Superman/Doomsday coming out Tuesday

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Any Superman geeks out here in Wackbag world, Tuesday is a great day! The cartoon/movie adaptation of Frank Miller's phenomenal graphic novel "The Death of Superman" is finally coming to DVD. Can't wait!

Snake2k9

C'mon Sonnen.
Apr 20, 2004
Staten Island
Frank Miller didn't write that.I'm also excited for it and the New Frontier dvd that's coming too.

hypes

Flying over your heads
Sep 23, 2004
Iowa
x2 on the "Frank Miller didn't write that"

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Darwin Cooke's butchered adaption of his 12 issue mega series?^ The New Frontier

thrawn42

Hackmaster Jones Sr.
Jul 26, 2005
Seattle
I was just thinking..."Frank Miller wrote that?"

Cool stuff though anyway.

Snake2k9

C'mon Sonnen.
Apr 20, 2004
Staten Island
John Bryne had nothing to do with it. The storyline, devised by editor Mike Carlin and the Superman writing team of Dan Jurgens, Roger Stern, Louise Simonson, Jerry Ordway, and Karl Kesel, met with enormous success: the Superman titles gained international exposure, reaching to the top of the comics sales charts and selling out overnight. The event was widely covered by national and international news media.

^From "The Death of Superman" wikipedia page.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Damn, that's right. I had the actual novel and I remember the guys name was huge on the cover. Roger Stern. Now I remember it clearly.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Damn, that's right. I had the actual novel and I remember the guys name was huge on the cover. Roger Stern. Now I remember it clearly.
ironically i got a copy of the hardcover version of the book you speak of a foot away from me never read yet is it any good?

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Roger Stern. I stand corrrrrected.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
ironically i got a copy of the hardcover version of the book you speak of a foot away from me never read yet is it any good?
I have it as well, liked it very much. Very faithful to the comic series.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Yea, it's a good read. It is pretty much the comic with narration and a few extra bits of dialogue and such.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I had no idea there were so many comics fans here. I'm definitely renting this one. Bruce Timm directed it; sure bet to be watch-able.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I hope it's good, lately I've been on a Superman: The Animated Series kick.

GLENN_THE_TOOL

The reward is cheese.
May 23, 2005
definitely going to pick it up. a lot of people want the next Superman live-action movie to be about The Death of Superman, but i dunno how good of an idea that is. the Doomsday character is pretty two-dimensional, and it came off feeling forced when they later tried to make him more than just an unspeaking, unstoppable killing machine. and i read Kevin Smith's script for Superman Lives and it stunk ass. Doomsday works best as a two-dimensional character, but once he does what he's there for and kills Superman, there isn't much use for him after. any movie involving Doomsday killing Superman halfway through the movie will end up feeling unbalanced because Doomsday is disposed of after he offs Superman. he's one big throwaway character, little more than a plot device.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I think people just want the next live Superman movie to actually have action. And not just be a lame retread of Superman except with a Stalker Depressed Superman, Thorazine Lois and the gayass Superkid. And I see more people pushing for Brainiac or Darkseid than Doomsday.

GLENN_THE_TOOL

The reward is cheese.
May 23, 2005
I think people just want the next live Superman movie to actually have action. And not just be a lame retread of Superman except with a Stalker Depressed Superman, Thorazine Lois and the gayass Superkid. And I see more people pushing for Brainiac or Darkseid than Doomsday.
true, Doomsday, Darkseid, and Brainiac are the three names that are thrown about the most. some people remember how huge Superman's death was, so they want to see Doomsday, but i think people who see how thin the Doomsday character is would rather see Brainiac or Darkseid. Braniaic is a way to go, but which origin will they use? if they make Brainiac from Krypton, they run the risk of retreading the Kryptonian villain angle from Superman II. i'd rather see Darkseid attack Earth in a huge fucking invasion, and i certainly don't want to see them go the old Kryptonite route again. let's see someone kick the shit outta Superman without the aid of Kryptonite.

ratedRsuperstar

...when McCainia runs wild on you!!!!
i used to have the 1st edition of superman #75 and remember thinking "wow! this is the death of superman! this is going to be worth some serious $$$$" then, 6 months later, many printings of the issue and a less than exciting "return" i think traded it for a stack of "less valuable" comics that ended up being better stories.

