Students Punished After Buying Lunch With Pennies

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/pennies.readington.township.2.666113.html

It's plastered on their shirts and these eighth graders wear it proudly because on Thursday they pulled a prank at the Readington Middle School, paying for their lunches entirely in pennies.

"At first it started out as a joke, then everyone else started saying we're protesting against like how short our lunch is," student Alyssa Concannon said.

Several lunch ladies who had to do the counting didn't think it was funny, even though some of the students put the coins in rolls. They're not authorized to put in their two cents but school officials say they felt disrespected and other students didn't get to eat lunch.

"There are ways to express yourself that are not disruptive to other kids and disrespectful to staff," said Readington Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jorden Schiff.

Eighth grader Jenny Hunt said in hindsight, the prank may have been a bad idea.

"Maybe we should have thought before we did it," Hunt said.

In fact, the penny prank has earned 29 students two days of detention.

"I don't think a detention is unfair," parent Wendy Hunt said. "I'm a little bit proud of them... I think communication is definitely key."

CBS 2 HD did the math …

Each student brought in 200 pennies. Multiply that by 29 you get close to 5,800 pennies.

The superintendent says the students never raised concerns about the shortened lunch before. If they had, he would have worked with them.

"There are opportunities and avenues to raise concern," Schiff said.

The eighth graders, who arranged the prank through text messages, admit they didn't raise concerns before but:

"There was no rule in the rulebook about it," student Sarah Henschel said. "It was just unfair. It's U.S. currency."

Rulebook or not one parent whose son brought in pennies said he'll have to face the consequences.

"This will send a message to him that, hey, what you're going to do and how it affects other people," Lisa O'Donoghue said.

The eighth graders continued protesting Friday by brown-bagging it, but also gave the lunch ladies cards apologizing.
I see nothing wrong with this myself, and if it were high school age me, I'd refuse to do the detention.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
ITs money I paid a traffic ticket the same way in CT. Fuck em 86.00 in pennies i went to the bank and un-rolled them all. and Went to Waterbury with a bag of pennies.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
US currency. Take it, bitch.

Mar 17, 2006
CBS 2 HD did the math …

Each student brought in 200 pennies. Multiply that by 29 you get close to 5,800 pennies.
Wow. They really went out on a limb on that one, didn't they? Did they consult the CBS 2 HD Doppler 7,000,000 to get that answer?

Psssst....200 X 29 is equal to 5800. It's not close to 5800. It IS 5800.

Dopes.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Speaking of pennies... Has Anthony made his final alimony payment yet?

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I heard a local radio station talking about this, however I did not hear the entire story. I think part of the problem is that it was a half-day, and rather than change the schedule, they students had every class, but shortened periods, including lunch.

Honestly, I think detention is too harsh. What if my parents were living paycheck to paycheck, and I had to pay for lunch out of my piggy bank? Fuck that.

BTW, the local station is calling for all kids in the state to pay for their lunches in pennies in support of the Reddington 29. :)

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I heard a local radio station talking about this, however I did not hear the entire story. I think part of the problem is that it was a half-day, and rather than change the schedule, they students had every class, but shortened periods, including lunch.

Honestly, I think detention is too harsh. What if my parents were living paycheck to paycheck, and I had to pay for lunch out of my piggy bank? Fuck that.

BTW, the local station is calling for all kids in the state to pay for their lunches in pennies in support of the Reddington 29. :)
If your parents were living paycheck to paycheck, you'd probably be getting free lunches

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I'm fighting a ticket in Readington. One that's gonna seriously fuck me over.

Yup. I'm bringing a bag or two.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Apparently, the school knew of the shirts before this happened? If so, why not open up dialect with students and their gripes? Way to teach them that their free speech and making statements only gets them in trouble. Be good little sheeple.

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
If it was only a half-day, then whats the problem? The lunch ladies should have plenty of time to count and roll that many coins. STFU and GBTW.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Some of the kids were cool to pay em in rolls so not to screw over the lunch ladies. The cards were a nice gesture as well.

Detention is a stupid workaround to addressing the problem & making a civic lesson out of it. Lazy assholes. I hope they find another way to fuck with the administration.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
well, who's the stupid ones? i say the lunch ladys, after the first few kids they should have just taken what they were given assuming that the kids were'nt trying to short them (kids arnt that smart, even if they were being smart asses) as for rights.... kids dont have them when there fighting the school unless they want to ware IM GAY t shirts then those commie ACLU fuckers will stick there nose in, other wise you have no rights in school

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
The easy thing to do is invest in a coin counter. They aren't that expensive, and that'll teach the little fuckers.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
If retards go to eating dimes and quarters, it will start being worth luring them into the alley and gutting them for change.

Mar 17, 2006
The easy thing to do is invest in a coin counter. They aren't that expensive, and that'll teach the little fuckers.
Get a Coinstar machine for the school and get Coinstar to split the proceeds with the school.

2 days of detention? Big deal. In 5 years, nobody will give a shit. It's not like it's a suspension.

Jolie

Filthy Liberal
Aug 25, 2002
Virginia
All the idiot lunch ladies needed to do was get little baggies, put the kids' money into a bag (for each kid), put a name with it and count it later. If they are over or under, deal with the kids the next day.

Detention for paying for lunch is just silly.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
This issue isn't how the lunches were paid for. Pennies are indeed US currency and are acceptable as payment for lunch in any school.

In HT's example, she and maybe a few other kids would be paying out of their piggy banks due to the necesity to do so and that's fine.

Jolie's idea requires that after the lunch workers are done cooking for the day and have cleaned all their utensiles and put everything away for the day they're now supposed to sit down at a big table and count out 5800 pennies keeping track of which child may have shorted them. What did they do to deserve that? When you're done with work one day how would anyone like their boss telling them "oh before you leave, count these pennies and make sure there's 5800 OK"?

What's at issue here is there was a coordinated effort by some number of children to slow down the lunch line and needlessly make extra work for people who did nothing to them. It was an assholish and selfish act by the children and detention is indeed appropriate IMHO.

A story like this stirs anti-atouritarian urges in all of us and we wish to see the school district taken down a few pegs, but after that feeling subsided in me, I imagined myself as a poor lunch lady being given a hard time by a bunch of spoiled fucking brats when I just want to take off my hairnet and go the fuck home.