SummerSlam 2011 - August 14th

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
No shit...one of "The Big Four" PPVs is this weekend and no one started a thread for it? Sure that's normally my bailiwick but still...
Oh wait, that's because the storylines heading into it are lacking, outside of CM Punk vs. John Cena

And what the fuck's up with yet another lackluster theme song for a major PPV? Sure I'm biased and will never believe that there can be any better song & build than Highway to Hell with Austin vs. Undertaker...but c'mon, at least try. Oh, and lastly, they're less than 3 days away & have only announced 3 matches and Beth Phoenix vs. Kelly? Boo-fucking-erns

Undisputed WWE Championship Match: CM Punk (C) vs. John Cena (C) special guest referee: Triple H

WWE.com said:
Having each earned the right to call themselves the WWE Champion, John Cena and a returning CM Punk will collide at SummerSlam in Los Angeles. There, these dynamic Superstars will determine who deserves the right to become the undisputed bearer of the WWE Title at The Biggest Event of the Summer.

To ensure that this bout is called down the middle and that there is no outside interference, WWE’s Chief Operating Officer Triple H will serve as special guest referee to personally crown the first-ever Undisputed WWE Champion. Under the watchful eye of The Cerebral Assassin, there will be no doubt who deserves to be the sole holder of the coveted title this Sunday in Los Angeles.

For the first time since the title’s inception in 1963, two ring warriors are in possession of the WWE Championship, thanks to Punk’s shocking re-emergence on the July 25 edition of Monday Night Raw. Just moments after Cena had bested newly crowned WWE Champion Rey Mysterio that night to win the title for a ninth time (his eleventh World Title overall), a smirking Punk confidently strode down the entrance ramp to offer his own unique form of congratulations to The Champ – by confronting Cena and holding his own WWE Championship high above his head.
(WATCH | PHOTOS)

Aiming to provide some semblance of order to this complicated WWE Championship scenario, Triple H mandated the following week that both titleholders clash at SummerSlam, with the victor going down in the history books as the one, true WWE Champion.

At WWE Money in the Bank – held in his hometown on what was believed to be his final night as a WWE Superstar – Punk accomplished what many believed to be an impossible feat. Despite Mr. McMahon’s best efforts to ensure that The Second City Savior would not leave WWE with its most cherished prize fastened around his waist, Punk ultimately finished off The Cenation Commander-in-Chief with a Go to Sleep to ensnare the coveted title before vanishing from WWE forever … or so we thought. (READ MORE)

With Punk’s controversial victory and subsequent departure seeming to vacate the WWE Title, The Chairman scheduled a tournament to establish a new champion. Although the tournament was successful in naming a new WWE Champion in Rey Mysterio the following week, it would come to be known as Mr. McMahon’s final executive decision. Citing a vote of no confidence from WWE’s Board of Directors, Triple H relieved his father-in-law of his duties, revealing himself as the new COO of WWE.

In his first-ever “State of the WWE” address, The Game announced the beginning of a new era under his regime. Chief among The King of Kings’ decrees was a WWE Championship Match pitting Cena against The Ultimate Underdog on the same night Mysterio won the title for the very first time. Ever the fighting champion, The Master of the 619 was more than willing to put it all on the line against Cena, whose hustle, loyalty and respect prevailed that fateful night in Hampton, Va. For the second time in as many hours, a new WWE Champion’s hand was raised high in victory. (WATCH | PHOTOS)

However, The Champ had little time to savor his incredible WWE Title win, as his victory celebration was crashed by the returning Straight Edge Superstar, who made it abundantly clear to the WWE Universe that “the best in the world” was back to question the legitimacy of Cena’s reign. However, with The Cerebral Assassin officiating, such questions will indeed be answered at SummerSlam. (WATCH CONTRACT SIGNING)

Will CM Punk solidify himself as the undisputed WWE Champion? Or will John Cena make The Second City Savior regret stepping back into a WWE ring? To find out, tune in to SummerSlam, August 14, live on pay-per-view.

No Holds Barred Match for the World Heavyweight Championship: Christian (C) vs. Randy Orton

WWE.com said:
At SummerSlam, World Heavyweight Champion Christian will attempt to cool the intense heat of his No. 1 contender Randy Orton in a brutal No Holds Barred Match for the World Title.

The epic showdown was created by WWE’s new Chief Operating Officer Triple H on the July 29 edition of SmackDown (WATCH), in the midst of a sea of controversy surrounding the circumstances by which Christian captured his second World Title from The Viper at WWE’s Money in the Bank pay-per-view. (PHOTOS)

But, ultimately, the fuse for the explosive rivalry between Christian and Randy Orton was lit just five days after Christian fulfilled a lifelong dream, winning the World Heavyweight Championship for the first time at Extreme Rules (PHOTOS). Before his reign could even get off the ground, Randy Orton pinned his shoulders to the mat on the very next SmackDown and shattered his whole world. WWE’s Apex Predator then defeated his prey again in a hard-fought rematch at WWE Capitol Punishment.

