then my friends with ATT in the same spots for the most part. Most of the time I'm also on WIFI either at work, home, or the bar so I don't worry about the video streaming cap.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Got a Virgin Mobile (Sprint 3G) ANDROID, 300 talk/2.5 DATA for $38.02 per month (3.02 sales tax) and saved big time.

The ass r@ping from service, user, taxes, fees is over.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
With tax it costs me 48.50 a month for unlimited everything. I'm very sure once they get a bigger foot hold in the market they will raise their prices. But I've had the service for 2 years now and its been good.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
if youre dumb enough to pay what at&t charges you deserve it

i pay $76.10 a month and get unlimited everything and 4g. so i dont have to worry about being on wifi or not, and when virgin or boost gets 4g then i will switch to one of them

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
So paying double for the same service is a better idea, got it.

More competition from these type of companies will force your mobile plan to be cheaper and better or more people will leave. Everyone wins.

This company is backed by Carlos Slim and Walmart, they buy wholesale from ATT and Tmobile and pass the savings to the customer. I am literally using the same towers as before but paying half.

if youre dumb enough to pay what at&t charges you deserve it

i pay $76.10 a month and get unlimited everything and 4g. so i dont have to worry about being on wifi or not, and when virgin or boost gets 4g then i will switch to one of them
So you say in one post that if youre over 25 you need a contract, or need to use payphones, then follow it up with when boost or virgin get 4g youll switch to them.

PS Tmobile has 4g now for the same 45 bucks so does ATT.

Danesy

Cute but psycho, it all evens out.
Jun 5, 2006
Satellite of Love
I just switched to T-Mobile. I get a great 4G signal, unlimited everything. 45 bucks. I was paying almost 80 for the same shit with Verizon.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Doubtful 4G will be available in my town, as those assholes love to debate cell towers to death.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
If you have a 4g phone then yes you can use 4g, I have an iPhone connected to it so I only get 3g buy I am averaging about 3-4 mbps which is what we were getting with ATT. So far she has used the data as she did with ATT and has had no problems, she streams radio for about 30 min per day and uses apps and navigation too.

I havent had to deal with the customer service as I followed the wiki and it worked with no issues, the only thing is she cant MMS without jailbreaking it so she has to email photos.

HoFo has a ton of info on it http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/551-Straight-Talk

Seems like they are allowing 150 mb a day or 2.5 gb per month with no issues, she never really comes close to that and its 50 bucks a month cheaper.
After reading some of the topics over there, you get a better understanding for the service. It doesn't seem too bad...definitely let us know your experience with it.

I just worry that they seem to police data usage pretty heavily. Streaming video, downloading apps, and tethering are probably not an option. If you leave something running by mistake or you leave Pandora or Slacker running...they'll likely shut your data off and call you. It sounds like with a "Oops, I'm sorry, I left an application open by mistake." excuse, they'll turn it back on after a brief lecture. But it sounds like you don't get many second chances. It also sounds like you might be treated differently depending on the network you're on...it sounds like if you're on T-Mobile, you'll have a little more leeway in how much data you use, while they'll be tougher on data usage to satisfy those cunts at AT&T.

I think MMS would still work between iPhones running iOS 5.0 since you'd be using Apple's messaging system, and not the carrier.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I just switched to T-Mobile. I get a great 4G signal, unlimited everything. 45 bucks. I was paying almost 80 for the same shit with Verizon.
They are amazing in areas with coverage. If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd never question having T-Mobile. Where I live it sucks.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
So paying double for the same service is a better idea, got it.

More competition from these type of companies will force your mobile plan to be cheaper and better or more people will leave. Everyone wins.

This company is backed by Carlos Slim and Walmart, they buy wholesale from ATT and Tmobile and pass the savings to the customer. I am literally using the same towers as before but paying half.

So you say in one post that if youre over 25 you need a contract, or need to use payphones, then follow it up with when boost or virgin get 4g youll switch to them.

PS Tmobile has 4g now for the same 45 bucks so does ATT.
if youre happy paying for data caps and speed throttles then have at it, when i say i pay for unlimited i mean for real truly unlimited

and i said if they ever get 4g.....providing its unlimited

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
The thing that disturbs me is that they turn you off when you go over their limits. No throttling, just shut off. Then you have to sit through a lecture about data usage?

Throttling is going to be a part of life for a long time to come. The carriers will eventually just kick the grandfathered people off true unlimited plans. They can't keep up with demand.

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
After reading some of the topics over there, you get a better understanding for the service. It doesn't seem too bad...definitely let us know your experience with it.

I just worry that they seem to police data usage pretty heavily. Streaming video, downloading apps, and tethering are probably not an option. If you leave something running by mistake or you leave Pandora or Slacker running...they'll likely shut your data off and call you. It sounds like with a "Oops, I'm sorry, I left an application open by mistake." excuse, they'll turn it back on after a brief lecture. But it sounds like you don't get many second chances. It also sounds like you might be treated differently depending on the network you're on...it sounds like if you're on T-Mobile, you'll have a little more leeway in how much data you use, while they'll be tougher on data usage to satisfy those cunts at AT&T.

I think MMS would still work between iPhones running iOS 5.0 since you'd be using Apple's messaging system, and not the carrier.
I plan on testing the limits on her data this week, she has a google voice number so if they boot us then I will buy a new sim and start again, from what I have read they dont ban the imei just the sim card. I have read that anywhere from 2gb to 6gb is allowed per month. So fat she is at 1.5 gb with 2 weeks to go on her month.

MMS will work but you need to edit the apn settings which you can only do if you jailbreak.

Here is the wiki for more info http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Straight_Talk_iPhone

if youre happy paying for data caps and speed throttles then have at it, when i say i pay for unlimited i mean for real truly unlimited

and i said if they ever get 4g.....providing its unlimited
Yes but you have unlimited Sprint which is crap, I rather have a limited steak dinner than an all you can eat buffet of diarrhea. Sprints 4g is the same speed as my 3G which is around 4-6 mbps however youre paying 30bucks more for it.

Youre happy paying more for worse service thats fine I am happy paying less for more.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
dont know where you are but where ever i go my sprint service is kick ass, not like the few people i know on at&t who have to call me back 4-5 imes per conversation because of their shitty service, and $30 more for unlimited is worth it to me, but what ever youre just gonna get mad because you cant afford better

and yea that was a wavyguy thing

wait i just realized buds is using iphones, ok you go right ahead, im outta here