I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Strapless Dresses Too ‘Distracting’ for N.J. School Dance

Email
6 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print
By Alexa Valiente
Apr 24, 2013 6:00am

A New Jersey middle school principal has upset parents for saying girls could not wear strapless dresses to an eighth grade dance because, she said, they’d distract the boys.

“She said strapless dresses … are age inappropriate,” Charlotte Nijenhuis, 50, from Whitehouse Station, N.J., told ABCNews.com about her conversation with Readington Middle School’s principal, Sharon Moffat.

Readington Middle School in New Jersey has banned girls from wearing strapless dresses, such as these pictured here, to their eighth grade dance. (Getty Images)
Moffat sent out a letter this month, restricting girls from wearing dresses without straps to their eighth grade formal.
“Young gentleman are encouraged to wear collared shirts and trousers,” Moffat said in the letter. ”Young ladies should wear a skirt, dress with straps or a dressy pants outfit.”

Nijenhuis, whose daughter is an eighth grader at the school, said she challenged Moffat’s strapless-dress ban. When the principal told her the dresses would distract male students, Moffat said, ”Distracting [them] from what? It’s a sexist comment.”

Several attempts by ABCNews.com to reach Moffat for comment were not successful.

Nijenhuis said she later tried to voice her objections to the Readington Township School District’s superintendent, Barbara Sargent, who, she said, supported Moffat’s decision.

“The Readington Township School District has a policy regarding dress code, which is being universally applied to the school day and school events,” the school district said in a statement. ”We regret that a small number of families are upset by this, and we welcome their input and communication.”

Other parents are said they were upset about the strapless-dress ban.

“It’s more of a personal opinion rather than what’s in the best interest of these kids,” Melissa May, 37, of Flemington, N.J., told ABCNews.com.

“It’s categorizing all these children unfairly,” she said. “She’s saying the boys don’t know how to handle themselves. This whole issue is sending the kids a bad message: What you wear dictates who you are.”

May said she would never allow her daughter to go out of the house if she thought she was wearing something “inappropriate.”

“We need to put the power in the hands of the parents in what we find appropriate and what we don’t find appropriate for them to wear,” she said.

While both May and Nijenhuis said their daughters and other students were opposed to the new restriction, it is the parents who were leading the challenge.

Nijenhuis has started a petition for those who oppose the dress policy, and she and other parents and students would attend a meeting Tuesday night to voice their concerns before the school board.

“My hope is that the board agrees and says that they will stand by the prior interpretations that these dresses are well within 21st century customs,” Nijenhuis said.

For now, the strapless restrictions remain in place, with students saying having difficulty finding dresses that adhere to the policy for the June 14 dance.

“I’m hoping they soften it,” May said. “Let’s not put ideas in their head.

“They grow up so fast anyway.”
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...dresses-too-distracting-for-n-j-school-dance/
A New Jersey middle school principal has upset parents for saying girls could not wear strapless dresses to an eighth grade dance because, she said, they’d distract the boys.
Isn't that kinda the point?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Distract them from what? They aren't wearing strapless dresses to watch brain surgery.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Coming from a state where the age of consent is 16...

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Its the 8th grade, the boys either arent remotely interested in the girls or are so horned up they would want to fuck them if they were wearing a suit of armor. Bunch of puritanical asshole parents, just let the kids dress up for a party.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Its the 8th grade, the boys either arent remotely interested in the girls or are so horned up they would want to fuck them if they were wearing a suit of armor. Bunch of puritanical asshole parents, just let the kids dress up for a party.

sounds about right to me

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Those boys will be all worked up just from touching any bare skin that night. The school district is crazy if they think shoulder straps will prevent that.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
Those boys will be all worked up just from touching any bare skin that night. The school district is crazy if they think shoulder straps will prevent that.
I still get worked up touching bare skin. That's how it's supposed to work.

Something tells me that Sharon the Principle was a Rotundamunda disaster as a child.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Ok, prepare for hotness.

My wife has to chaperone one dance per year, and she said that she frequently has to walk on to the dance floor to tell girls to pull up their dress, because "things fall out, or are pulled out."

Wait, it gets hotter. She also has to tell them to pull DOWN their dresses, because "some of them are so short, OTHER things fall out."

Wait, it gets hotter: This is a middle school dance.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Ok, prepare for hotness.

My wife has to chaperone one dance per year, and she said that she frequently has to walk on to the dance floor to tell girls to pull up their dress, because "things fall out, or are pulled out."

Wait, it gets hotter. She also has to tell them to pull DOWN their dresses, because "some of them are so short, OTHER things fall out."

Wait, it gets hotter: This is a middle school dance.
Pics and vids or I'm calling for your banishment.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Stop, they are already giving head in the bathrooms and under the stairs in the middle school for 20$. The Madison NJ. Middle school had a club called the blowjob club (basically it was a prostitution ring), Boys brought in 20 bucks girls would blow them.
Then there are the "games" they play at parties: Rainbow game...girls put on different lipsticks and go from boy to boy blowing them. The last boy to blow his load wins. then there is "guess who" where boys sit at a table and girls crawl under the table and blow them.. then the boys have to guess who blew them.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I'm pretty sure most of the girls that had something to hold up a strapless dress at my 8th grade dance wore one.

Also, surprised the dyke-ish looking administrator picture would be against that.