Suspect in Mt. Rainier shooting found dead in snow

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
Orange County,NY - Hudson Valley
MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK, Wash. - An armed Iraq War veteran suspected of killing a Mount Rainier National Park ranger managed to evade snowshoe-wearing SWAT teams and dogs on his trail for nearly a day. He couldn't, however, escape chest-deep snow.
A plane searching the remote wilderness for Benjamin Colton Barnes, 24, on Monday discovered his body lying face down on the mountain hours from where authorities could get to him.

Barnes is believed to have fled to the remote park on Sunday to hide after an earlier shooting at a New Year's house party near Seattle that wounded four, two critically. Authorities suspect he shot ranger Margaret Anderson later Sunday.
SWAT teams more used to urban standoffs trekked deep into the backcountry, unfamiliar territory for them.
"We have SWAT team members with snowshoes on the side of a mountain," Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said. "This has never happened before."

Immediately after Sunday's shooting, police cleared out the park of visitors and mounted a manhunt.
Fear that tourists could be caught in the crossfire in a shootout with Barnes, who had survivalist training, prompted officials to hold more than a 100 people at the visitors' center before evacuating them in the middle of the night.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57351021/suspect-in-mt-rainier-shooting-found-dead-in-snow/

THRILLHO

Apr 5, 2009
Bothell, Wa.
Icy that the shooter had a hard time walking in the snow. It appears he put no thawd into this.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
So really, this is what First Blood should have been
This was my first thought.

"Here lies John Rambo, recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor and survivor of numerous operations behind enemy lines. Killed by cops in bum fuck nowhere for the heinous crime of vragrancy."

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Sad. I guess he had PTSD and killed 4 other people near Seattle. There is going to be more of this.
Theres a semi-well known photographer in the gun community that's a full time LEO in that area. He had met the Ranger that was killed in passing. From what he's said on Facebook about the shooting, I get the feeling this asshat was into some trouble before joining the military and possibly developing PTSD.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Best solution possible. The scumbag is dead and no cop has it on his conscience.