OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Supreme Court to hear corporate human rights case

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Impossible. Corporations aren't people and only people can violate human rights...

:trollol:

Still don't see how a court case involving foreign governments and corporations has jurisdiction here...

2. Discoman

Discoman Well-Known Member
    Donator

If you commit a crime in another country according to that 1789 law you can be tried for it here. If a corporation claims is dubbed a person, and is in the US, then I guess you can be tried for it.

I doubt the supreme court will rule against companies.

3. jagsfans

jagsfans Registered User

The best line I heard on this issue is "I'll believe corporations are people as soon as the state can execute one."

4. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

hmmmm i wonder if apple will be on the chopping block next for the shit they pull in china. the other thing is the only people making out with this kind of shit are the lawyers

5. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Yup, we'd see a huge increase in frivolous lawsuits in the hopes that these companies just settle. Raising the cost of business = more outsourcing/layoffs. This is the last thing we need right now.

6. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

This is what I am wondering, too.

That's the only good thing I could see coming from this, but that's probably my utter hatred of Apple clouding my judgement.

Or it could cause them to move their factories to better location, or even the US. Either way, though, costs go up. Like Cock mentioned, I'm still not sure the justification for this being brought into US courts, though.

7. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I don't like the concept of "forcing" a company to operate within a country. If what Apple does is so unethical, then don't purchase their products (I personally don't, but that's for different reasons). Obviously Americans put more value on affordable smart phones than forcing a company to open their plant here... because if they had to build iPhones in America the cost would double, minimum.

And you're right, human rights violations should to addressed in the jurisdiction they occurred in.