Iron Man 3
Star Trek Into the Darkness
Wolverine
Kick Ass 2
Man of Steel
Pacific Rim
2 Guns
WWZ

All of them were average and forgettable movies.

I see these amazing trailers and have so much hope going into these films and not a single one delivered what I wanted.

I remember going to the movies and watching The Matrix, Usual Suspects, Sixth Sense, and so many other amazing Summer films that you wanted to watch over and over.

Does anyone else feel the same way??

On a side note... I have a lot of hope in this group of Fall Films.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I didn't see Wolverine, Kick Ass 2, or 2 Guns, but I agree with your overall assessment. This summer was a great big pile of meh.

One thing I'll give @LiddyRules credit for. While he hasn't really made me think any better of Man of Steel, he has sort of unintentionally made me think a bit less of Star Trek Into Darkness. The two movies are very similar in terms of the missteps with the story and some of the character development. So the more I ask him "How could you like MoS when it did this, and not like Star Trek, that did the same thing?" The more I'm asking myself "Well, how you could you like Star Trek, stupid?"

I guess my answer is the energy level kept it entertaining, even if the plot didn't exactly make sense. But as I sit and think about it...yeah, they could have made it much better. As Neon said, the near misses are sometimes more frustrating than the total disasters.

That's why I find Iron Man 3 the most frustrating - it might have been the best movie of the 3 in terms of having a coherent plot, but there were a couple of major missteps that really hurt it.

Even Pacific Rim, as fun and fantastic as it was, had some things that would have really held it back had it come out in a different year. Like, would it stack up at all to the "best summer blockbuster" from any of the last 5 years? Avengers, X-Men First Class, Inception, Star Trek, or Iron Man/The Dark Knight? Maybe not. You probably have to go back to 2007 and Transformers to find a similar "Best summer blockbuster."

Last edited:

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Get ready for many more just like this one as long as the comic book movies keep making big money.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I haven't seen a single summer movie so far I don't think, with the exception of On The Road last night. I'm still waiting for all this shit to be released on DVD.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Get ready for many more just like this one as long as the comic book movies keep making big money.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3722&p=.htm

It's official—Summer 2013 was the highest-grossing Summer ever, by far.

Overall domestic box office earnings came in at $4.76 billion during the Summer, which begins on the first weekend of May and goes through the end of Labor Day weekend. That's up 11 percent from last year, and up eight percent from the previous record (2011's $4.4 billion). Even taking in to account ticket price inflation, Summer 2013 was still very strong: an estimated 583 million tickets were sold, which is the most since 2007.

That's a massive improvement that seems to contradict the narrative that this Summer was a disappointing one at the box office.

The strong earnings were spread across the entire season. Three of the four months this Summer—May, June and August—set all-time monthly records, while July 2013 was the second-highest-grossing month ever behind July 2011.

Year-to-date box office is at $7.68 billion, which is up slightly from last year's record pace. If the momentum from the Summer can carry in to the Fall, there's a very good chance that 2013 winds up beating 2012's $10.8 billion.

As usual, the top of the domestic box office chart was dominated by franchise fare: the six highest-grossing movies were either sequels (Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, Fast & Furious 6, Star Trek Into Darkness), prequels (Monsters University) or reboots (Man of Steel).

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
You probably have to go back to 2007 and Transformers to find a similar "Best summer blockbuster."
I think you need to go back to the first Pirates Of The Caribbean movie for a truly great popcorn flick. Sure the other three are garbage, but that first one has to be my favorite summer movie of the past decade.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I think you need to go back to the first Pirates Of The Caribbean movie for a truly great popcorn flick. Sure the other three are garbage, but that first one has to be my favorite summer movie of the past decade.
My personal soft spot for Iron Man and Avengers aside, I guess I don't really disagree with that. I'm sure the Nolan boys would throw his 4 (5) movies in ahead of that, too. But that first one did really hit all the right notes.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
2012 wasn't much different.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
The last movie I saw in the theater was Pacific Rim. Since then, nothing has come out that's made me want to spend one of my days off sitting in a theater. Even if there is something that I was interested in seeing, I have decided that I can wait until its on Netflix.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The last movie I saw in the theater was Pacific Rim. Since then, nothing has come out that's made me want to spend one of my days off sitting in a theater. Even if there is something that I was interested in seeing, I have decided that I can wait until its on Netflix.
I don't know if you're into the whole Edgar Wright thing, but The World's End was fantastic.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I don't know if you're into the whole Edgar Wright thing, but The World's End was fantastic.
That's on my "to see when its on Netflix list". I need close captions when comes to watch anything featuring actors from the United Kingdom.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
That's on my "to see when its on Netflix list". I need close captions when comes to watch anything featuring actors from the United Kingdom.
I was able to do ok with this movie, but I'm with you for the most part. I don't think I would have made it through the Red Riding trilogy without them.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
You're absolutely right. Everything I saw that summer, except for the Avengers, was either mediocre or dogshit.
Uh oh.

I'll be under my desk if anyone needs me.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
For me, the difference between 2012 and 2013 was that the movies I did see last year (The Avengers, Prometheus The Dark Knight), I wound up seeing twice in the theater. There was something about each film that made me want to see them immediately. The films were also different in style and tone.

While the ones I saw this year (Iron Man 3, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Man of Steel, and Pacific Rim) while for the most part enjoyable (Iron Man 3 being the only stinker out of the bunch), were pretty much one and done when it came to seeing them in the theater. They also shared similarities when it came to the action sequences and think by the time I had gotten through Pacific Rim, I was becoming burned out by the huge summer blockbusters.

Although I will watch all of them again when they come out on DVD. Except for Iron Man 3.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Pacific Rim takes the cake for me. Saw it twice and had a blast both times.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
I didn't like STID nor Iron Man 3 too much because of plot holes. I didn't feel like I needed to take Pacific Rim seriously, and so any dumb stuff I just checked off as the movie being campy.

The two movies I liked the best was 'This is the End' and 'The World's End'.