Over the next several weeks, Christian’s inability to recover the illustrious title started to eat away at him. Already convinced that he could beat The Viper, he began to believe that SmackDown General Manager Theodore Long, Orton and even the WWE Universe were ultimately preventing him from reclaiming what was rightfully his.

Refusing to speak directly to the WWE Universe any longer, the resentful Christian soon enlisted the help of lawyers to correct what he believed was an unlevel playing field. This led to a special condition in the contract for his World Heavyweight Championship Match with Orton at Money in the Bank: If Orton was disqualified, Christian would automatically be awarded the title.

Once such a stipulation was in place, controversy seemed inevitable. And when Christian spat in the face of his adversary during their pay-per-view battle, Orton would be unable to stop his uncontrollable rage. Hitting his No.1 contender with a low blow, The Viper was immediately disqualified. And regardless of what the stunned WWE Universe thought, Christian once again held the title in his grasp. (PHOTOS)

No matter how Christian won the World Heavyweight Championship, no one can deny his tremendous ability in the ring. But, with no a disqualification clause to stand behind, can he overcome the uncontainable anger of Randy Orton at the Biggest Event of the Summer? Find out at SummerSlam, Sunday Aug. 14 at 8/5 PT, only on pay-per-view.

Sheamus vs. Mark Henry

WWE.com said:
Announced exclusively on WWE.com, Mark Henry and Sheamus will collide at SummerSlam in a rivalry that has quickly grown more intense than the summer sun itself. But, will the fight of The Celtic Warrior be enough to overcome the meanest “Fella” in all the land?

Mark Henry’s recent rampage – over any and all that have gotten in his way – has sent shock waves throughout WWE. He took out the likes of Big Show, Kane (Watch), Vladimir Kozlov (Watch) and even a WWE sound technician who fell onto his dangerous radar (Watch). It seems that Henry derives pleasure not just with defeating his opponents, but by destroying them completely. And as a result of his enraged attacks, not only is a lawsuit pending against him, but SmackDown General Manager Theodore Long can no longer find Superstars willing to meet him in the ring.

That was until the fierce Sheamus decided to pick a fight with The World’s Strongest Man. On the July 29 edition of SmackDown, the Irish grappler laid down the gauntlet of battle, shocking the WWE Universe by slapping The World’s Largest Athlete. He then dropped from the top rope to avoid Henry’s charge and sent the enraged Superstar plummeting to the ringside floor.

No one can deny that Sheamus has a great love for battle, fused with a brutal nature that is sure to give him an incredible match against the infuriated Henry. But whether the luck of the Irish will allow him to triumph over his massive adversary at The Biggest Event of the Summer remains to be seen.

Find out who will emerge from the ultimate battle of the brawlers at SummerSlam, Sunday, Aug. 14 at 8/5 PT, only on pay-per-view.

Learn more about The Celtic Warrior's feelings towards his enraged SummerSlam foe in the WWE.com Exclusive, "It's an Irish thing."

And, hear what Sheamus had to say about the upcoming encounter on the Aug. 5 edition of SmackDown (Watch).

Divas Championship Match: Kelly Kelly (C) vs. Beth Phoenix

WWE.com said:
The Biggest Event of the Summer just got a whole lot hotter, as Beth Phoenix will challenge Divas Champion Kelly Kelly for the illustrious Divas Championship at SummerSlam. And if winning the title means destroying Kelly in the process ... well, so be it.

Since claiming her first Divas Championship, Kelly Kelly has been on an absolute tear, scoring a barrage of high-profile victories in singles, tag team and even 7-on-7 Divas Tag Team match-ups. Kelly Kelly has practically grown up before the WWE Universe’s eyes, working more than five years to get her chance to shine. Yet even though her triumphs appear as golden as the August sun, the challenge she is about to face could ultimately leave her scorched.

