Swatting: The left's new tactic to silence and terrorize conservatives

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Keepin' it classy libs...

May 29, 2012

Swatting: The left's new tactic to silence and terrorize conservatives

There used to be a time when liberals and conservatives could disagree on issues without fear of retribution. Those days, however, appear to be gone. Now, it seems some on the far left are willing to engage in what can only be described as political terrorism.

On Tuesday, Townhall's Katie Pavich reported on a tactic now being used to silence and even terrorize conservative bloggers.

The tactic is called "swatting," and has been used against at least three bloggers.

"They call the police from a phone program pretending to be (insert conservative blogger here), say something horrific such as 'I just shot my wife,' hang up and then laugh as a local SWAT team descends on the house of (insert conservative blogger here) for no real reason," Pavich wrote.

Lee Stranahan noted that blogger Mike Stack was swatted last June. Audio of the fake 911 call can be heard at the Crying Wolfe.

"And then on my podcast interview with Patterico last night, someone who seems to be the swatter called into the show, admitted to swatting Pat, laughed, and lashed out at Michelle Malkin," he wrote on Monday.

Patrick Frey, who runs the conservative blog Patterico's Pontifications, wrote Friday that someone used the tactic against him last July - and it nearly got him killed.

Pavich added that CNN contributor and Red State editor-in-chief Erick Erickson was targeted this weekend.

"The SWATting occurred just after Erickson had written a piece about left wing domestic terrorist and convicted Speedway bomber Brett Kimberlin," she reported.
According to Erickson, his family "was sitting around the kitchen table eating dinner when sheriff's deputies pulled up in the driveway."

Erickson said that his experience was nothing like Frey's, but added that "the Erickson household is on somebody’s radar."

"Luckily," he added, "it was two sheriff's deputies who knew me and I had already, last week, advised the Sheriff’s Department to be on the lookout for something like this."

The technique is called "swatting," because, as Frey wrote, "it can bring a SWAT team to your front door."

"Anxious police," Frey added, "believing they are responding to the home of an armed and dangerous man, show up at the front door pointing guns and screaming orders." As one can imagine, the hoax can be quite dangerous for the victim.

On Tuesday, former Justice Department attorney J. Christian Adams wrote that the Justice Department "could stop this behavior quickly because it almost certainly constitutes a federal crime."
He cites federal law - in this case 18 U.S.C. 241:
If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
According to Adams, Erickson and Frey were targeted because of their conservative speech, something the attackers disagreed with.
Adams said that attorneys at the Justice Department could "initiate FBI investigations which would quickly reveal the wrongdoers, then prosecute them."

But will they?

The technique is not new, and others have been successfully prosecuted for swatting in the past.

ABC News reported last August that one group of swatters "prosecuted by the FBI was responsible for 300 calls in 17 states."

In 2008, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that a Washington man was sentenced to two and a half years in federal prison for his role in a nationwide swatting conspiracy "that included prank calls intended to scramble the police and SWAT teams in Alvarado and Fort Worth on unsuspecting victims."

According to ABC, "watters can face federal charges of conspiracy, carrying a maximum penalty of five years in prison, and fraud, with a maximum of 20 years."

On Monday, blogger Lee Stranahan offered a reward for information that leads to a conviction of the person or persons behind the swatting.

"Call it my investment in the First Amendment," he wrote, adding that within minutes of posting, others had offered to contribute to the fund.

http://www.examiner.com/article/swa...tactic-to-silence-and-terrorize-conservatives

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Just taking a page out of Tea Party's playbook I see, huh?

Oh, wait.... :icon_cool

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Yeah, it's not anything new. Breitbart, who was friends with blogger Patrick Frey who got "swatted" in June 2011, mentioned it in a final radio interview he did before he died...

[O]ne of the things they’ve done to people who have worked with me in the past, including an L.A. prosecutor, is to “SWAT.” That means that they’re spoofing phones, pretending to be somebody else’s phone, calling 911, and saying “I killed somebody” and then the person’s home is met with the guns drawn, the SWAT and the helicopters, in a horrifying act. It’s happened twice: once in New Jersey, once in Los Angeles, with an L.A. County . . . prosecutor who [is] associated with me.”
These were bloggers that criticized this far lefty kook Brett Kimberlin. He and his buddies went after the guy on Twitter, and then he was "swatted". I'd say it's pretty fucking dangerous. SWAT is going in thinking they've got dangerous man with a gun inside. It won't always end with both parties realizing the call was a hoax.

I also hear these nutjobs go on internet message boards and threaten to beat people up by giving them an address to meet up for a fight, suggesting they fight in a boxing ring and have a national radio show cover it, and by posting their own cock pics. ;)

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
That's your standard MO isn't it, attacking the source? You just did it two days ago on one of my posts. And these guys are as much "my" guys as the nuts firebombing abortion clinics are to you.
Yeah but the abortion clinic psychos aren't being funded by progressive super-villain George Soros and high-profile neo-royalty like Teresa Heinz-Kerry and Barbara Streisand either. They're always isolated nutjobs that are completely condemned and disavowed by pretty much ALL conservatives from top to bottom. Brett Kimberlin (drug dealer, alleged child molester, convicted perjurer, forger and Indiana Speedway Bomber who spent 17 years in prison) on the other hand has HUGE donors and essentially epitomizes what the Left has become. He is Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dorhn. He is Saul Alinsky and Lisa Fithian. He is Occupy.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Yeah but the abortion clinic psychos aren't being funded by progressive super-villain George Soros and high-profile neo-royalty like Teresa Heinz-Kerry and Barbara Streisand either. They're always isolated nutjobs that are completely condemned and disavowed by pretty much ALL conservatives from top to bottom.
Maybe not politicians but they're somewhat supported by fundamentalist church leaders. And even Catholic priests.

Brett Kimberlin (drug dealer, alleged child molester, convicted perjurer, forger and Indiana Speedway Bomber who spent 17 years in prison) on the other hand has HUGE donors and essentially epitomizes what the Left has become. He is Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dorhn. He is Saul Alinsky and Lisa Fithian. He is Occupy.
The guy's a piece of shit. Soros and Streisand's foundations have given money to his charities. You know how those silly libs are. They think because a guy did his time he comes out all reformed and a fine upstanding citizen. :icon_cool

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I have a new one called Nigging. I send a bunch of ******* to your house thinking that there's money, guns, and dope in there. They find none and kill everybody in the house.