Sushi for the beginer

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Hoping you guys and gals can help me out here. Never had, never tried it, and honestly the thought of raw food scares me. But I'm willing to change my ways. What would be a non-scary dinner of Sushi be for a beginer. I don't want to be scared, or damage myself for another chance of trying it again in the future. My sister just raves about it. Her and her husband go with their frends and spend hours at the place drinking beer and eating all night. The thought of someone bringing me a plate of raw fish like the picture below makes me want to run away. My girlfriend has already emphatically stated theres no way in hell shes going with me. SO it will just be me and a Japanese chef who doesnt speak Engrish very well.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
you may want to just start with the cooked stuff like shrimp tempura rolls and spider rolls (deep fried soft shell crab). Basic sushi dinner is like piece of tuna, whitefish, salmon,yellowtail, shrimp all over rice. The stuff with the orange balls I would stay away from at first, its fish eggs.

Also spicy tuna/whitefish/yellowtail are pretty good, most places kinda mush it up then roll it so your not biting into huge chunks of fish.

There are sooooo many different rolls out there, Eel avacado is really good

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
California rolls are great starter for most people, if you can handle that then try the regular Tuna rolls.

DoucheMeister

I'm a douche!
Jun 2, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Start with the california rolls, tuna, salmon and white fish. And just a touch of wasabi mixed with the soy sauce.

Nothing radical there, either in taste or texture.

Damn, now I'm hungry....

J D

Staten Island Sucks
Jun 18, 2000
Staten Island
grab any roll; you can't go wrong with them

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Start with any Maki type roll. The fish to rice ratio is a little less off-putting that way. Tuna Maki is pretty much everyone's first piece of sushi that actually contains any raw fish. Dab your chopsticks in the wasabi before you pick up a piece, dunk it in your little soy sauce bowl and pop the whole piece in your mouth. It's also perfectly acceptable to eat sushi with your hands. That's why often you get a hot towel first. Do not however bite a piece in half, that's bad form

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
California rolls are great starter for most people, if you can handle that then try the regular Tuna rolls.
your right, I just hate california rolls.... its a fucking ripoff! Theres nothing to them.

If you like fish then just get the sushi dinner/combo its normally 9 pieces some places add a 6 piece cali roll to it, like I said you will get shrimp/tuna/salmon/whitefish/yellowtail over rice. Most places also throw in the 2 different fish eggs two.

Dont be afriad of eel either man, its really fucking good.

Hopefully you get into it then you can start trying rainbow rolls, dragon rolls and some other really crazy shit

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
Start with any Maki type roll. The fish to rice ratio is a little less off-putting that way. Tuna Maki is pretty much everyone's first piece of sushi that actually contains any raw fish. Dab your chopsticks in the wasabi before you pick up a piece, dunk it in your little soy sauce bowl and pop the whole piece in your mouth. It's also perfectly acceptable to eat sushi with your hands. That's why often you get a hot towel first. Do not however bite a piece in half, that's bad form
I went to a place last month that had the fish over rice but there was a little bit of wasabi already smeared onto the rice... it was fucking really good.

i dont put any wasabi on my sushi no more, it ruins it for me.. I like the taste of the fish/sauces

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
I went to a place last month that had the fish over rice but there was a little bit of wasabi already smeared onto the rice... it was fucking really good.

i dont put any wasabi on my sushi no more, it ruins it for me.. I like the taste of the fish/sauces
Yeah, that's typical for Nigiri Sushi (Fish Over Rice). It's just enough most of the time.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
there is nothing i like more than a nice piece of quivering yellow fin with a dash of soy, a drop of sesame oil and a sliver of pickled ginger

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I suggest that you pass on any sushi joints in Middle USA unless you live there ....Trust me...

NikkorTheMonk

Apr 26, 2005
Thanks for the advice. I'll give a posting laster this week to give my experience.

FAngel

I Drink YOUR Milkshake!
Mar 2, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
Ask for Unagi by name - it's eel in a sort of barbecue-like sauce. Deelish.

MDiaMAok

Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg NC
i say go for the 13 year old trout. its a little old for my taste, but it knows what its doing.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I suggest that you pass on any sushi joints in Middle USA unless you live there ....Trust me...
yea, no shit, never eat sea food more than a days drive away from the ocean, the exception of shrimp and king crab, there frozen on the boats or at least while there still jumping

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I just had sushi for the first time a few weeks ago. I'm hooked. Of course, I had bf order for the 2 of us and I can't remember exactly what we ate, but it was awesome. I would suggest going with your sister & having her suggest what you should eat. Unless she's like my family, and would order some hard core stuff just to fuck with you.

We did do the fish over rice, and I know some of it was fluke.

Do not however bite a piece in half, that's bad form

Never knew that.

I, too, was scared to try it. My stomach isnt the strongest so I was alwasys afraid to try it. Especially if I was far from my bathroom.

Try and find a place that has a good reputation for having quality food. High price doesnt alwasys mean high quality, and cheap doesnt always mean you are getting crap. I try to stay away from the exotic stuff, mainly eat Salmon, Tuna, and Whitefish. Had eel a few times and its not horrible.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
your right, I just hate california rolls.... its a fucking ripoff! Theres nothing to them.

Hopefully you get into it then you can start trying rainbow rolls, dragon rolls and some other really crazy shit
x2

i hate the Cali rolls. they just suck, and often times beginers dont like them either. i like Dragon rolls, and if you can find someone that can make a mean SuperCrunch, that IMHO is the best.

i was at a sushi resturauntcalled fugi's in Tulsa on Sunday, and the guys sitting next to me said that its some of the best Sushi in the US. I was like, you are Tards..... its fucking Oklahoma, BBQ might be some of the best, but not sushi.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
had a roll today with fucking banana in it!!!

It was shrimp tempura, banana, and eel with the small eggs on top.... it was fucking AWESOME!!!!!!!

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Great starter rolls:
California Roll
Spider Roll
Volcano Roll
Spicy Tuna Roll

Things to stay away from (mostly due to texture, not taste... If you freak yourself out, you won't ever be able to enjoy it):
Anything eel or octopus
Anything with excess eggs
Anything mushy

Actual sushi that's good for beginning the non-roll sushi eating:
Salmon
Tuna
Whitefish

Also, to go along with what BCH said about not biting the pieces in half... If you're having a hard time eating the pieces whole, you can request the sushi chef cut the pices in half, or cut the rolls into smaller pieces. They'd rather do that for you then see you bite them in half.

Oh, and mix some wasabi into your soy sause until it dissolves. It's good shit mang