In a Raw Battle Royal featuring both Raw and SmackDown Divas to determine the No. 1 contender to the blonde bombshell, The Glamazon overcame the entire Divas locker room. Perhaps one of the most heralded and dominant Divas ever to grace WWE, one thing has fallen out of her grasp – the Divas Championship. As she hoisted both Bellas out of the ring, Beth Phoenix grabbed her chance at the butterfly-emblazoned title, and took aim at Kelly Kelly, proclaiming: “Your days as the cute, little blonde-haired bimbo are over.” (WATCH | PHOTOS)

Can Kelly Kelly continue to hold the Divas Title she has worked so hard for, or will The Glamazon show the WWE Universe exactly who is pin-up strong? Find out at SummerSlam, Sunday, Aug. 14 at 8/5 PT, only on pay-per-view.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I'd argue that the Christian vs Orton has somewhat of a storyline to it from what I've gathered.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
That's true, but it's not as compelling as the CM Punk one

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
No shit...one of "The Big Four" PPVs is this weekend and no one started a thread for it? Sure that's normally my bailiwick but still...
Oh wait, that's because the storylines heading into it are lacking, outside of CM Punk vs. John Cena

And what the fuck's up with yet another lackluster theme song for a major PPV? Sure I'm biased and will never believe that there can be any better song & build than Highway to Hell with Austin vs. Undertaker...but c'mon, at least try. Oh, and lastly, they're less than 3 days away & have only announced 3 matches and Beth Phoenix vs. Kelly? Boo-fucking-erns

Undisputed WWE Championship Match: CM Punk (C) vs. John Cena (C) special guest referee: Triple H

No Holds Barred Match for the World Heavyweight Championship: Christian (C) vs. Randy Orton

Sheamus vs. Mark Henry

Divas Championship Match: Kelly Kelly (C) vs. Beth Phoenix

I agree. They will never be able to top The "Highway to Hell" promo for Austin vs The Undertaker. I think the last good song the WWE has used to promote one of their PPV as Metallica's "All Nightmare Long".

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
The promotion for what is supposed to be a MAJOR PPV sucked
I hope they don't blame Punk for the buyrate
I know Vince is upset with ratings going down & feels like catering to the "insiders" with Punk might not be the way to go as he always preaches

topher520

learnings for queers
Jul 5, 2006
Boston
My link to this has been Disabled so if anyone has another later on this would be good...Winky

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Bryan vs. Barret added also. May try to catch some of this later myself ;)

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Papagolash posted a link in the MITB thread that had a few options

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I got one that is working and decent quality if you need it.

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
Ok never mind, read the MITB thread and I'm good to go.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Fuckin A, the MITB worked fine on my feed, now its fucked.

Deadhead

P.I.S.S. Card Holder #54
Jan 21, 2006
Pottersville, GA
That went to shit fast!

So what I know:
Six Man Tag Team Match
Rey Mysterio, John Morrison & Kofi Kingston vs. The Miz, R-Truth & Alberto Del Rio
It's Kingston and Miz to start, and Kingston quickly takes control with a drop kick. Kingston makes the tag to Morrison, and Kingston and Morrison hit a double flap jack before hitting a double kip up. Miz makes the tag to Truth, and Morrison immediately goes to the ground and pound. Morrison drops Truth with the Flying Chuck and gets a two count. Truth beats Morrison down to the mat, but Morrison creates some distance and heads up top. Miz pushes Morrison off the top and down to the floor, and we get a break in the action as the referee regains control of the match. Truth heads outside to retrieve Morrison and rolls him back into the ring. Truth connects with a snap mare and locks in a seated chin lock. Truth makes the tag to Miz, and Miz goes right back to the seated chin lock. Morrison fights back to his feet and breaks the hold with a Pele Kick before diving to the corner and making the tag to Kingston. Kingston comes off the top rope and levels Miz with a double ax handle. Kinston heads to the corner and hits the Best Crossbody Ever (i.e., the Best Moonsault Ever, except with a crossbody). Del Rio charges the ring and knocks Mysterio off the ring apron, but Kingston tosses Del Rio out of the ring. Miz catches Kingston with a modified stunner and gets a long two count. Miz makes the tag to Truth, and Truth hits the Truth Conviction before making the tag to Miz. Kingston catches Miz with an arm drag takedown and follows up with a double stomp to the chest. Miz makes the tag to Truth, but Kingston FINALLY makes the tag to Mysterio. Truth goes for a sunset flip, but Mysterio rolls through, kicks Truth in the face, and gets a two count. Mysterio sets up Truth for the 619, but Miz rushes the ring. Mysterio sets up Miz for the 619 next to Truth, but Del Rio rushes the ring. Mysterio tosses Del Rio out of the ring, and Morrison connects with a corkscrew plancha. Mysterio connects with the 619 to both Truth and Miz, and Miz is knocked out of the ring. Kinston comes off the top rope and connects with a crossbody to Miz on the outside. Mysterio comes off the top rope and connects with a splash to Truth for the three count.
Match Result: Rey Mysterio defeats R-Truth with a top rope splash.
Match Length: 9:40