Suggestions for fixing scratch in laminate

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
We just installed new laminate flooring and withing 1 week this appeared:

Whatever it is it isn't deep at all because I can just about feel it with my finger tips. I tried touching it up with acetone but that didn't help at all. I can't imagine what this could be from because we are being really careful until we get some area rugs. We are going to get the Quick Step Fix Kit http://us.quick-step.com/installation-and-care/cleaning-maintenance?tab=4 and try and touch it up but before that does anyone have a suggestion on how to take care of this? Perhaps a good was we should apply the repair kit?

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
Try Countertop Magic spray cleaner - orange can. I have seen it in the HomeDepot. This has worked best for us

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
If those are scratches, there really isn't a way to fix em. That's the shitty thing about laminates vs. actual hardwoods. Looks like it could be scratches from and animal, high heel, or maybe a rock in someones shoes.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I would lean towards the repair kit... or perhaps a wax pencil approximating the color then harden the wax with a lacquer... that is what is prob in the kit or something similar.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
i'd try one of those minwax markers or something to make it less noticeable.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
What brand of flooring is it? I have Pergo in my kitchen that's 10 years old and looks brand new, and Swiftlock in my dining room that is all scratched up after a year.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
What brand of flooring is it? I have Pergo in my kitchen that's 10 years old and looks brand new, and Swiftlock in my dining room that is all scratched up after a year.

The moral of the story is buy once, cry once.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
If those are scratches, there really isn't a way to fix em. That's the shitty thing about laminates vs. actual hardwoods. Looks like it could be scratches from and animal, high heel, or maybe a rock in someones shoes.
This is what I'm thinking. The kit is a motherfucker to find. I just can't believe that quick the floor is fucked up.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
This is what I'm thinking. The kit is a motherfucker to find. I just can't believe that quick the floor is fucked up.
Well, with dark wood floors you will see every scratch, every bit of dust and just any imperfection along those lines. Lighter wood could be completely trashed and it would be hard to see.

Just call it 'character' and try to move on.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
Why not just pull up trim and step back pieces and replace it?

Love the fast easy intall of these floors but absolutely hate the sound of walking on them.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Why not just pull up trim and step back pieces and replace it?

Love the fast easy intall of these floors but absolutely hate the sound of walking on them.
I can but not easily. It's almost all the way to the beginning of the rows.