OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Stuck Tailgate on an 2002 S10 Pickup

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by Bobobie, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

It's stuck closed. I guess it froze up sometime during the winter. It was bound to happen because the handle would never snap back automatically so you'd have to push it closed when raising the tailgate.. I disconnected the rods from the handles and pulled them with vice-grips and they sound like they pulling the bolt locks on either end, but it still stuck. I'd like to try and Jimmy it open manually, but I'm not sure how the latching mechanism works or what it looks like. I'm assuming some bolts are set into the frame and the rods pull some mechanism that pulls these back somehow. I can't see much thru the cracks between the tailgate and the turning signal case. I've looked online, but can't find anything showing what is mounted to the tailgate. Oh, yeah I sprayed WD40 around where it looks like the latches are on either side, hoping it would free it up. Not even sure if it's reaching anything.

2. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Don't know the specific tailgate, but is there a panel (probably on the bed side) that can be removed? If so take that off and you could probably manually activate the latching mechanisms.

3. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Lift the handle and see if you can see the rod ends
    Pull one or both toward the middle and see if it unlatches
    Had that problem with my old Chevy truck
    There was wear and tear on the handle part that grabbed the rod ends

4. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

Just fixed it!

Yeah, I tried detaching and pulling the rods earlier and it still wasn't opening.

I used two old credit cards to make sure that the bolt latches were being engaged, and they were. So I knew that the latching mechanism wasn't the problem so started pulling on the tailgate with my neighbor helping me. He lay in the bed on his back and started kicking it and it started opening. The hinges are just about gone on it. I can now open it easy, but it looks like I'll be looking for a new tailgate soon. Messing around with seems to have fixed the latch, because it pops back by itself now. I used to have to manually move it down to engage the latch when raising the tailgate closed.

5. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Congrats

Maybe one of those net tailgates would be a cheaper option
    I never had one though

6. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

maz beat me to it, ive been away from my computer, all that you need to do is lubricate the latches and the pivot in the center of the handle, wd40 will loosen up the mechanisms but you really need to put some oil in there, i use spray grease that comes out liquid and then solidify after a few seconds that tailgate doesn't really "hinges" just pivots at either end, just spray the shit out of them also and it should loosen up after a while

chevys are NOTORIOUS for that problem, i fix probably one or two a month, i also keep the little plastic clips that hold the rods in stock worst case is that you will have to replace the handle mechanism thats held in buy 3 13mm bolts from the back the latches on the ends rarely go bad with a little lube, its the springs in the handle that break or the handle its self

7. maz

maz TRueWDTer

My old truck was a 1988 Cheyanne
    I don't think the rod ends actually clipped to the handle
    Just had a couple bosses/tabs to engage the rod ends

Fuck It
    That truck is history now anyway

Last payment made on my 2000 Silverado

Woo Hoo

8. maz

maz TRueWDTer

What's the name of that spray grease , Fez Man ?

I might wanna have a can of that

9. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

its called "cheeta grease" i get it from an industrial supply place called "crest" but you can use motorcycle cable lube also i really like it