i saw a preview of this dvd a while back on ign and in one clip it had the ressurrected supes in the black and silver suit with the short mullet so i don't think the climax will be the death scene but i don't think they're going to incorporate the eradicator, superboy, steel, and cyborg "no I AM superman!" story

i may rent it as the dc animated stuff < marvel animations

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
i used to have the 1st edition of superman #75 and remember thinking "wow! this is the death of superman! this is going to be worth some serious $$$$" then, 6 months later, many printings of the issue and a less than exciting "return" i think traded it for a stack of "less valuable" comics that ended up being better stories.
The return was fan-fucking-tastic.

They had aliens nuke a major DC city(Coast City) and wipe it all out. No bones about it. No turning back time or trying to right it. They had one of the best betrayal scenes when the cyborg grabs the Eradicator and rips his chest wide open with a cannon burst.

I think that Superman had the absolute best writing team it ever had during those years. It's been downhill since.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I just saw Superman Returns on HBO a couple of weeks ago. It was like half way of filming it, the director, oh wait we need a action scene and threw together his confrontation with Lex Luthor. And you don't know how pissed I was when they didn't say truth, justice, and the American way.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I just saw Superman Returns on HBO a couple of weeks ago. It was like half way of filming it, the director, oh wait we need a action scene and threw together his confrontation with Lex Luthor. And you don't know how pissed I was when they didn't say truth, justice, and the American way.
The action sequence was the plane sequence (from the pilot of Superman: The Animated Series (see, I can bring it all around) with dialogue, of course, from Superman 1). An action scene in a Superman movie should not have Lex Luthor doing all the action...unless he's in that purple robot suit.

I just hope in S:MOS, Singer doesn't waste another $10 million on a scene which he cuts from both theatrical and DVD release because he feels it can only be seen on a big screen. So many people clamoring for that re-release.

ratedRsuperstar

...when McCainia runs wild on you!!!!
The return was fan-fucking-tastic.

They had aliens nuke a major DC city(Coast City) and wipe it all out. No bones about it. No turning back time or trying to right it. They had one of the best betrayal scenes when the cyborg grabs the Eradicator and rips his chest wide open with a cannon burst.

I think that Superman had the absolute best writing team it ever had during those years. It's been downhill since.
at the time the story was ok but not having the "death" last a little while longer seemed a little rushed. take what marvel's doing now with cap being dead, he's (steve rogers) is dead and not coming back. when marvel pulled the redux of all of they're top lines they decided to go for broke and have since had bucky and punisher take the role to which both said "nah, i'm not cap."

but, apparently they're starting a new event next year where many of the charcaters will be revealed to be skrulls ie elektra's recent second death, which explained her second return, so, in theory the cap that died was a skrull impersonator the whole time and the original cap died in the 40's

so, looking back and the "return" storyline, it probably would have made for a better gimmick had they just used eradicator as the "new superman" , kept the cyborg around as the main antagonist (the red version of him) and kind of put the luthor stuff to the side as his beef was with the original and they could have had some darker stories going on, like the azrael-batman was darker and more brutal than the wayne batman, then bring the original supes back a while later when the new supes kind of loses it

i used to be big into comics and, like i said on another board, quit reading them when i discovered alcohol and pussy. only recently have i began partaking in graphics and trades again and have noticed that i've missed alot in the comic world.

GLENN_THE_TOOL

The reward is cheese.
May 23, 2005
well i picked it up today and just finished watching. i'll put the rest in spoiler tags, but i don't think i give away too much about the movie (and really, we know Superman dies, that's not what i'm worried about spoiling).

the story kinda goes into the "who cares" realm once Doomsday is out of the picture, which is what i was afraid of in the first place. it samples a little of the aspects of the four Supermen angle but the four Supermen are themselves avoided. there is a nice cameo by our pal Kevin Smith, who takes a little jab at his own Superman Lives script which made me smile.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
there must of been a mix up in my Area cause there arent any copies of Superman Doomsday at any of the local stores.