`Survivor' Lunch Lady Won't Take $50,000

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005

Dec 19, 1:04 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- Denise Martin, who gained fame as the lunch lady on CBS' reality show "Survivor: China," is donating the $50,000 she received from producer Mark Burnett to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDs Foundation.

Martin told viewers on Sunday night's live finale that she'd been demoted to janitor at a school in Douglas, Mass., after finishing fourth on the show. After hearing her story, Burnett surprised Martin with the money to help get her life back.

On Tuesday, Martin acknowledged on CBS' "The Early Show" that she'd been promoted to custodian, at her own request, before the competition began.

"It was not my intention to be misleading," Martin, 40, said on the broadcast. "I'm sorry, and I apologize to everybody."

In a statement issued Tuesday by the network, Martin said she took "full responsibility" for her actions.

"I do not feel comfortable about accepting the $50,000. I would instead ask that it be donated to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation," the statement said. "Please accept my apology. I would also like to thank all the people who have supported me through this experience."

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
During the announcement that Burnett was giving them the money, the camera shot over to her husband and that fat bastard looked kinda pissed.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I was shocked to find out that she was married to a DUDE since I really thought she was a bull dyke.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Wow...how stereotypical can you get? A butchy lunch lady with a mullet? And you mean to tell me Survivor isn't scripted??

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
Wait, so she's not gonna keep the money because she's gotten PROMOTED to custodian? Holy Shit! Either job makes it seem like she certainly could use the 50K.

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
She could use the money but I think that she turned it down because of pride. I don't think she wanted to be a charity case. Even though she went on and on how she lost her job and is now a janitor.