Student carrying nerf gun shuts down P.S.4 in Bronx

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Police locked down P.S. 4 in Crotona Park following report of a gun at the school. It was later discovered the student had a toy gun.

A student carrying a Nerf gun caused a temporary panic and a 75-minute lockdown at a Bronx school Tuesday morning, police said.
Nervous authorities closed off Public School 4 after an employee overheard two students talking about the “weapon” as they headed into the Crotona Park school, cops said.
The worker quickly went to a school administrator with the report, and the K-8 school on Fulton Ave. was shut down at about 8:15 a.m.

Parents soon gathered outside the school as word of the scare spread.
“When we showed up, it was pure chaos,” said Mary Soto, whose granddaughter Jada Lopez is a kindergarten student at the school.
“There were parents, students, cops everywhere. They had the kids hiding under tables and in closets. The kids were really scared.”

It turned out the 12-year-old student’s “gun” was a harmless weapon that fires foam bullets — but that didn’t calm down parents.
Vanessa Sanchez, whose son Adam is a first-grader, complained she and others were kept in the dark about the incident.
“When I called, they said nothing was going on,” said Sanchez, 38. “It’s just incredible that something like this, whether it’s real or not, can happen and there’s no system to contact parents.”

Little Adam Sanchez said his teacher put the students in the corner of their classroom — and the scared kids had no idea what was going on.
Vanessa Sanchez brought her boy home after the lockdown was lifted shortly after 9:30 a.m. The school reopened, but parents were given the option of taking their children home for the day.
Education Department spokeswoman Margie Feinberg said the school principal called for the lockdown after hearing “a rumor” about a student with a gun inside the building.
The facility holds a grammar school, a middle school and the Leadership Academy high school.
No charges were brought against the student with the toy weapon, although authorities said he could face some kind of discipline from the school.

The amazing part is that they tell them to get under the desk like its an earthquake. Do these schools not have windows or some way to get out in case of a fire? It seems to me like the media causing all of this panic and scaring people is the equivalent of yelling fire in a theater.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I do love the logic.
Problem: Reports of a student with a gun in the school.
Solution: Lock all the students inside with him.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
I do love the logic.
Problem: Reports of a student with a gun in the school.
Solution: Lock all the students inside with him.
Schools are like prisons that you get to leave every day.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
The amazing part is that they tell them to get under the desk like its an earthquake. Do these schools not have windows or some way to get out in case of a fire? It seems to me like the media causing all of this panic and scaring people is the equivalent of yelling fire in a theater.
Most inner city NYC schools have gated windows and are multiple story jobs.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I didn't even think the PS4 was out yet.

Ah boooooo.