OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Summer Movies 2013.. Disappointing

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by AlanSmithee, Sep 3, 2013.

1. AlanSmithee

AlanSmithee Registered User

I went to the movies 8x this summer.

I checked out:

Iron Man 3
    Star Trek Into the Darkness
    Wolverine
    Kick Ass 2
    Man of Steel
    Pacific Rim
    2 Guns
    WWZ

All of them were average and forgettable movies.

I see these amazing trailers and have so much hope going into these films and not a single one delivered what I wanted.

I remember going to the movies and watching The Matrix, Usual Suspects, Sixth Sense, and so many other amazing Summer films that you wanted to watch over and over.

Does anyone else feel the same way??

On a side note... I have a lot of hope in this group of Fall Films.

2. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

I didn't see Wolverine, Kick Ass 2, or 2 Guns, but I agree with your overall assessment. This summer was a great big pile of meh.

One thing I'll give @LiddyRules credit for. While he hasn't really made me think any better of Man of Steel, he has sort of unintentionally made me think a bit less of Star Trek Into Darkness. The two movies are very similar in terms of the missteps with the story and some of the character development. So the more I ask him "How could you like MoS when it did this, and not like Star Trek, that did the same thing?" The more I'm asking myself "Well, how you could you like Star Trek, stupid?"

I guess my answer is the energy level kept it entertaining, even if the plot didn't exactly make sense. But as I sit and think about it...yeah, they could have made it much better. As Neon said, the near misses are sometimes more frustrating than the total disasters.

That's why I find Iron Man 3 the most frustrating - it might have been the best movie of the 3 in terms of having a coherent plot, but there were a couple of major missteps that really hurt it.

Even Pacific Rim, as fun and fantastic as it was, had some things that would have really held it back had it come out in a different year. Like, would it stack up at all to the "best summer blockbuster" from any of the last 5 years? Avengers, X-Men First Class, Inception, Star Trek, or Iron Man/The Dark Knight? Maybe not. You probably have to go back to 2007 and Transformers to find a similar "Best summer blockbuster."

#2 Pigdango, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  3. Guilty Spark

Guilty Spark It's freeing and refreshing

Get ready for many more just like this one as long as the comic book movies keep making big money.

4. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I haven't seen a single summer movie so far I don't think, with the exception of On The Road last night. I'm still waiting for all this shit to be released on DVD.

5. Pigdango

Donator

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3722&p=.htm

6. thekidslepthere

thekidslepthere Registered User

I think you need to go back to the first Pirates Of The Caribbean movie for a truly great popcorn flick. Sure the other three are garbage, but that first one has to be my favorite summer movie of the past decade.

7. Pigdango

Donator

My personal soft spot for Iron Man and Avengers aside, I guess I don't really disagree with that. I'm sure the Nolan boys would throw his 4 (5) movies in ahead of that, too. But that first one did really hit all the right notes.

8. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

2012 wasn't much different.

AlanSmithee likes this.
  9. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

The last movie I saw in the theater was Pacific Rim. Since then, nothing has come out that's made me want to spend one of my days off sitting in a theater. Even if there is something that I was interested in seeing, I have decided that I can wait until its on Netflix.

10. Pigdango

Donator

I don't know if you're into the whole Edgar Wright thing, but The World's End was fantastic.

11. Stormrider666

That's on my "to see when its on Netflix list". I need close captions when comes to watch anything featuring actors from the United Kingdom.

Pigdango likes this.
  12. Pigdango

Donator

I was able to do ok with this movie, but I'm with you for the most part. I don't think I would have made it through the Red Riding trilogy without them.

13. AlanSmithee

AlanSmithee Registered User

You're absolutely right. Everything I saw that summer, except for the Avengers, was either mediocre or dogshit.

Pigdango likes this.
  14. Pigdango

Donator

Uh oh.

I'll be under my desk if anyone needs me.

15. Stormrider666

For me, the difference between 2012 and 2013 was that the movies I did see last year (The Avengers, Prometheus The Dark Knight), I wound up seeing twice in the theater. There was something about each film that made me want to see them immediately. The films were also different in style and tone.

While the ones I saw this year (Iron Man 3, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Man of Steel, and Pacific Rim) while for the most part enjoyable (Iron Man 3 being the only stinker out of the bunch), were pretty much one and done when it came to seeing them in the theater. They also shared similarities when it came to the action sequences and think by the time I had gotten through Pacific Rim, I was becoming burned out by the huge summer blockbusters.

Although I will watch all of them again when they come out on DVD. Except for Iron Man 3.

16. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Pacific Rim takes the cake for me. Saw it twice and had a blast both times.

17. Discoman

Discoman Well-Known Member
    Donator

I didn't like STID nor Iron Man 3 too much because of plot holes. I didn't feel like I needed to take Pacific Rim seriously, and so any dumb stuff I just checked off as the movie being campy.

The two movies I liked the best was 'This is the End' and 'The World's End'.