Suggest Some Great Non Popular/Mainstream Sci Fiction/Fantasy Movies

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Post any great sci fi movies that are or may not be very well know. I'm off tomorrow and need some suggestions.

Oh and I have already seen Moon.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Independence Day

NoRez

Old, tired warrior woman originally from Antland.
Jun 20, 2008
NY-born Bostonian.
Somewhat obscure one (nowadays) - Silent Running. It's about a ship that houses giant greenhouses that grow the earth's trees and plants in the hopes of eventually transplanting them to a planet we haven't completely fucked, and the small crew that takes care of it. Bad things happen but it's not aliens or monsters. The sets and effects are very well done and it will make you feel stuff (emotionally.)

THX1138 always needs to be seen at least once. It's the movie that started the dream that turned into a nightmare.

Moon (from a couple of years ago) was very good, however if you watch THAT and Silent Running in one sitting you may want to have people check in on you from time to time.

oh - forgot your Moon comment - disregard ;-)

NoRez

Jun 20, 2008
NY-born Bostonian.
Shit, I totally forgot Sunshine - loved that one!

NoRez

Jun 20, 2008
NY-born Bostonian.
Hell, watch the whole series start to finish, there's a whole day of fine viewing!

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Ugh you Firefly assholes are really starting to bother me. It is mainstream, get over it. It was canceled just like every other amazing sci fi show that no one liked but everyone watched. The /thread just makes you that much more of a jerkoff about a one season tv show that no one cares about anymore other than you fucking jerks. Here is a great non popular sci fi fantasy movie: 2001.

/firefly wasnt that good so deal with it

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Hell, watch the whole series start to finish, there's a whole day of fine viewing!
Yes. All 14 episodes that leave you wanting more. Then you watch Serenity, cum your pants, and watch all of it over again.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Monolith Monsters
Logans Run
Andromeda Strain
Forbidden Planet
Soylent Green
Omega Man
When Worlds Collide
Earth vs. The Flying Saucers
Them
Thing From Another World

NoRez

Jun 20, 2008
NY-born Bostonian.
2001 is great but scheduling a day of viewing around it is like trying to watch a bunch of action movies and tossing Apocalypse Now into the mix. It wears you out. Can't go too epic if you're planning to watch more than one film.

Hey OArchive, have you seen all of Plinkett's reviews for the Star Trek and Star Wars movies? If not, I suggest it as an alternate viewing experience. They're funny as hell and TOTALLY on the mark.

Dec 4, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
Thanks guys and relax Fletch. Firefly was a great show and I only discovered it after it was cancelled through word of mouth. It definitely belongs in this thread.

I think i'll re watch Sunshine, then THX1138 (heard it's a must see but never have) and Silent running, then I'll start working of Cousin Dave's list.

Oh and yeah Plinkett is a definitely a master of his craft I have all his reviews on an external.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Farscape if you want to get serious about a tv show. The first several episodes are hateable but the rest of the serious is fantastic.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Sorry, OA, I just get annoyed with the Firefly bunch. Ill keep from derailing your thread again. Carry on and godspeed.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Doesn't get much appreciation these days, The Day the Earth Stood Still (the 50's version)

2010, Event Horizon, Primer, Timecrimes

Stalker if you want pretty pictures but not much story wise (novel it's based on is way better), Gattaca, Dark City

I dunno, these are all pretty obvious if you like Sci-Fi. If you don't like the genre then it's all it's all 'non popular'

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I forgot about Dark City. I loved that flick. I've seen that about a dozen times. The musical score was awesome too. The 13th Floor wasn't bad.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I didn't read this thread since my lame ID4 joke (nor did I read it after going back into it), but I'd actually recommend doing a day of 1950s sci-fi films. They might lack the panache of a lot of the 70s/80s works (is the original Solaris considered sci-fi?), but it might be kind of fun chilling and watching The Day the Earth Stood Still, When Worlds Collide, Them!, The Thing From Another World, The Man with X-Ray Eyes, the original War of the Worlds, the original The Time Machine. Throw in an MST3K or two like Teenagers from Outer Space or It Conquered the World (He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature...) and you have yourself a meal.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I didn't read this thread since my lame ID4 joke (nor did I read it after going back into it), but I'd actually recommend doing a day of 1950s sci-fi films. They might lack the panache of a lot of the 70s/80s works (is the original Solaris considered sci-fi?), but it might be kind of fun chilling and watching The Day the Earth Stood Still, When Worlds Collide, Them!, The Thing From Another World, The Man with X-Ray Eyes, the original War of the Worlds, the original The Time Machine. Throw in an MST3K or two like Teenagers from Outer Space or It Conquered the World (He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature...) and you have yourself a meal.
I'd throw in Forbidden Planet to that mix. Leslie Nielsen in a serious leading role from 1956. You forget how old he was in our day. It's actually quite ahead of its time. Nice flick.