Strange Caller About My Car For Sale

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I have my truck for sale on Craigslist because of the fucking association. I got a call today from a foreign guy interested in it. He called twice today. I told him I would email him tomorrow with the address and agreed to meet around 5:30. Nothing is odd except his first name is Murphy and his email ends in .fr. What would be the scam here?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Murphy was from Detroit, not France.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Why are the group behind Along Comes Mary against your truck?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Could be setting you up to take a bogus check and get the car.
.fr is usually a French domain. Could be a foreigner just using his
old email addy although Murphy is hardly french. I'd be skeptical.
Damn, should change ad to say cash only. Fuck.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
We used to have a guy go meet people who were selling their cars, mostly Craigslist listings... He wanted to test drive or ask the guy to start it.. boom he's gone.

Not to make you nervous or anything.. but what my cynical non trusting ass would do.. park it against a wall or spot on the street. Use another car to block that one in. Especially if the guy walked there or had someone bring him there. It rarely happens but it does happen.

word?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Damn, should change ad to say cash only. Fuck.

I was just going to add take cash only. And I think there a way to take off the "sent from my tapatalk" line. You should look into that.

Dec 9, 2004
West Chester
I have my truck for sale on Craigslist because of the fucking association. I got a call today from a foreign guy interested in it. He called twice today. I told him I would email him tomorrow with the address and agreed to meet around 5:30. Nothing is odd except his first name is Murphy and his email ends in .fr. What would be the scam here?

And by "address" you don't mean your house, right?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
We used to have a guy go meet people who were selling their cars, mostly Craigslist listings... He wanted to test drive or ask the guy to start it.. boom he's gone.
That too. We used to see that alot at the dealerships in South Philly.
Take the car for a test drive and toss the salesman out at knife point.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Just give him the address next door to your local police precinct. And didn't you read all the scam warnings from Craigs when you posted it?

Poison The Well

Somebody poisoned the water-hole!
Jan 7, 2008
Texas
Yeah, definitely want to go somewhere where there are cameras that can view any shenanigans and get a plate number for the car he shows up in (if he shows up in a car). I'd also tell him to go to the bank with you and have the check cashed/deposited right there.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
The new Craigslist scam reads something like this (my parents got a few of these when they tried to sell their truck last fall.

Hello,

First I would like you to consider your vehicle sold and take down the ad. I would like to test drive it, but I am unable to and will take your world at its operating conditions. Please provide me with your home address, home and cellular telephone numbers, and your work hours so I know when I can contact you. In about two-weeks time I will have my shipper come to the house to pick-up the vehicle, at which time he will provide you with a certified check.
One of two things were going to happen here. Either the "certified" check is bogus and it bounces after a week or so, or they just wanted to know when you weren't home so they can rob you. That exact email has been sent to at least six other people I know since then.

Edit: BTW this is was for a POS 1987 F250, and they never asked how many miles were on it.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
T BTW this is was for a POS 1987 F250, and they never asked how many miles were on it.
I sold some purebred pups a few years back. I got a call from Nigeria on the deaf people's phone line like Bob Kelly has sex on. The guy said he wanted two of my kittens. I said they are dogs. Operator told him that, there was a pause, and he had her say, OK, I would like two of your dogs. Fuck off.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Just sold my honda off craigslist... I met each person at a gas station or the mall every time. Always during the day and at least 2-3 miles away from my home.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Yea, you're going to get a fake cashier's check for more than the amount and they'll ask for change.

The pick-up guy will probably be an illegal from Africa or a legal immigrant. Show up in an INS jacket and ask for their visa for the lulz.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Are things so bad people can't meet outside their home to show a vehicle? Is that just if someone sounds sketchy or with everyone? I might have to start thinking about locking my doors.