NETFLIX Stranger Things (1980s Style Fantasy Series) - 10/27

Voodoo Ben

The African Dream
These kids really do look like they had a blast working together. Nice to see wholesome goofy shit from kids instead of the too grown up shit we usually see.
I find myself hoping and wishing that they don't end up like other child actors before them.

Voodoo Ben

The African Dream
Just finished the 2nd session.

So i guess they did the thing where they had a rubber dummy stuffed with cotton to pass off as a dead body with Barb? The same as they did with will? Because it shows Barb's funeral and her body was shown to be in the upside down last session.

So i guess they did the thing where they had a rubber dummy stuffed with cotton to pass off as a dead body with Barb? The same as they did with will? Because it shows Barb's funeral and her body was shown to be in the upside down last session.
Seems like a good guess, I didn't even think about that though. The parents don't seem like the type to have an empty casket funeral for a missing person...
Probably stuffed body.

Floyd1977

Possibly, although I'm not sure how that would work. Do they do a cotton stuffed body in a years worth of decomposition style?

Floyd1977

The parents don't seem like the type to have an empty casket funeral for a missing person...
Probably stuffed body.
but we're talking about Barb here. Barb! Of course she gets an empty casket funeral.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

I'm thinking empty casket. Remember the official story is that she died as result of a leak from the facility. But since story didn't break until after she initially disappeared, one can assume they cremated her body in order to get rid of the evidence. The funeral was to give her family and friends closure.

Floyd1977

"So that's why you've been staring at yourself in the mirror like some faggot"... greatest unexpected laugh I've had in a while.
I know that scene was to make his father seem "bad" (especially for saying "faggot") but I had no qualms about how he handled his asshole son (and I know thee scene was also meant to imply that the father is the reason he is the way he is) and using the word "faggot" in the 80's meant nothing. People said it all the time.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I know that scene was to make his father seem "bad" (especially for saying "faggot") but I had no qualms about how he handled his asshole son (and I know thee scene was also meant to imply that the father is the reason he is the way he is) and using the word "faggot" in the 80's meant nothing. People said it all the time.
The inclusion of that word made the exclusion of the other word (The one that explains why Max's brother didn't want her hanging around with Lucas) that much more noticeable. Either push all in or don't.

Floyd1977

The inclusion of that word made the exclusion of the other word (The one that explains why Max's brother didn't want her hanging around with Lucas) that much more noticeable. Either push all in or don't.
Probably would have risked going into TV-MA. "Faggot" still isn't quite the atom bomb that "n****r" is.

Pigdango

Donator
Probably would have risked going into TV-MA. "Faggot" still isn't quite the atom bomb that "n****r" is.
I'm not saying they should have used the n word, I'm just saying I probably wouldn't have noticed they didn't if they hadn't used the F word.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
I was actually surprised they didn't use the N-word when Max's brother first made his feelings about Lucas known. As he was talking, I was thinking, "Oh here it comes". I still thought the word was coming when he confronted Lucas in the season finale.

Pigdango

Donator
I was actually surprised they didn't use the N-word when Max's brother first made his feelings about Lucas known. As he was talking, I was thinking, "Oh here it comes". I still thought the word was coming when he confronted Lucas in the season finale.
Even if he didn't use the word, I thought there would be some reference to Lucas' race beyond the Ghostbusters joke, which was funny.

The Ghostbusters episode was the highlight of the season.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Even if he didn't use the word, I thought there would be some reference to Lucas' race beyond the Ghostbusters joke, which was funny.

The Ghostbusters episode was the highlight of the season.
That was where I thought the blecks were gonna get up in arms with regard to this show. Assuming Lucas would be dressed as Winston makes perfect sense in the context of three white kids and a black kid dressing up as ghostbusters, but still, I expected the usual suspects to express moral outrage.

Pigdango

Donator
That was where I thought the blecks were gonna get up in arms with regard to this show. Assuming Lucas would be dressed as Winston makes perfect sense in the context of three white kids and a black kid dressing up as ghostbusters, but still, I expected the usual suspects to express moral outrage.
Lucas expressed it for them and they handled the scene perfectly.

Floyd1977

Lucas expressed it for them and they handled the scene perfectly.
It's kind of weird that we look at things that are supposed to take place in the past through a "modern" filter. I mentioned how we're supposed to be shocked at Billy's father using the word "faggot" but in the 80s that was no big deal. In the 80's of you had a group of 3 white kids and one black kid, of course the black kid would be Winston. He would have wanted to be Winston.

In a weird way to me it actually seems more "racist" (or at least self loathing) if the black kid in the group didn't want to be Winston.

Pigdango

Donator
It's kind of weird that we look at things that are supposed to take place in the past through a "modern" filter. I mentioned how we're supposed to be shocked at Billy's father using the word "faggot" but in the 80s that was no big deal. In the 80's of you had a group of 3 white kids and one black kid, of course the black kid would be Winston. He would have wanted to be Winston.

In a weird way to me it actually seems more "racist" (or at least self loathing) if the black kid in the group didn't want to be Winston.
Again, they handled it perfectly by Lucas saying Winston wasn't a scientist.

I liked the skateboard scene, when El saw the ginger, in the gym